Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Authors You Have Met

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia | 114 comments I think the title says it all... please list any authors you have met in real life, whether at book signings, or personal friends who have had books published. I will put the links to the authors I have met so that you can check out their works. So, in no particular order:

Eric Walters

Loris Lesynski

Christine Rees

Jocelyn Adams

B.A. Dearsley

H. Werner Zimmermann

John Ibbitson

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Lucky you.
I have met some but norwegian authors so not worldwide known, but in case any norwegians are reading this:

Siri Pettersen(she has books translated to german, danish, italian, portugese)

Kristine Oseth Gustavsen

Endre Lund Eriksen

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia | 114 comments Evieroe wrote: "They’ve either friended me on GR (S. D. Smith and J. C. Cervantes) or have answered a few different questions I’ve submitted to them (all three)"

LOL I guess I could add Cornelia Funke, Christopher Paolini, and Mari Mancusi to my list, since I have written to and received bookplates from all three of them!

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia | 114 comments Oda Renate wrote: "Lucky you.t..."

All of the authors I met are Canadian... mostly writers of children's books. Most from my list are people I know personally who published books themselves.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia | 114 comments Oh, and my grade 2 class wrote to Robert Munsch to invite him to our school. He wrote back to us... and said "No." 😒

Long Live Wonderland | 23 comments I've only met two authors;

Marissa Meyer

Victoria Aveyard

message 7: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 1008 comments Michael Rosen

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Evieroe wrote: "They’ve either friended me on GR (S. D. Smith and J. C. Cervantes) or have answered a few different questions I’ve submitted to them (all three)"

Well if that counts I could add more.

Amy Plum ansewrered my gr Q.
Genevieve Cogman ditto

and am friends with Gail arroiger and in her facebook fans group.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael | 145 comments I had the pleasure of meeting Dean Koontz when I worked at Waldenbooks in California, very sweet and quiet man, so nice!! He shopped and bought a ton of books and then went down the street to a little mystery store book where he was friends with the owners, and I am sure had fun talking them up, I have read every book he has written, love the man!!!

message 10: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments I met children's author Jerry Spinelli when I was 11 years old and my class was filming a show on our school district's high school television station.

message 11: by Ernesto (new)

Ernesto Alvarado (ernestoalvarado) | 23 comments I love Book fairs and comic books conventions.
Here, a small list (jaja) of the amazing people that I have met.

Mario Vargas Llosa Nobel Prize winner

Gail Simone Great Wonder Woman writer

Jim Starlin Creator of Marvel "Thanos"

Elena Poniatowska "Cervantes" Award Recipient

Joe Haldeman Science Fiction writer

Milo Manara Italian Master of erotism

Carla Guelfenbein "Alfaguara Award"

Rius The Dean of mexican cartoonists

Humberto Ramos Illustrator of "Spider-Man"

Trino

Paco Ignacio Taibo II

Sanjuana Martinez

Élmer Mendoza

Brian Azarello

Benito Taibo

Fábio Moon

Liniers

Alberto Montt

Horacio Altuna

Nicolas de Crécy

Almudena Grandes

Bef

Alberto Chimal

Xavier Velasco

Verónica Murguía

Haghenbeck F.G.

Jonathan Rabb

Laura Restrepo

Fabrizio Mejía Madrid

Elia Barceló

Daniela Tarazona

Mónica Lavín

Myriam Moscona

Juan Villoro

Jours de Papier

message 12: by Janine (new)

Janine | 15 comments I've only met one so far: Debbie Zaken.

message 13: by Yas (new)

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments L. Sprague de Camp a sweet wonderful man. I knew him the last few years of his life.

Tanya Huff was her personal goffer at a scifi convention that I attend

Tee Morris another author I met at a scifi con

Margaret Weis at yet another scifi con. Both of my grandkids are named for characters in her books.

Charlaine Harris at a small bookstore where she was doing signings after, I think it was Dead as a Doornail.

Patrick Thomas Love, love, love Terrorbelle (again, at a scifi con. . .)

Anne McCaffrey I met her at (scifi con yet again) Dragoncon the last year she was able to attend. She'd gotten so frail by then, that she stayed in a wheelchair and was surrounded by "bodyguards" to keep anyone from touching her, which would have caused her a great deal of agony--and a possible trip to the hospital. I'd been a fan of hers since I was 13 and read the first Dragonriders book the year it was first published.

And another 20 or 30 other authors who I've met at, you guessed it--scifi cons. . . Unfortunately I can't get to my "autographed books" shelf right now (mainly because it isn't back up yet. I've just moved from one state to another, and from a 2100 sq. ft. house to a 1400 sq. ft. house. Plus, we went from 60 degree weather to 40's with the move. I do NOT like cold weather. But I will have the house up and running at some point in time in the near future, which will then give me the time I need to sort 3000 physical books and put them back in the correct order.

message 17: by S61, Creator/Chief Moderator (new)

S61 (kingdombooks) | 247 comments Mod
Any Ewing
Lexa Hillyer
Melissa Grey
Sean Waller

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin_wong) | 89 comments Holly Black!

message 20: by Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡‿◡)} (last edited Dec 29, 2018 06:20PM) (new)

Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡‿◡)} Audrey wrote: "Writers are everywhere, if you just look.

Friends/acquaintances who’ve been published: Charlie N Holmberg, John Olsen, Robin Glassey, [author:Cas..."

*jaw drops to the floor*

WOW! You've met Richard Paul Evans and Jennifer A. Nielsen?!! They are two of my favorite authors!!!

message 22: by Karin (new)

Karin I don't go to book signings or autograph things--I have relatives who are minor celebrities (under different surnames as they are various and sundry ones) so to me that's not a big deal. Authors are real people who beat the odds as NOT all talent gets published and not all published books are written by great talent but there is a market (heck, I like a number of books by authors who aren't great talent!)

Christie Harris my folks have been friends of her son all of my life so I met her when I was very small,.

Catherine Chant who was an online friend and I have met IRL a few times before her fist book was published. It is TRAGIC that this award winning writer had to self publish her first book because apparently time travel y/a novels where the character is going to the 1950s don't sell--I truly liked the book and gave it 4 stars NOT because I know her, because I don't do that!!! The book that I thought so good? Wishing You Were Here. I plan to read others in the future.

Doctors I met growing up in my hometown who wrote memoirs that were published by a reputable publisher (NOT self published, but take anything in them NOT about medicine with a huge grain of salt as the first one is born story teller so all of his family say the personal anecdotes are WRONG, but he kept notes on the medical stuff so it's right)

Eric Paetkau
Alan Swan

message 23: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 71 comments I have met dozens of authors, because of the work I do, but I have a good story about meeting Neil Gaiman. My friend Liza, who is a huge fan, asked me to meet her at a reading/signing which was occurring in my neighborhood. The tickets were numbered with our place in line for the signing. Since Liza had pre-ordered her ticket, she was some ridiculously low number, like 30-ish, but I got my ticket at the door, so I was in the 600's. After the highly entertaining reading, the "book-bouncers" let me wait in line with Liza, but made it clear that I would have to get back in my proper place in line if I wanted to have anything inscribed. (And there was a four-item-per-person limit.)
Liza and I got up to the table, and she mentioned to Neil that she was a librarian. He said, in that wonderfully rich voice of his, "I LOOOOVE librarians!" and warmly clasped her hand. Walking away, she was practically hyperventilating. "He touched my hand!" I walked her to her car, and it was all I could do to calm her down enough so that she could handle her two hour drive home.
Now that my friend had left, and there were about 500 people in line ahead of me, what was I to do? I was conducting research on graphic novels and literacy at the time, so I took the opportunity to return to the venue, and started some improptu interviews of the people in the line. I actually managed to gather quite a bit of anecdotal data in the three hours before my number was called.
Unfortunately, by the time I got to the table, poor Neil was suffering from hand cramps from signing his name over 2500 times. Being the helpful, (and completely unshy) person that I am, I pushed aside security and jumped behind the table next to Neil Gaiman. "I know just what you need to do!" I told him, and proceeded to teach him the hand stretch that my chiropractor had taught me for the very same issue.
"Oh, that feels dreadful!" he groaned. But within about a minute, his hand cramps had subsided, and he was ready to resume signing autographs (resulting in my signed copies of Anansi Boys and American Gods).
Several hours after putting a flustered Liza into her car, I called to see if she had made it home okay. "I touched his hand!" She was still breathless.
"Yeah," I said, "You may have touched his hand, but I FIXED his hand!"

message 24: by Zoe (new)

Zoe  (zoeward) | 4 comments Gail Carson Levine!! It was a dream to meet her, I LOVED Ella Enchanted! She was teaching a poetry class, and I about died when she read mine 😂

message 25: by Zoe (new)

Zoe  (zoeward) | 4 comments Gail Carson Levine!! It was a dream to meet her, I LOVED Ella Enchanted! She was teaching a poetry class, and I about died when she read mine 😂

message 26: by SugarPlum (new)

SugarPlum M. Zoe wrote: "Gail Carson Levine!! It was a dream to meet her, I LOVED Ella Enchanted! She was teaching a poetry class, and I about died when she read mine 😂"
Where do you meet authors?!

message 27: by Truebluedah ♪ (new)

Truebluedah ♪ (truebluedah) | 6 comments I met Ben Carson (who is more of a doctor than an author) when he performed brain surgery on my broken brain. 😂

message 28: by Sabrina (last edited Dec 30, 2018 11:51PM) (new)

Sabrina (booklovingpanda) | 7 comments I met Philip Pullman at a talk he gave at my university college a few years ago, and I recently met Philip Reeve at a talk/signing in my local Waterstones!

message 29: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (booklovingpanda) | 7 comments Nyla wrote: "I have met dozens of authors, because of the work I do, but I have a good story about meeting Neil Gaiman. My friend Liza, who is a huge fan, asked me to meet her at a reading/signing which was occ..."

Oh that's hilarious XD

message 30: by Abbie (new)

Abbie Lucy (abbielucy) | 10 comments ive been lucky enough to meet my favourite authors...

Rainbow Rowell

Cassandra Clare

Malorie Blackman

Victoria Aveyard

message 31: by Katie.dorny (new)

Katie.dorny (katiedorny) | 35 comments I met Derek Landy who was ever so lovely and funny

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Katie.dorny wrote: "I met Derek Landy who was ever so lovely and funny"

You have?
wow! Lucky lucky you :)

message 33: by Karin (new)

Karin I just remembered I met another last spring, but have forgotten her name. She's the grandmother of someone who played in my son's orchestra when he was at NEC prep.

No doubt I've met others and have completely forgotten.

I met author and illustrator Karen Patkau whose art is fabulous. I visited her at her apartment in the early 1990s so got to see some of those illustrations full sized on her walls--very detailed and well done.

message 34: by Vikas (new)

Vikas (vikaskhair) | 24 comments I am in India so just met few Indian authors so far, but going to Jaipur Literature Festival this month so hope to meet some authors from outside India too.

Kulpreet Yadav
Savi Sharma
Manjari Prabhu
Ashwin Sanghi
Reshma Qureshi
Nandan Neelakantan
Shweta Taneja

just these for now and I might have forgotten few.

message 35: by Ocean (new)

Ocean Weeks | 2 comments The only author's that I have met so far are Lindsay Cummings and Sasha Alsberg!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica the **Sexy Book Diva** (sexybookdiva) | 12 comments I have met a few small time local/self publushed authors at fairs and carnivals but the only Bestselling author I have met (as seen in my profile pic) is Beverly Lewis. She did a signing and talk at my local library and she was SUPER SWEET.

message 37: by Athen (new)

Athen (sunlightdun) | 10 comments I met Aviva Bel'Harold once at a bookstore. She introduced herself and I recognized one of the books she had written. I said "Oh I actually read that book!" She responded: "And you hated it?" I was like "no.... I actually really enjoyed it"
It was a very awkward encounter

message 38: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 277 comments Anna wrote: “Audrey wrote: “Writers are everywhere, if you just look.

Friends/acquaintances who’ve been published: Charlie N Holmberg, John Olsen, [author:Robin Glassey|847309…”

They live quite close!

message 39: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 277 comments Nyla wrote: “I have met dozens of authors, because of the work I do, but I have a good story about meeting Neil Gaiman. My friend Liza, who is a huge fan, asked me to meet her at a reading/signing which was occ…”

That is awesome. I saw Laurel K. Hamilton at a con (I haven’t read her stuff), and I noticed she came in late to a panel and had an ice pack on her arm just because she was dedicated to signing for everyone in the line. I have respect for that!

message 40: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 277 comments Truebluedah ♪ wrote: “I met Ben Carson (who is more of a doctor than an author) when he performed brain surgery on my broken brain. 😂”

Cool; now you have a famous brain. (Maybe?)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle Knudsen, Lisa McMann, Grace Lin, Anne Boles Levy (a family friend), maybe more I'm forgetting. I have lots of signed books but haven't actually met many in person, unfortunately.

message 42: by Maritina (new)

Maritina Mela (maritinamela) | 16 comments I've only met Alki Zei who's very popular in Greece. Got to meet her in her own home after my mother arranged a meeting with her publisher.
We chatted and a little before saying goodbye, she grabbed two books, one that was written by her and another that was translated by her, she signed them and gave them over to me

message 43: by Vikas (new)

Vikas (vikaskhair) | 24 comments Now I have met, Irvine Welsh, Yann Martel, Jeffrey Archer, Bee Rawlett, Andre' Acimen, Molly Crabapple, Mary Beard, Ramita Navai, Chitra Banarjee, Ben Okri all thanks to Jaipur Literature Festival 2019. Met before Kuldeep Yadav, Ashwin Sanghi and more. I loved meeting all the authors and getting my books signed.

message 44: by JoAlice (new)

JoAlice Christine McDonald the author of Cry Purple

Cindy (Romance addict) | 67 comments sorryposted karen twice

Andrea Lochen

message 47: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 152 comments I actually received an award personally from the author of the Pegasus series, Kate O'Hearn. I also got to go to Rick Riordan's Tour of Doom in September. It was so much fun!

Long Live Wonderland | 23 comments I've met
Marissa Meyer
Victoria Aveyard
Stephanie Garber
J.C. Cervantes

message 49: by PookyGurl (new)

PookyGurl | 77 comments I met Jasper Fforde. He was just as unique a person as I had hoped.

message 50: by Celia Buell (last edited Jan 29, 2020 08:07PM) (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 31 comments I haven't met many famous authors but I've met some authors in general. Going back from what I can remember:

Ann M. Martin (2009-ish)
Brandon Mull (2009-ish)
Celia Barker Lottridge (2012)
Jandy Nelson (2015)
Ally Condie (2015) - but haven't read any of her books yet
Meg Wolitzer (2015) - but haven't read any of her books yet

Oh, and I personally know Janie Baskin.

I've also Skyped with Jandy Nelson, Lesléa Newman, Karen M. McManus, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting through my high school's book club, and I've had meaningful conversations on Goodreads with Autumn Cornwell and one of my favorite authors, Scott Reintgen

« previous 1