Mount TBR 2019 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 books) > Margaret's 2019 Pike's Peak climb

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (last edited Dec 19, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) I thought 2018 would be my last year in the Mount TBR challenge. I got very serious about this and lowered my TBR hill down to only 9 (oops, make that 10; the new McSweeney's quarterly just came) books! However, my brother sent me actual *books* for Christmas instead of his usual Amazon gift certificate, so I'll be able to participate here once again.

message 2: by Margaret (last edited Dec 27, 2019 05:05AM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) Finalized list for 2019 Mount TBR challenge

Currently reading, but <50% finished:

1. Don Quijote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (I'm on page 187 of over 1,000.)
2. Sailing With Senta - Omnibus by Pierre Van Rooyen and Faith Van Rooyen (This Kindle freebie includes seven separate e-books, of which I've read two so far.)
3. How Things Work in Your Home by Time-Life Books (I've read the intro and the plumbing chapter)

Unfinished (and unstarted) from 2018 challenge:

4. Modern Architecture Since 1900 by William J.R. Curtis
5. El sol de Texas/ Under the Texas Sun by Conrado Espinoza
6. The Control of Nature by John McPhee - a different edition READ in December

Other books I've owned for more than a year:

7. Bird Watcher's Adventures in Tropical America by Alexander F. Skutch - READ in August
8. Broadsides from the Other Orders: A Book of Bugs by Sue Hubbell

Acquired in 2018:

9. Paradise News by David Lodge- READ in September
10. Mcsweeney's 54: End of Trust by Dave Eggers - READ in April
11. The Better Brain Solution: How to Start Now--At Any Age--To Reverse and Prevent Insulin Resistance of the Brain, Sharpen Cognitive Function, and Avoid Memory Loss by Steven Masley
12. The Patch by John McPhee - READ in March

5/12

message 3: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Yay for your brother sending books! So glad you'll be with us again. And I hope you like Paradise News. It's one of my favorites.

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Good for you! I can't imagine what NOT having a TBR would feel like... hehe

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Bev wrote: "Yay for)your brother sending books! So glad you'll be with us again. And I hope you like Paradise News. It's one of my favorites."

Yes, it looks great (thanks again for sending it when I won one of your drawings this year)!

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Jessika wrote: "Good for you! I can't imagine what NOT having a TBR would feel like... hehe"

Well, when you're an *extremely* slow reader like me (50 pages a day max.), putting a limit on that TBR becomes a necessity! That's why I appreciate this group so much.

message 7: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "Bev wrote: "Yay for)your brother sending books! So glad you'll be with us again. And I hope you like Paradise News. It's one of my favorites."

Yes, it looks great (thanks again for sending it when..."

You're very welcome!

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) I finally finished one of my books -- after two months.

Looks like I won't finish Don Quixote this year. I'll pretty much have to start it over from the beginning -- whenever I get around to it.

My reading speed gets slower by the day.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) I finished another TBR book last night. That makes two -- for one-third of the year.

I waited so long to read this book of essays that they're already starting to seem outdated. That'll teach me to let the pile get too big!

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Finally! I finished book #3 of 12. It was my favorite book of the year so far - A Bird Watcher's Adventures in Tropical America by Alexander F. Skutch. I learned so many new words while I read this (and not just ornithology words).

message 11: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Hope you've been able to get more read!

message 12: by Margaret (last edited Dec 13, 2019 04:30PM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) Bev wrote: "Hope you've been able to get more read!"

Yes, I finished Paradise News, which was wonderful (gave it to my daughter) and I just finished The Control of Nature. However, I can't really count The Control of Nature because I didn't read the copy I listed in my original goal post.

I found a paperback of this book while decluttering late in 2017, and have no idea how it came to be in my house. This summer, my son left quite a few of his books here because he was moving, and a hardback copy happened to be among them. Its larger font was easier for me to read, so I used it instead of "my" book.

message 13: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Glad you enjoyed Paradise News. That's one of my favorites. And--you absolutely can count The Control of Nature if you do actually own the book. It doesn't matter that it's not your exact copy.