Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Dr. Brittney Cooper and Rebecca Traister Interview!! // Competition

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Dec 20, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Dear OSS Members,
We’re thrilled to have been a part of bringing you this essential conversation about anger by two of our featured authors this month: Rebecca Traister and Dr. Brittney Cooper. The authors answered some great questions from our members. Reading through all your questions made us feel so proud of how thoughtful and serious OSS members are about this timely and important topic.

At OSS, we’re always looking for new ways to bring the message of intersectional feminism to a wider audience. And since our Instagram membership has grown to over 373,000 members, we thought it would be fun to try out the IGTV format.

You can access the 35 minute interview through this link: https://tinyurl.com/BCxRT
And we will have the full interview uploaded here some time tomorrow. Feel free to let us know what you think of it as we always welcome your feedback.

Additionally, after you watch the interview, leave a comment in this thread for a chance to win both books, Good and Mad and Eloquent Rage. We’ll be giving away 25 copies of both books to random winners who’ve chosen to answer this question:

What surprised you about this conversation around anger and how it's perceived differently depending on who is expressing it?

Love,
Team OSS

[Edit:] Video can now also be seen here: https://www.goodreads.com/videos/1443...

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Chow | 2 comments The part of this conversation about Brett Kavanaugh really stuck with me. He expressed his anger about being accused with sexual assault which caused people to feel empathy towards him, but if a woman of any color would have done that she would have disqualified herself.

This shocked and angered me the day that it happened. And it still shocks and angers me today.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo (jo961) | 5 comments This definitely made me think about how angry women - both white women and women of colour - are portrayed and portrayed differently in order to subdue them and maintain a white patriarchy. Fascinating. Well done Our Shared Shelf for such an informative interview!

message 4: by Sampada (new)

Sampada (sampada_02) | 9 comments I actually learned a lot from this video, and was a bit surprised to realize that anger isn't just something that can be destructive, but regenerative also. It's surprising to learn how differently it's percieved depending on who is expressing it, be it white women, women of colour or even the men, that it's discouraged if it doesn't align with the patriarchy or if women of colour cry, because they can't even shed tears like the white women can because they don't feel safe and encouraged to express their honest opinions!

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire Bromley | 2 comments Great :-)

message 6: by Kaethe (new)

Kaethe (kaethedouglas) I've been interested in intersectional politics for a while now, so the things they were saying to one another in the interview weren't surprising. What was kind of shocking was that I can't remember seeing two women talking about a topic like that. I read works by feminists and women of color and non-heteronormative and non-binary and disability and fat activists, etc...but I hadn't realized the lack of actual spoken discourse. Sometimes I get to see two or more women talking in a panel discussion, but never without a few men.
It's kind of terrifying to realize that mainstream hollywood films are more likely to pass the Bechdel test than any news/politics show except The View.
Strike that: it isn't scary. It is enraging!

message 7: by Nisa (new)

Nisa  Greennnpanda (greennnpanda) | 4 comments The interview is absolutely interesting to watch. I find that writers, especially feminist writers in a way help to voice out the anger of women around the world towards the current issues -- or even issues that are taken lightly by world leaders. To know that anger at times can lead to positive outcomes, more voices should be heard by everyone concerning the major issues. Women should not be stereotyped by associating anger with female emotions. Every man and woman should have a right to speak out their opinion.

message 8: by Mercy (new)

Mercy Sakes (sarathomsen) | 8 comments I read Good and Mad. It was thought provoking and aligned with much of how I understood women’s anger. I am a co-captain in Women’s March West Virginia Eastern Panhandle and have been an active member of the resistance against the current administration of fear and greed. I was in attendance in DC in January 2017 and 2018. I went to DC to protest against Kavanaugh, visited Senator Manchin’s DC office and his Martinsburg office, wrote letters to Manchin, my representative Alex Mooney and have written numerous editorials to my local paper. I have never been this active politically ever, but books like Good and Mad, Fear, I have found others who share my disdain for the turn our country has made. This book was like looking in a mirror.

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellesh) | 4 comments What surprised me is that both of these women are expressing what I want to hear from feminist thinkers. Brilliant. I've shared the link to the conversation. It's too good to contain!

message 10: by Isabela (new)

Isabela It surprised me in the sense that it helped me understand the current - scary - political climate in my own country, Brazil.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim (tim2pt0) | 5 comments This was such a great conversation between two important thinkers. I’m thankful I had the opportunity to listen to it. I am thankful to Our Shared Shelf for hosting it.

I’m not sure I was surprised by this because I’ve heard so many women (and a few men) express similar sentiment but the difference between how Dr. Ford had to carry herself and the way Brett was allowed to behave is telling. Brett was allowed to lash back at those who were part of the investigation of the accusations against him. He was allowed to be irrational and emotional. Emotional meaning he was allowed to be angry.

Not that I believe Dr. Ford would have carried herself in that manner but if she chose to she would have been dismissed as irrational and unbelievable.

There are so many other ways in which this inequality in the expression of anger plays out around gender and race, class. I could listen to these two women for hours.

message 12: by Carolina Ibanez (new)

Carolina Ibanez (caroibanez) | 3 comments Amazing interview. You can see the passion of both authors about the subject.
I felt relieved to understand that feeling anger is ok after all the things we have to see and deal with as women. It’s anger that makes you move and act, makes you do something. And if it’s well channeled it can be so powerful! From the video I realised that it’s true that anger is seen differently depending on who expresses it. Women are not allowed to feel angry or at least not to demonstrate it. Is not ‘aesthetical’, is not part of what we ‘are supposed to be’.
I honestly believe this interview is amazing cause it makes you keep thinking about what they say!
Thank you for it!

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara (sararie) | 2 comments Thank you for having these conversations and thank you to these two authors for writing and talking about these issues!! We have to keep talking about our anger and about the differences in how women of color are treated/viewed versus white women so we can make the needed changes. I haven't been able to read these books yet but I definitely will!

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairemcalpine) | 3 comments What surprised you about this conversation around anger and how it's perceived differently depending on who is expressing it?

First of all I was surprised to be given the opportunity to listen to such a high calibre conversation from within the comfort of one of my favourite online dwelling places - Goodreads!

The whole conversation around the perception of anger depending on who is expressing it surprised me as it articulated what so many of us have felt, experienced, witnessed and NOT been able to articulate, and I loved that they addressed that question of voice and gave kudos to listening and learning.

It just made me want to share this with all women and read both their books! Thank you so much for bringing this opportunity to those of us far, far away to listen, I hope there will be many more.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelgibblibrarylife) | 3 comments Wow.. this is powerful and thought provoking. Thank you for sharing. The realities of anger and when and where it can be expressed and by whom is articulated so well by these two inspirational women. I know I’ll be thinking about this conversation for a long time.

message 16: by Kawther (new)

Kawther (kawtherinuwa) | 7 comments Reading both books made me come to the realisation that as a women, we feel that we need to suppress our anger, smile, be likable. If a woman expresses anger, she is perceived as unapproachable, while if it's a man it's part of their masculinity and normal. Especially in the case of black women, I feel like the stereotype of "angry black girl" makes a lot of black women feel unable to express rage in fear of being labelled as such. Anger is an emotion that everyone is allowed to feel and express, yet society has declared that certain people must behave a certain way.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments I'm headed home for Christmas today and really can't wait to get into this whole video. I need to check out these books as well.

message 18: by Frau Spätzle (new)

Frau Spätzle (soenne) | 8 comments Until recently, always felt obliged to hold back my anger - fearing the negative (social) side effects of letting it out.
I found the thought very helpful that holding it in might even have more adverse consequences for me personally.

If I may add: I prefer youtube videos over the IGTV version as I can adjust the speed to my needs (I usually watch videos 1.25-1.75x as fast). So, maybe you could upload to both IGTV and YouTube next time? Would be much appreciated!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2018 03:59PM) (new)

Hello OSS Team Leader and folks ;)

The discussion helded by both Dr. Brittney Cooper, and Rebecca Traister, was very surprising actually. I confess, that I didn't read the book, and I will be happy to win (signed copies), for to improve my knowledges about both the two way they abord anger's power and its perception in intersectional feminism.

What was really surprising, is in my opinion, and very well said by Rebecca Traister, the fact that we associate a power to anger instead of associating it to the bad non desired effects without, for all that, obscuring them. Anger as a starting point, a force for women, to keep fighting, considiring a women point of wiev, that is not often, and i may apologize if I'm wrong, evoked in feminist discussions. Indeed, we always, as men actually, hear about the "nuisance power" of anger in feminism militantism. We know that it's difficult to be heard as a minority, and especially, when you are a minority in a minority, and when you consider a men patriarchy! Anger is not only necessary, but also, and sometimes a good way to be heard, according to the laws of psychology that explain us that a silencious oppressed minority is a consenting minority. So yes, it's surprinsing to hear about the benefits of women's anger, instead of always hearing about their, one more time, "Nuisance Power". Thanks to their books, we may, as men receive it in a different way, and that may lead everybody to put an end to that anger, as we all excpet our leaders to be more attentive to women living and working conditions.

message 20: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha | 3 comments I learned a lot from these two women speaking (which by the way I wish we saw more of in our society- two women creating discourse on topics pertinent to their lives), but what was most interesting to me was what Dr. Brittney Cooper said about coming to terms with her own emotions. I don't have the direct quote but she said something about how her life depends on finding ways to express her emotions and that when it comes to anger it is either conquer it or let it conquer you, despite that it's still dangerous in our society to be labeled as an 'angry black woman.'

Though this has a harrowing impact on black women's lives, Rebecca Traister made a point that many women still struggle with this opposition of acceptable emotions to exhibit publicly and how women truly feel. What a different society we would live in if there were no societal consequences to speaking one's mind on these types of issues.

I know in my own life, when reading the news or hearing people's experiences I often get angry. My response to this anger is often to shut down, which is completely counterproductive. But as Cooper and Traister said in the beginning of the video, anger can be generative and I for one would like to learn ways to hone my anger into something productive.

message 21: by Moira (new)

Moira (jmoira) | 8 comments It was very interesting how they defined different kinds of anger and identified which types are perceived as progressively powerful. What Brittney Cooper said also stood out to me: Equality does not mean treating all of our emotional lives the same.

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (the_fragranceofdarkcoffee) | 2 comments I’m so thankful for this conversation and I think we all need to keep this discussion moving even in our everyday lives. What surprised me the most, I think, was the varied ways that women expressed their anger or lack thereof based on race. I was aware most women felt some sort of rage against our patriarchal government but was almost floored to learn that different races of women expressed those emotions in such targeted ways. I grew up believe tears could “get you out of situations” so hearing that black women didn’t even feel comfortable crying in public sickened me. It isn’t fair that they feel they can’t have this basic human right to their emotions or at least feel like they need “permission.” I’m sorry. WHAT?! And this is exactly why women ARE angry. Because of unfair treatment of our most basic human right to cry! Anyway, I’ll stop here though I know I can find way to go on. This conversation was great and I only wish I can meet there two amazing women in person simply to say, “Thank you for giving us a voice.”

message 23: by Janani (new)

Janani | 1 comments Oh my gosh this video was so affirming for anyone who has been told that anger is destructive. What I enjoyed the most was “anger can be generative” as opposed to destructive. This is important to keep in mind because a lot of times folks that are angry especially women and women of color, are blatantly dismissed - Dr. Cooper and Traister talk about this in the video where a Black woman who is angry is seen as animalistic and a threat while a white woman who is angry is seen as over emotional and hysterical. Either way the women are dismissed and seen as threats or folks that can’t be taken seriously.

Something that surprised me / gave me clarity was what Dr. Cooper said about expressing anger as a Black woman. She said that it makes her sad that Black women have to ask themselves if they have a right to their emotional life. We are afraid to be human and express ourselves with anger as a valid emotion because of how it can work against us and be used / turned against us. This is so so true and actually makes me more upset + angry that I can’t be human because the standards placed upon me as a woman of color is much higher (we’re expected to let more things roll off our back before we “retaliate”) than for white folks and specifically white men like Kavanaugh.

message 24: by Elyssa (new)

Elyssa Gooding | 6 comments I guess nothing has really surprised me around the conversation of anger and expressing anger, so much as my most pessimistic ideas have been confirmed. I’m still processing my thoughts, but wanted to post to be in on the giveaway. I want to have these books to share with friends and discuss even more. Recognizing reality is the only way we can improve.

message 25: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Sanderson (bridget_sanderson) | 15 comments The conversation between the difference their two audiences interact with them while on tour. Admittedly, being a white woman whose every emotion comes out in tears really struck a chord. I had never thought about the fact black women were not given the permission through their life to express themselves in that way. Of course, after hearing that I should have known, it just struck a chord for me.

LOVED this interview, thank you best corner of the internet!

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments Thank you OSS Team, Dr. Brittney Cooper and Rebecca Traister for this interview - great format OSS :).

My response to the questions posed "What surprised you about this conversation around anger and how it's perceived differently depending on who is expressing it?":

Honestly I didn't find it as surprising as I've both been made aware of the examples they cited (and the responses) and lived it so-to-speak as a female POC. I can agree with especially what Dr. Cooper said around Black women's "eloquent rage". So I would say I really liked how she expressed it using Audre Lorde's quote about the danger of letting the rage or other things define us. As a POC I can feel how I want to be perceived and how the world perceives me in certain situations and how I must navigate that depending on the spaces and people I am with.

The conversation around "emotional honesty in politics" was so pertinent and interesting.I definitely took to heart Dr. Brittney Cooper's words about how one is forced to harness that rage eloquently (both women of colour and all women in general) - appreciated Rebecca Traister's points about how her book touched people and the roots of the anger and power imbalances. This conversation especially has got me thinking about the roots of the collective anger and collective fear/mistrust, and how I can live my life discussing these issues/living these issues and also maintain a healthy mind/body balance and relationships/conversations online and offline.

I haven't had a chance to read the books in hard copy due to the cost (just heard excerpts on Audible audio-book) so would love to win copies and share them locally, thank you for the opportunity!

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 8 comments The part on anger can be generative and binding within allies is an interesting concept. The part on white women anger vs. black woman anger vs. white male anger is just so sad. That black woman have to seek permission to express anger.

message 28: by Tia (new)

Tia Bullock (tialaurynn) | 3 comments I was just surprised by how blinded I was from the fact that women of color have to try harder to be not seen as aggressive when it comes to public appearances. I never knew that Michelle Obama was once an angry woman who felt the need to repress her rage to be more publicly appealing. I live in Georgia and voted for Stacy Abrams. She handled the entire campaign and election with so much grace, yet so much rage for the injustice that goes on in my state. I was able to attend one of her rallies and noticed how she did not tend to raise her voice while discussing the different issues. And when she accepted defeat, she did cuss out the voters or even Kemp. She made sure the audience knew that she would keep fighting no matter what. Kemp was able to win, mostly by cheating, but also by being openly aggressive toward minorities. He had commercials saying he’d personally take illegals back to “where they came from” and also constantly had a gun in his hand. But Abrams was seen as in humane because of her support for pro-choice.

It’s ridiculous how different someone’s emotions are perceived based off appearance. I watched a video once where 6 people discuss their opinions and views on a specific topic. The people in charge of this always had 3 people who opposed the topic and 3 people who agreed with it. In a specific video, there were times when a black woman would state her side on the issue and contradict the opposers statement, but because she wasn’t calm and sweet toned as the white woman she was seen as hostile and disrespectful. I did not feel like she was that way while I was watching it.

This society we live in takes the stereotypes of our gender or race and automatically uses that as a frame to describe how we feel or talk and it has to be stopped.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

"Anger may be generative." I am always agreeably surprised to hear such thought because anger is usually associated to a bad or negative emotion (same for Fear and Sadness for instance) while it should not be. It is like every single thing in life it may be creative or destructive, beneficial or not. I suppose, it depends on what we do with it (or sometime what we are able to do because expressing emotions is so hard sometime, we do not know if what we are going to say will hurt or offend, sometime we don't know how to express it and when we think we know how to do it we realize we missed something!).

Sometime people use anger as a release (just to get rid of it) or deny but I feel that if one denies it, inevitably it will consume her/him or it will explode.
Sometime people use it as a powerful energy, some kind of fuel (and guess what it's sustainable and green :p sorry bad joke) to communicate and to move on.

I believe the perception of anger does not only depends on who is expressing it but also on who is receiving it. If I am being defensive because of someone's anger it may not be constructive but if I am making efforts to listen and to understand other's emotion then something good may be created out of it (yes, sometimes expressing or listening someone requires energy, effort and patience from my part). Sometimes, it is also good to "thump the table" and to say "That's enough! Now you listen to us!".

Then there is the perception of the society. If I am not wrong the authors refer to the different example regarding the sex and the race. I am not quite sure of the exact words they used but I agree that there are some kind of prejudices or bad perceptions that hinder and even shackle the healthy expression of anger. Overall, I think we do not listen enough to people's anger no matter the sex/gender/race etc... (obviously some people are even less listened).

Anyway, great topic, great interview, thank you :)

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyluo) Thank you for the thoughtful conversation. It helped me see that some of the reactions I've experienced or observed in the past are not merely anger on the surface. The expresser matters, the receiver matters, and history matters.

message 31: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Jean (bj357079) | 1 comments What surprised you about this conversation around anger and how it's perceived differently depending on who is expressing it?

What surprised me was the honesty and civility of the discussion every time I hear such topics discussed openly and honestly it ends up damn near being a brawl or a screeching contest to see who can talk over whom.... this was definitely encouraging and hopeful that we can talk about important and controversial subjects in a civilized manner with respect.

message 32: by ಥ_ಥ (new)

ಥ_ಥ (faery_wings) | 3 comments What surprised me is how beautifully they spoke about these topics. These topics are hard to tackle. I love when anger is used as motivation for betterment.

message 33: by Heide (new)

Heide | 135 comments That it's no equally save for everyone to cry in public. I never thought about being able to cry as a matter of savety before. But it makes sense.

I also liked their thoughts about objectivity. This quote by Brittany Cooper stood out to me: "Objectivity is not harmless. And having a perspective is not inherently harmful."

message 34: by Viraj (new)

Viraj Gupta | 3 comments Wow. The thoughts and this discussion thoroughly discombobulated me. It was actually quite relatableand really touched my nerves. And as a boy my crying and sensitivity has been a topic of shame among my friends and fellows. 'Don't call him that, he might start crying like a girl', this sentence have been addressed to me quite a few times. Never mind that.

Well it was a touching and inspiring intervuew.

message 35: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Anamaria (neruna) | 6 comments It's surprising that we are still struggling so much to be entitled to our own emotions, as women, in this day and age. There is no difference between races when it comes to emotions—anger has no color, and as both authors have stated, the reactions they have received were basically the same, only differing in the way they were expressed. I find the fact that women of color can't even feel that they can cry over their unexpressed anger to be infuriating. I must admit I did not know crying is also something they feel they have to suppress, and I do find white women to have more ways of expressing themselves still, even though they are most of the time not taken seriously. In the end, we are all women who want to be heard, who want to express our anger toward injustices done to women all over the world. Hopefully, our voice will grow stronger and stronger until no man or society will be able to shut us up.

Elizabeth, Jasmine & Rebeca Pizarro (discoveraworldthroughabook) | 10 comments What surprised me the most is that some people are excused for their anger while other people are judged by their anger because of their color of skin or race. I feel that everyone is allowed to angry but should be careful with how they release their anger. -Rebeca

message 37: by Rafa (new)

Rafa | 24 comments Wow! I expected it to be a quite boring, biased and unsettling conversation. But it was really something else.
And the surprising thing was that I didn't know that a conversation about anger could ever be so calming. I don't know if the books are nearly as good, but if they are, they are surely worth reading.....

message 38: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments First of all, thank you OSS for allowing us access to this open discussion. The video made me realise that I really don't have enough opportunities to watch (let alone participate in) discussions between women of different backgrounds in my everyday life, so thank you for this very enlightening video. I hope there will be many more to come!

As for what surprised me about the video/discussion, I was quite shocked to realise for the first time that black women and white women cannot live their emotional life in the same way. Brittney Cooper and Rebecca Traister use the example of crying and this was such a poignant image for me, because as a white woman I never even gave a thought to the fact that a black woman showing anger and crying about it would be perceived differently than a white woman doing so, but the discussion made me realise that it is definitely the case. I also found it very saddening to realise that, like Brittney Cooper says, black women still cannot embrace their uncomfortable emotions and retreat from their anger to be respected, because showing their anger will make them look ugly to men.

I hope to see a time in my life where women's voices and anger are heard and the patriarchy is changed. The foundations have been laid and I truly think that some of the authors we've been reading for OSS have helped shape those foundations, but there's still a lot more work to be done.

message 39: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Salazar Méndez | 2 comments I would like to understand Rebecca’s position and views on division within the feminist movement when there are other areas involved such as race, religion or sexual orientation. The term intersectionality causes raised eyebrows but it is a fact and black, gay, disabled and other type of women have to fight many fronts at once. How can we ensure that they feel represented and listened to in the feminist movement which is traditionally white aNd enabled. Do we need to acknowledge that to be inclusive?

message 40: by Dawn (new)

Dawn L. | 4 comments Thanks to the authors for their books and for taking the time from their schedules for this conversation, and thanks to OSS for making it happen.

As a feminist who goes all the way back to the Second Wave, I found the material in both books to be innovative and clear-eyed thinking. Recently, a friend said to me, “you’ve got a lot of anger in there.” Yes. Anger that’s been suppressed, and now my old anger is doing a happy dance over its new encouragement to come out of its closet.

Dr. Cooper’s book analysis of Mrs. Obama’s approach to the latest US Presidential inauguration was an insightful and celebratory commentary. It brought to mind for me the vilification the great athlete, Serena Williams, was subjected to after her expression of anger over faulty calls and uneven rule application at the most recent US Open Tennis Championships. Ms. Williams was quite literally caricatured from mainstream media to social media, being portrayed as out-of-control, brutish, and dangerous. Yet she held her head high and persevered without apology. The question is, how do we create a society where both of these Black feminist leaders, and others like them, are celebrated rather than feared?

Ms. Traister’s book also resonated from page one; I’ve underlined and commented on nearly every page throughout my copy. Something I used to tell my students never to do. What I found most beneficial was her historical analysis of the feminist movement and the connections she draws to other social and political movements, such as abolition and unionism, and the straight-line path to Mrs. Clinton’s election loss to someone like Trump. It’s important, I think, for younger women to understand where their current movement came from, what worked and what didn’t, in order to move forward effectively.

What I don’t understand are the women who sabotage other women, even to their own detriment. Although the ruling white male patriarchy does toss them some table-scraps as rewards, on a fundamental level I still can’t reconcile damming yourself and others just like you. Fundamentally just like you, regardless of race, class, sexuality, or gender fluidity. At what point does the balance shift and the living in fear of rejection by white men become secondary to honoring yourself and your sisters?

I guess the answer is to keep marching and talking and shouting and working and volunteering until we don’t have to anymore.

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 194 comments I really enjoyed hearing the authors' responses to our questions and getting their background on their novels and writing. Hear where they were each coming from writing their respective books has given me new perspective on their content and new things to think about. I loved how they talked about the difference between anger and "elegant rage" and the examples they gave. I liked the way they were able to talk about what exactly differentiates non-colored female experiences in oppression vs. colored female experiences in oppression.

I just really enjoyed the interview and will probably be watching it a few times to really get the entirety of what the talk about to stick with me and allow me to mull it over more carefully.

Thank you so much for so frequently providing the group with these types of interviews and insights! I really enjoy them.

message 42: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelteasdill) | 4 comments Such an interesting conversation, it’s definitely made me more aware on how being ‘angry’ has been reflected on women and women of colour and how at times women have been defined as so rather then just seeing a women expressing an emotion of anger.

I am surprised and enlightened of how different emotions can subconiously or conciously be more encouraged or acceptable to women depending on the skin colour, such as it’s accepted for white women to expressed their lower times through crying but women of colour don’t feel accepted of or safe to do so; and also maybe tell themselves the showing vunrability is a sign of weakness etc.

I definitely find disscussios like this from these fab authors interesting when it’s taking into account the perspective and experience of not just white women but women of colour as well.

message 43: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

We are giving this competition one more day, so please make sure you answers are in by tomorrow!

Many thanks!

message 44: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Okay sorry for the delay - a bit later than planned, but this competition is now closed.
Winners will be contacted by PM in due course.

Thanks to those who entered :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.