Springfield-Greene County Library District discussion

Books You Read As a Teen

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What book did you read when you were a teen that made a big impact in your life?

What kind of books did you like reading when you were a teen? Has that since changed?

message 2: by Gina (last edited Apr 26, 2019 02:11PM) (new)

Gina When I first started reading on a regular basis as a teen, I read lots and lots of romance novels. My mom had a collection. I went from that to romantic suspense, and eventually moved on to mysteries. Now? I read a little bit of everything, but very little romance.

My first Nora Roberts book made me want to be a writer. I can't remember which one I started with, though.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments For me it was Harry Potter. I probably read those books more times then I can count when I was a teen. I love anything magical! I've loved several books since then.

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Belle | 3 comments Gone With the Wind, it's where I learned that tomorrow is another day and I still love that Colonial-style architecture!!

message 5: by Marily (new)

Marily (marilyhearts) | 2 comments I was obsessed with reading as many classics as possible when I was a teen. David Copperfield was the one that really pulled me in!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Oliver (a_oliver) | 5 comments Reading the Inkheart trilogy impacted me as a teenager. It was my first dab into the fantasy world and brought magic and wonder into my life! I remember anticipating the release of the final book and devouring it on my birthday. I marked my favorite chapters and would read them again when I felt lonely or sad.

Ironically, I rarely read fantasy now that I am an adult. Inkheart holds such a special place in my heart!

message 7: by Iggi (new)

Iggi (iggidee) | 9 comments I read nearly exclusively fantasy when I was a teen! The ones that stuck with me tended to be the more realistic ones though? Like Holly Black's Tithe series and Ursula K. LeGuin's A Wizard of Earthsea series.
Tithe didn't hold up when I tried it again as an adult, a bit grimdark (aka perfect for teen me), but I was glad to come back to Earthsea.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 33 comments Marily wrote: "I was obsessed with reading as many classics as possible when I was a teen. David Copperfield was the one that really pulled me in!"

I read a lot of classics as a teen, too, but I never read David Copperfield! I'll have to put it on my list. For some reason I read a lot fewer classics as an adult, but I'd like to get back into them again.