2019 Resolution Group discussion

Members Planning Thread > Speak it. Do it.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith | 7 comments It may be ill-advised to have so many resolutions, but there are just so many changes I feel I need to make to make myself happier and healthier. I've never written down a resolution, and certainly never made a public declaration, but I've heard that speaking/writing what you want and opening yourself up to being held accountable are very helpful, and maybe even necessary for some to accomplish goals. So here are my resolutions (in no particular order) for 2019. Wish me luck! :)

~Read more
I was a voracious reader growing up, never without a book. I was also much happier. Of course, I was a kid without a care in the world really, so yeah, that was a contributing factor. But I believe that my constant journeys into other worlds were a huge factor too. I want to get back to that, to get just a little bit of that part of my childhood back, but there are so many distractions and excuses as an adult to not do what you want to do, or even SHOULD be doing. Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube are such alluring time thieves, though, especially when I'm often very physically and mentally tired from work and just life in general. It may be easier to just queue up a binge session, but it's not making me any happier in any lasting way.

~Lose weight
I'm a pretty heavy guy, and I feel like recently I've gotten heavier. This MUST stop. I have to do better. I have to finally be tired of being fat. It's not healthy. I have no confidence. I don't feel attractive or comfortable in my own skin, and that's just unacceptable.

~Write more
I've been an "aspiring author" since grade school. My goal is to be a published author, ideally one with several bestselling titles and movie/TV deals. There's exactly zero chance of that happening if I don't start writing. No more excuses. No more waiting for inspiration. I've got to start treating it like a job since I want it to be some day.

~Get a part-time job or better paying full-time job
Money. Need more. Always more.

~Save money
See above

message 2: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Good luck with your goals! You can do this. Do you have any current writing projects you're working on?

message 3: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 4 comments Keith wrote: "It may be ill-advised to have so many resolutions, but there are just so many changes I feel I need to make to make myself happier and healthier. I've never written down a resolution, and certainly..."

Good for you! I think if you feel better the others will come easier! When I wanted to feel better I started slow...just started eating one big salad a day to start getting vitamins through food. I wish you the best!

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith | 7 comments C.P. wrote: "Good luck with your goals! You can do this. Do you have any current writing projects you're working on?"

Thank, C.P.! I'm not currently working on anything. I came up with an idea inspired by an article about the apparent lack of horror/romance, and was trying to workshop it for NaNoWriMo, but that didn't really work out. I was finding it difficult to keep it from going into supernatural/fantasy territory, since that's what I mostly read, I guess. I'm mainly working on re-adopting the habit of reading and broadening my reading horizons right now, which will help me with the writing. I think I'll work on short stories and flash fiction in the meantime to get the practice in. It's possible I just may not be ready for a novel just yet.

Charley Girl wrote: "Good for you! I think if you feel better the others will come easier! When I wanted to feel better I started slow...."

Thanks for the tip. I've tried the big salad thing for lunch before, and while I do enjoy a good salad, I tire of eating the same thing more than a couple days in a row. I'm more likely to eat the same soup several days in a row, and there are a bunch of vegetarian options I could make. I'm not vegetarian, but I do enjoy vegetarian/vegan fare from time to time, and recognize that it is helpful for weight loss. Recently, I made an autumn vegetable and wild rice soup featuring one of my favorite things, mushrooms. One of the types I used was king oyster. I read somewhere that they taste like buttery chicken, and ya know what...that's kinda accurate. What makes it even more of a meat substitute is that you can tear them up by hand and they kinda look like shredded chicken too. It was delicious, but after a few days made it's way to the freezer. The diet part is harder than it should be because of my current living situation, but I can definitely start getting back into the gym.

message 5: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Well I'm a moderator for a short story writing group here on goodreads, if you ever want to join (unless you already are and I didn't realize). It's called Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company.

message 6: by Keith (last edited Dec 31, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Keith | 7 comments C.P. wrote: "Well I'm a moderator for a short story writing group here on goodreads, if you ever want to join (unless you already are and I didn't realize). It's called Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company."

I was in that group for a while, but I wasn't active at all and there was always such a flood of notifications. I'll consider rejoining, but I don't seem to do well with prompts, regardless of how open the concept. I'm just super picky I guess, or not easily inspired, or...I don't know. I'll try and come up with something for the current contest. I realize it's due today and I likely won't get it in for voting, but if I manage to produce something I feel I could have proudly submitted, I might rejoin.

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Well good luck with however you decide to go about your writing! And you can change the notifications you receive for each group, if any of them get to be too much. I recently reset my notifications so that instead of getting 60+ every time I log into goodreads I only get about 1 or 2.

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith | 7 comments C.P. wrote: "Well good luck with however you decide to go about your writing! And you can change the notifications you receive for each group, if any of them get to be too much. I recently reset my notification..."

I rejoined and submitted something for week 440. It's late so it's not eligible for voting, but I liked it and wanted to share. There's a friend of mine I'm going to mention the group to who might be interested as well.

message 9: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 2 comments 1. Exercise 12 times a month
2. Vary exercise methods
3. Do 22 push ups and sits ups every day

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith | 7 comments UPDATE: I got the part-time job I wanted. Veterinary Clinic Advisor. I've always loved animals but for some reason didn't take that path after high school. This will be a step in the right direction, and relieve a little financial stress.

message 11: by Keith (new)

Keith | 7 comments UPDATE: I'm on fire with the writing right now! OK, It's only two short stories so far, but they were written in two consecutive days and I think they're pretty damn good. I'm really trying to be active in the Weekly Short Story Contest group, and so far so good. The first was too late for voting, but I just submitted one for this week. It's not about whether or not I'm voted the best for any given week, I'm just really excited about my renewed passion for and inspiration to write. There's a space in the group where members can carve out a little corner and just share their work. Here's the link to mine. I'll be posting all contest submissions and anything else there if anyone cares to check it out. There's some old stuff there too from a few years ago.

message 12: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Glad you got the job, Keith! I hope it goes well.

And I'm glad that you are doing well with writing! I really hope it keeps up. I plan to go and read through the stories when I get a chance. Hopefully write one myself for this week.