You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > January 2019 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Book nomination time! The winning theme is 'Famous Buildings.

It can have a famous building on the cover, have its name in the title, be set there or play some other role in the story.

Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as an e-book AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago AND 4) reasonably priced (under $12).

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alones.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close 22 December.

Nominations:

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15384 comments I nominate Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear (Big Ben on the cover)

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments I'll nominate The Little Paris Bookshop
The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George . The Eiffel Tower is on the right hand side of the cover.

message 4: by Agnetta (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Agnetta I would like to nominate The Unbearable Lightness of Being The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera by Milan Kundera. Old Town tower from Prague on the cover ! (14th century building.)

message 5: by Margo (last edited Dec 19, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

Margo | 10023 comments As far as I can see this cover contains Houses of Parliment, Big Ben and Westminster bridgeso I will nominate One Enchanted Evening One Enchanted Evening by Anton du Beke

message 6: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments I've been wanting to read Maisie Dobbs for quite a while now, so I second that nomination. (Thanks, Peggy :)

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2314 comments I would like to second The Little Paris Bookshop

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14188 comments I’ll second Maisie Dobbs.

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Wow - I have three of the four on my TBR. I can't think of a title with a building on the cover. Still looking.

message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17557 comments Agnetta wrote: "I would like to nominate The Unbearable Lightness of Being The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kunderaby Milan Kundera. Old Town tower from Prague on the cover ! (1..."

Welcome to YLTO, Agnetta!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49982 comments Welcome Agnetta. :)

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great I would like to nominate it because a friend enjoyed it. I read books about Kings and queens for comfort. January is always a hard month. A nice historical fiction sounds good

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Renee wrote: "The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great I would like to nominate it because a friend enjoyed it. I read books about Kings and queens for comfort. January is always a hard ..."

This one is a bit longer than we would normally go for at 444 pages. Do you have anything shorter that you'd like to nominate instead?

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments No worries, I've thrown it in the mix anyway as we didn't have many nominations.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.