Diverse Divers discussion

Dumplin'
This topic is about Dumplin'
Jan'19: Dumplin' > Spoiler-Free Discussion (24/7)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lili , Moderator (last edited Dec 20, 2018 08:38PM) (new) - added it

Lili  Marcus (marcus_lili) | 75 comments Mod
Hi Divers,
Dumplin' by Julie Murphy

It's official. Our Book of the Month is Dumplin' by Julie Murphy. Here is where we will discuss this book in a completely SPOILER-FREE manner. Talk about how you feel about the book and how's your reading. Or are you rereading it?

Let's chat... But don't drop any vital information regarding the story/plot. Besides, there's a place for spoilery chats. :)

---Watch out for our reading sprints on twitter @DiverseDivers every Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun nights at 8 p.m onwards.

--We'll also have a movie night for this book since the adaptation is on Netflix but we still don't know when. What date works with you all. Comment please.

Thank you Divers.
--Lili and Vinny

message 2: by Divine (new) - added it

Divine   (vinedicated) | 10 comments Ooohhhhh I'm so excited for the reading sprints!!!

message 3: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Mavence wrote: "Ooohhhhh I'm so excited for the reading sprints!!!"

Ah me too. :) :) I've been wanting to read it. And the movie too. Have you watched the film adaptation?

message 4: by Divine (new) - added it

Divine   (vinedicated) | 10 comments Lili wrote: "...been wanting to read it. And the movie too. Have you watched the film adaptation?"
Not yet! I've read 1/3 of the book last year but failed to finish it hahahaha at least we all could watch it and give reactions to the film!!

message 5: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Yes, that would be amazing. When January starts we'll have a survey as to what date and time we can watch the film...

message 6: by Shandra (new) - added it

Shandra | 7 comments Have any of you guys ever watched together using Rabb.It?

https://www.rabb.it/

I could set it up for us to use my room -or I can join someone else's room- to stream the film live together. We'd have a chat box to "talk" in during the film as well.

My brother was very entertained when I bought my copy of the book because I didn't want the film tie-in cover so we had to go to a bookstore instead of Wal-Mart to buy mine. I can't help it! I'm not a fan of the adaptation covers for the most part. I tend to prefer the original art.

message 7: by Divine (new) - added it

Divine   (vinedicated) | 10 comments Shandra wrote: "Have any of you guys ever watched together using Rabb.It? "

WOAHHH that's a great option! Plus we could all watch at the same time!!

message 8: by Shandra (new) - added it

Shandra | 7 comments Mavence wrote: "WOAHHH that's a great option! Plus we could all watch at the same time!!"

It's a great program. You can use your gmail/google account to sign in or Facebook or just register for free with any email you use regularly. I was introduced to it through my writer's server on Discord. We've done some group watches for film favorites.

I think the reason I enjoy it the most is it's a way to make the world smaller. We can be together regardless of distance since we're all "on" in the same place at the same time. The world can always use more ways to allow people to connect.

message 9: by allieereads (new) - added it

allieereads | 9 comments I can't wait!! I'm going to buy the book this week !! I'm excited for the reading sprints and I would love to be able to watch it all together haha, that would be super cool!

Allie

message 10: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

allieereads wrote: "I can't wait!! I'm going to buy the book this week !! I'm excited for the reading sprints and I would love to be able to watch it all together haha, that would be super cool!

Allie"

I'm excited too., This is gonna be my first time buddy reading with a group...

message 11: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Shandra wrote: "Mavence wrote: "WOAHHH that's a great option! Plus we could all watch at the same time!!"

It's a great program. You can use your gmail/google account to sign in or Facebook or just register for fr..."

I made an account there but haven't tried using it yet. But Vinny, our group's other moderator, says she keeps getting errors...

message 12: by Jayati (new) - added it

Jayati (justacoffeeaddictedbibliophile) | 2 comments Lili wrote: "allieereads wrote: "I can't wait!! I'm going to buy the book this week !! I'm excited for the reading sprints and I would love to be able to watch it all together haha, that would be super cool!

..."

Same! I can't wait.

Jordan    ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Fairy Tales & Tea☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ (fairytalesandtea) | 3 comments I’ve been putting off watching the film until I can read it and I finally have an excuse to make myself read it! I love book clubs! :D

message 14: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Jordan ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Fairy Tales & Tea☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ wrote: "I’ve been putting off watching the film until I can read it and I finally have an excuse to make myself read it! I love book clubs! :D"

We're now officially reading it Jordan, :) :) Hope you enjoy it.

message 15: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments Is there a way to get notifications when someone posts a new comment? I missed all of these comments from earlier. Also - HAPPY 2019!!! 😬😬

message 16: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "Is there a way to get notifications when someone posts a new comment? I missed all of these comments from earlier. Also - HAPPY 2019!!! 😬😬"

Happy New Year Michael... I get all the notifs coz I'm the one who started the thread. But I think if you're a member, you get notifs too coz I get notifs from my other groups. Maybe there's soemthing I need to do in the settings or something. hehe... I'll get back to you in a minute.:)

message 17: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments I found the notifications settings for this thread. I believe each member needs to turn them on so they get notified. Can’t wait to start reading!!!!

message 18: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "I found the notifications settings for this thread. I believe each member needs to turn them on so they get notified. Can’t wait to start reading!!!!"

Great... Also I learned if you didn't turn it on, you only get notifs of the discussions you already commented to.. Have you commented to our Introduction yet? And to our author's thread and book recommendations?
:) :) We have discussions for authors.

message 19: by allieereads (new) - added it

allieereads | 9 comments Happy New Year everyone!!

I just begun reading Dumplin and I’m enjoying it - haha I’ve only read like two chapters- I like the way Murphy writes!

Allie

message 20: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments Lili - I have not! Perhaps I missed the links for those?

message 21: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "Lili - I have not! Perhaps I missed the links for those?"

Just go to the main page of our group and you'll see them all there. You'll find discussions author-friendly :)

Here's our main page link:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 22: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 3 comments Happy new year!

Maybe I missed something, but... what is the "diverse" aspect of this book?

message 23: by Vinny, Moderator (new) - added it

Vinny (artsydraft) | 17 comments Mod
allieereads wrote: "Happy New Year everyone!!

I just begun reading Dumplin and I’m enjoying it - haha I’ve only read like two chapters- I like the way Murphy writes!

Allie"

Happy new year, Allie! I'm just about to start reading it tonight and I'm super excited!!!

message 24: by Vinny, Moderator (new) - added it

Julia971 wrote: "Happy new year!

Maybe I missed something, but... what is the "diverse" aspect of this book?"

Happy new year, Julia! Well, for us, the diversity aspect of this book lays on the acceptance of all shapes and sizes. We feel this would be a great choice because for many people, especially those in their teenagehood, this book could represent their story and validating their real life experiences. :)

And thank you for your question! I hope you'll be joining us to read Dumplin'! :)

message 25: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 3 comments Vinny wrote: "Julia971 wrote: "Happy new year!

Happy new year, Julia! Well, for us, the diversity aspect of this book lays on the a..."

Thanks for your answer and your explanation! :) I have so many books to read, I'm not sure for this book (this month), but I'm interested.

message 26: by Vinny, Moderator (new) - added it

Julia971 wrote: "Vinny wrote: "Julia971 wrote: "Happy new year!

Happy new year, Julia! Well, for us, the diversity aspect of this book..."

You're welcome, Julia! Let us know if you decided to join the fun!!!

message 27: by Vinny, Moderator (new) - added it

Hey everyone! How far is your progress? I'm currently on Chapter 9 and I really enjoy the book so far!

message 28: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments Just got the paperback today! (Yeah Amazon!) I read the first two chapters on my Kindle (because they were free) and cant wait to dive in further. I like the authors writing style! It’s very youth oriented and fresh.

Misty (mistysbookspace) | 5 comments Vinny wrote: "Hey everyone! How far is your progress? I'm currently on Chapter 9 and I really enjoy the book so far!"

I have actually already finished it. I started it last month and put it on hold so I could participate in this group. I only had like 25% of it left and I finished that on the 1st.

message 30: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments Made it to Chapter 15 and I have to say, I am really loving this book! The main character is SO real and SO believable I just can’t help but fall in love with who she is. I’m not ashamed to admit that this book would never have made my TBR if it wasn’t for this group, but I’m so glad it did.

message 31: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "Made it to Chapter 15 and I have to say, I am really loving this book! The main character is SO real and SO believable I just can’t help but fall in love with who she is. I’m not ashamed to admit t..."

I'm glad you're liking it. I haven't started it though. I got sick but I'm better now and will read much tonight.

message 32: by Kate Ashley (new) - added it

Kate Ashley (allthetrinkets) | 3 comments I just started reading Dumplin' yesterday and OHMIGOSH YOU GUYS. Okay. I'm gonna backtrack a bit because there is no context with my excitement :D

So I've been on a reading slump FOR MONTHS. I have these two books that I promised the authors I'll read and I haven't touched them AT ALL for the whole 2018. I'm deeply ashamed and my follow-through self is scolding me so hard.

BUT THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD. I agree with Michael that Will is so real. Even though I'm not round, I could relate to her insecurities. I stopped when I finished chapter 19 because I won't get any work if I continue hehe, will be in the reading sprint this evening though! :D

message 33: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments Okay - Chapter 29 is PURE GOLD! So much energy, so much emotion! If you haven’t read it yet, just wait. It’s like a perfect plate of nachos where every bite has a little bit of everything and it just makes you want more!
For those that have read past that chapter, I want to hear what you thought of it! No spoilers please - but how did you respond?

message 34: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Kate Ashley wrote: "I just started reading Dumplin' yesterday and OHMIGOSH YOU GUYS. Okay. I'm gonna backtrack a bit because there is no context with my excitement :D

So I've been on a reading slump FOR MONTHS. I hav..."

Michael wrote: "Okay - Chapter 29 is PURE GOLD! So much energy, so much emotion! If you haven’t read it yet, just wait. It’s like a perfect plate of nachos where every bite has a little bit of everything and it ju..."

Hi Michael and Kate, we'll have a discussion tomorrow about the first half of the book but tonight we'll have reading sprints on twitter... Will you be free to join us?

message 35: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Chrobak (mchrobakauthor) | 14 comments What time will the reading sprints run? I have plans, but with time zone differences it may be possible

message 36: by Lili , Moderator (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "What time will the reading sprints run? I have plans, but with time zone differences it may be possible"

Everyone's busy too.. so maybe it'd be midnight for me...It's 8 p.m. here.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dumplin' (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julie Murphy (other topics)