Play Book Tag discussion

There There
This topic is about There There
Archive: Other Books > There There by Tommy Orange 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1493 comments There There by Tommy Orange
4 stars

It has taken me several tries to write this review and get across what I'm thinking and feeling. Reading this book made me realize how naive I am about the Native American culture and their existence in our society today. I have a friend who is big into genealogy and through DNA testing and documentation she has found that she has Native American heritage, and feels 'special' or 'cool'. I remember when we were all filling out scholarship applications and our middle class selves were wondering if we could prove enough Indian blood for applications and scholarships. I shake my head at my ignorance then and now.

There There follows different people as they they progress through life all culminating at the Oakland Powwow and event that takes place at it. It gives a brief look at the life of what is considered the Urban Native American. We've forced this group of our population to assimilate into our lives and our culture and this book sheds light of some of the impacts of that. The repercussions of years pushing.

I enjoyed aspects of the book... I like how thought provoking it is. It was slow at the beginning and I struggled several times to follow what the heck was going on. I wish there was a glossary of people in the back or something (like Circe). I also got very annoyed that the edition that I had they used 'affect' where they should have used 'effect'. I know it's a common one to mess up, but I'm super mindful of it and if I see it used wrong, it just messes me up.

I thought the best part of the whole book was the last 50 or so pages... I scared my dogs while I was reading because I kept gasping. I'm on the fence about whether this is going to be one of my top 10 books for the year.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Nice Review, I think you said it well! This has been on my TBR for a while, I really need to get to it

Susie | 4488 comments It was a four from me too Charlotte.

Booknblues | 5517 comments Charlotte wrote: "There There by Tommy Orange
4 stars

It has taken me several tries to write this review and get across what I'm thinking and feeling. Reading this book made me rea..."

Nice review. I loved this book and it did make the top 10 for me. You are correct in saying it was confusing keeping track of everyone. I kept having to look up people and see how they connected with others.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I think I might save this one for Fall Flurries next year

Charlotte | 1493 comments Joi wrote: "I think I might save this one for Fall Flurries next year"

That's a great idea!

The more I think about this book it makes me think of other similar books where the story is impactful and I think everyone should read it, but the story telling itself just wasn't there for me. It's like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for me... such an impactful story but I gave it a lower rating because there was things about the writing that I wasn't fond of.

Sushicat | 804 comments Booknblues wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "There There by Tommy Orange
4 stars

It has taken me several tries to write this review and get across what I'm thinking and feeling. Reading thi..."

It’s on my top ten as well. The intro completely blew me away. The rest of the book was not at that level, but overall I loved the book.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8299 comments Joi - I am saving it for next November for Fall Flurries. Buddy Read if we can both remember who the other was!