Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > What’s a book you’ll never forget?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Rachel Adiyah (last edited Dec 19, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin The Lathe of Heaven

When I read this book I was about 20 years old, struggling to find my way in the world and caught between opposing philosophies about life. Then I read The Lathe of Heaven. I can't fully explain how it changed me inside, but I've never been the same. Because of this book I cherish the environment, believe that no "great plan" can change the world for the better, and also believe that people and animals have the right to be who and what they are so long as they don't hurt or bother anyone else. Changing everything under the direction of a Great Person is not the answer to life's problems; this is what I believe as a result of reading this novel. Problems cannot always be solved by massive counter-measures, sometimes it makes everything worse.

I don't know if you'll get the same ideas - maybe you would get different ones - from reading it, or that it would speak to you in the same tremendous way that it spoke to me. I'm not saying that this is the answer to the world's problems; this was the answer to my problems. I am not promoting anything about the book or my reaction as superior to anyone else's books, ideas, or philosophies.

But this is one book that I'll never forget.

And I'll also never again listen to either major version of "With a Little Help From My Friends" (The Beatles and Joe Cocker) without shedding a waterfall of tears.

⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 619 comments The Hunger Games. I was reluctant to read it for a long time, but when I finally did I was blown away. This book/trilogy made me fall in love with the dystopian genre, with YA in general, and it also kinda sparked my interest in politics. This story and characters will forever have a special place in my hearta

message 4: by manuella (new)

manuella (manuella_banewood) | 26 comments The Wrath and the Dawn, the Perfect book to me ! With amazing characters, a beautiful love story, a little touch of magic ! This book is a gem !

message 5: by gwen (new)

gwen (gwentg) ⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) wrote: "The Hunger Games. I was reluctant to read it for a long time, but when I finally did I was blown away. This book/trilogy made me fall in love with the dystopian genre, with YA in general, and it al..."

I totally agree!

message 6: by Ashley (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Ashley (queenofwonderland) | 29 comments So I may have gone a bit overboard here haha, but here goes:

Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness 💛; such a unique dystopian/ sci-fi novel. You love the characters like they are family because of the author’s gifted writing, and become so invested so quickly. One of my favorite trilogies of all time.

THE HUNGER GAMES - literally every emotion in existence felt while reading these novels. I read them orobabaky six times in a row in succession. So freakin good. Sigh.

Splintered series by AG Howard simply because it is the best Alice in Wonderland retelling series that I have ever read or come across. Absolutely wonderful.

The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brian ... what can I say other than this was a truly life changing read. A Historical Fiction style faux memoir recanting the narrator’s time in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. I don’t even have words to describe why it is so amazing... it just IS.

Brave Story by Miyuke Miyabe - an absolutely thrilling, fantastical, wild ride of an epic fantasy adventure. Portal writing lovers, Video game lovers, Neil Gaiman lovers, Epic adventure lovers, Pans Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro lovers, Fantasy & Sci-Fi lovers, alike... ANYONE, will (hopefully) love this book. Perfection. Adventure. Fantasy. Emotion. Amazing World Building and Character Devolpment. This book just has it all.

From when I was a kid : SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK, Charlie Brown’s Children’s Encyclopedia (unsure of the exact name), Magic Tree House series, Goosebumps series, RL Stine’s Fear Street Saga, A WRINKLE IN TIME & associated novels... oh I could name so many more!

Ah! I legitimately grew up with Harry Potter and read each and every novel repeatedly through the years. I read the first couple novels in elementary school and moved on up reading each and every novel immediately upon release (with a christmas morning level of anticipation), until the very last book ( #7 HP and the Deathly Hallows) was released the summer after my senior year of high school. I’ll never forget, especially, HP and the Order of the Phoenix , as well as (my ALL TIME HP FAV) HP and the Half-Blood Prince . Ugh EMOTION CITY.

And but of course my favorite book(s) of all time - Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland ( and Through The Looking Glass and What Alice Found There) !

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinfwong) | 89 comments A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) The Goldfinch, my favorite book.

Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) (beaglelover55) | 156 comments Helter Skelter, Jaws, The Asylum series, Harry Potter series, Elevation by S. King and NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.