What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's/Middle Grade series about group of 3-5 girls who love playing basketball. School drama and boys. Book 1: new girl trying out for basketball team? Cover: 2-3 animated looking girls in front of school.

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Hello again! You guys have been such a great help! I'm hoping you can help me once more. I read this series about 7yrs ago and I believe it was published a little earlier than that so 2002-2010 maybe. It was a children's series about a group of 3-5 girls, although I want say there was 4 girls, (maybe 10-13 yrs old) who loved playing basketball. I think they also dealt with school drama and boys. I believe there were at least 3 books, maybe more. The author also had another series that was similar or a companion to the basketball series. From my memory, the cover of the first book had a school(?) in the background and animated looking girls on the cover. Maybe the main girl was a blonde? I never finished this series, so my details are pretty scarce. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. ;)

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16875 comments I'm finding a lot of single middle grade books about girls' basketball, but no series.

The whole series was about basketball? And the team was just elementary or junior high age girls?

message 3: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments I'm sorry, the details are pretty vague. I just cannot remember much. The whole series didn't necessarily revolve solely on basketball. Playing ball was a big deal in the books though. There may have only been a few books, but I want to say there was at least 3. It could very well be a standalone too. I wish I could remember more! I think it was a school team, so just girls around the same age.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5092 comments These characters are probably too old, but it reminds me of Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws.

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Added thought: I think the first book had to do with the protagonist trying out for the school basketball team. She may have been new to the school or just new to the sport.

message 6: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thank you, Rosa. That isn't the one, but it looks good lol.

message 7: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments There are some books by Jake Maddox that are not in a series, or maybe they are but just aren't shown that way on goodreads?

Full Court Dreams Full Court Dreams by Jake Maddox

Drive to the Hoop Drive to the Hoop by Jake Maddox

Rebound Time Rebound Time (Jake Maddox Girl Sports Stories) by Jake Maddox

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16875 comments If it wasn't a whole series about basketball, maybe one of these....

Meet Julie
Slam Dunk
Hoop Queen
Playing Games

message 9: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thanks y'all. These aren't the ones I'm looking for. Although, I'm starting to see that all these basketball books have the same plot. ;P I'll keep racking my brain to see if I can come up with a few more details. Thanks again!

message 10: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments basketball bump! I'm thinking there may have been a girl named Jillian. Could be mixing that up with other books though. :)

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Sorenson Hi Bridget!

I know you're looking for a basketball series, but I know of a soccer series that could fit your description. I'm just going throw this out there though.

Book 1-"Lucy Doesn't Wear Pink"
Book 2-"Lucy Out of Bounds"
Book 3-"Lucy's "Perfect" Summer"
Book 4-"Lucy Finds Her Way"
By Nancy N. Rue

Book four has a photo of a girl in front of a school. Hope this helps you, or narrows it down at least! :)

message 12: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Basketball Bump! Thank you, Hannah! Those aren't the ones, but I greatly appreciate it! :)

message 13: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Basketball bump! Still coming up empty on this search. I remember the cover so vividly in my mind. I'm thinking the name of the book or series may have actually had basketball and/or school in the title. Can't say for sure. If only past me had taken the time to write this crap down lol.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments In the Three of a Kind series, there is a girl called Josie who tries out for the basketball team. It's not the main plot of the book but it's in there. List of books in the series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/6486...

message 15: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4162 comments It's soccer, but The New Girl has been searched before so have a look just in case?

message 16: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thanks so much, y'all. It's neither of those, but I appreciate the effort with so little to go on. I'll keep looking and going through some of my shelves to see if I can come up with anything more. =)

message 17: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Basketball bump! Nothing new that I can remember, but I'll keep thinking on it. =]

message 19: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Catherine wrote: "Broadway Ballplayers?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Thank you, Catherine. That's not the one, but I appreciate the help nonetheless. =)

message 20: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments bump!

message 21: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments bump!

message 22: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Time period/location story takes place?
What country were you in when you read this book?

message 23: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments It definitely took place in modern times, so early 2000's. Might have been in New York or another big city. I read it in the U.S. and I do believe the author was American, most likely female now that I think about it. Thanks for your time! :)

message 24: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16875 comments I found this series, but it's girls playing baseball, not basketball.

The Girls Strike Back: The Making of the Pink Parrots

message 25: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thank you, Rainbowheart. That's not it, but it does sound like a cute series lol.

message 26: by Ann (last edited Sep 16, 2019 08:52AM) (new)

Ann | 530 comments The Battle of the Cheerleaders?

Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield and their friends have joined the girls' basketball team. They ask the boys' team to come and root for them - it's only fair, since the Boosters cheer at every one of the boys' games. But the boys say no way - girls' sports are stupid.

message 27: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thank you, Ann. That's not it, but I appreciate the help regardless. =)

message 28: by Bridget (last edited Oct 24, 2019 08:46AM) (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Bump! Still looking for this one, but while racking my brain, I did remember another book that I was interested in at the time. The Boy Next Door (Candy Apple #2) by Laura Dower

This one was next to the basketball book and they had very similar cover designs (bubbly, cartoonish). I was obsessed with their cute covers (idiot. could look at pretty covers, but not remember a dang thing lol), so I was drawn to the both of them. Grasping at straws, I know, but I figured it was worth mentioning so others can get an idea of what the cover looked liked. Don't know why the two were together though, from what I can tell Laura Dower hasn't written any basketball series. Again, this is not the book I am looking for, it just has a very similar cover design and was sorted with the basketball book.

message 29: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Basketball bump! Still looking for this one. Thinking the title of the book or series may have had something b-ball related? Like, "Slam Dunk high", or "Nothing but Net series" or something cheesy along those lines. Haven't found anything like that in google searches and such though.

message 30: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments When you say the linked book was next to the basketball book where did you see these books? Was this in a library or a bookstore or a classroom?

message 31: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments The book you linked is a "Candy Apple" book. The Candy Apple "series" is written by several different authors, one of whom is Lisa Papademetriou When I first tried to find your basketball series I found a book by this author that looked really promising and is about a girl basketball player, but it was not part of a series where the whole series was about basketball: How to Be a Girly Girl in Just Ten Days How to Be a Girly Girl in Just Ten Days (Candy Apple #4) by Lisa Papademetriou

message 32: by Bridget (last edited Feb 29, 2020 11:51AM) (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thank you, Adele! That isn't the one, unfortunately. I've gone through the candy apple books and while similar, the book is not among them. Also: they were sorted in a little plastic bin. I believe they were alphabetized, but that may be of little help here. Regardless, I appreciate the help! Will hopefully find this one at some point. :)

message 33: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments basketball bump. Thanks for any help! :)

message 34: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Basketball bump.

message 35: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments OMG I thought I had found it, but this is way too recent: https://www.goodreads.com/series/2294... Could it possibly be a reprint or re-packaging?

message 36: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16875 comments Elle of the Ball is definitely new, not a reprint. So it can't be your series.

This one is frustrating. I can't imagine how it doesn't have "basketball" as a keyword in Worldcat.

message 37: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thanks, y’all. I had come across that one in some of my own searches, but it’s just too new and not quite familiar. 🙁 I’ll keep looking and maybe go back through some of the others listed. I just know this one has to be out there, but nothing seems familiar so far. Thanks again for the help!

message 38: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Bridget, I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Feel free to update it clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

Cover: are the "animated looking girls" a photograph, cartoon illustration, etc.?

message 39: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Thank you, Kris. The cover was an animated looking illustration. It had 2 or 3 girls on it in front of a school. I do believe the main girl was red-headed, but I’m not quite sure on that detail.

message 40: by Molly (new)

Molly | 25 comments Any chance it’s “Game Time, Mallory”? The whole series isn’t related to basketball, but the cover fits your description and the main character has red hair.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...#

message 41: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16875 comments Game Time, Mallory! wasn't pubbed until 2015, though.

I also thought of A Whole New Ball Game, but that's the wrong sport. I don't know if any of the books revolved around basketball. Regardless, 2014 is probably too late.

You read it 2012 or before?

message 42: by Molly (new)

Molly | 25 comments 2015 probably is too late, but I know I'm bad with dates and maybe the OP was off a little. A lot of the other books in the series were published much earlier though, so was thinking she may have started with those first?

message 43: by 5hawna (new)

message 44: by 5hawna (new)

5hawna 7an 10 (5hawna7an10) | 17 comments Maybe

message 45: by 5hawna (new)

5hawna 7an 10 (5hawna7an10) | 17 comments It is a series of books