Play Book Tag discussion

Member ChallengeTracking 2016-20 > Becky C's Reading for 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky C (last edited Nov 12, 2019 12:23PM) (new)

Becky C | 108 comments PBT monthly tags

January - action-adventure - Adrift: A True Story of Tragedy on the Icy Atlantic and the One Who Lived to Tell about It
February - life
March - debut - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
April - history
May - beautiful
June - retellings
July -
August -
September -
October - crime fiction
November - American history
December -

message 2: by Becky C (last edited Jun 13, 2019 11:23AM) (new)

Becky C | 108 comments PBT Trim the TBR Challenge
Most of these books I've had sitting on my physical bookshelves for more than a year. One of them I know I've had sitting there for well over a decade. They've moved to three different houses in two states. I think I (as well as they) will be relieved to have finally been read!

1. The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children by Sally Clarkson
2. The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science That Could Save Your Life by Ben Sherwood
3. Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
4. The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed about Thomas Jefferson by David Barton
5. All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg
6. Guerrilla Lovers: Changing the World with Revolutionary Compassion by Vince Antonucci
7. On the Nature of Things by Lucretius
8. The Art of War by Sun Tzu
9. Wide as the Waters: The Story of the English Bible and the Revolution it Inspired by Benson Bobrick
10. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by The Countess of Carnarvon
11. America's First Dynasty: The Adamses, 1735-1918 by Richard Brookhiser
12. Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life by Joanna Weaver
13. American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph Ellis
14. Your Child: Wonderfully Made: Parenting from God's Blueprint for You and Your Child by Larry Burkett & Rick Osborne
15. The Once & Future Gardener: Garden Writing from the Golden Age of Magazines: 1900-1940 by Virginia Tuttle Clayton
16. John Dee: The Politics of Reading and Writing in the English Renaissance by William Sherman
17. Who Made God?: And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith by Ravi Zacharias
18. The Perfect Horse: the Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis by Elizabeth Letts
19. 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Wink finished 6/13/2019
20. How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil by D. A. Carson
21. The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now by Rita Emmett
22. On the Fifth Day by A. J. Hartley
23. House of Sand and Fog: A Novel by Andre Dubus III
24. The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw
25. Dreamers and Deceivers: True Stories of the Heroes and Villains Who Made America by Glenn Beck
26. Food and Everyday Life on Kentucky Family Farms, 1920-1950 by John and Anne Van Willigen
27. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
28. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian
29. Adam Bede by George Eliot
30. A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812 by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
31. Walking to Gatlinburg by Howard Frank Mosher
32. Freeing Keiko: The Journey of a Killer Whale from Free Willy to the Wild by Kenneth Brower
33. Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence
34. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
35. Seedtime on the Cumberland by Harriette Simpson Arnow
36. Harvest of Bittersweet by Patricia Penton Leimbach

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1938 comments I haven't read any of your books but they all look very interesting. I'm looking forward to your reviews once the numbers are selected.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments I have only read Orphan Train

message 5: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I haven't read any of your books but they all look very interesting. I'm looking forward to your reviews once the numbers are selected."

Thanks! =)

message 6: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments Amy wrote: "I have only read Orphan Train"

Did you like it? I've heard lots of great reviews. I don't typically read fiction, which is one of the reasons I joined this group. Trying to get some more variety in my reading. ;)

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments I did! We will point you to the very best fiction.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (athena78) | 74 comments . Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life by Joanna Weaver
Read this with a Women's study group from church. Very interesting and insightful!

The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now by Rita Emmett
I look forward to your review on this one, as a procrastinator myself, I could use a guide to help with this! ;-)

message 9: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments Jackie wrote: ". Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life by Joanna Weaver
Read this with a Women's study group from church. Very interesting and insightful!

The P..."

I look forward to finally getting to that one. Been putting it off way too long! Hopefully it gets picked this year. =)

message 10: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments I don't feel like I'm ever going to finish a book. It's torment, not being able to cross some of these off my list by March!!!

message 11: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3125 comments What are you reading that is holding you back?
I always feel like if I am not into a book it really slows my reading to a crawl. Even if I read everyday I just can't seem to progress the way I normally would. And I am the type that cannot DNF a book. Simply because I have had so many instances where I gain something later on so I can't bring myself to throw in the towel...

message 12: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments Meli wrote: "What are you reading that is holding you back?
I always feel like if I am not into a book it really slows my reading to a crawl. Even if I read everyday I just can't seem to progress the way I nor..."

My first TRIM book is 500 and some pages long. And my OCD wouldn't let me NOT start my Feb and March TRIM books, along with the March's tag book (I had it on my shelf at home already and that rarely happens to me on the monthly tags).

Soooo, I'm currently reading no less than 4 books at the moment. I shot myself in the foot, but where else can you complain if not in your own tracking feed? lol

I'm also like you, cannot DNF a book. It has to be atrocious, and I've only come across one/maybe two of those in all my time reading. Luckily none of the books I'm reading are slow, just long!

message 13: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments Been MIA for a while. Got some catching up to do!!!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments Welcome back, Becky!

message 15: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments Amy wrote: "Welcome back, Becky!"

Thanks! =D