What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Middle school?; Fiction; Mystery?; Possibly historical/fantasy; Plot: A walled city of only girls training for specific jobs; Possible spoilers ahead

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Calise (new)

Calise | 1 comments Disclaimer: I don't remember details clearly, so I'm not even sure if there are any spoilers.
I read this book in the early 2010s. The book was set in a city or town of some sort of only girls, separated by field of work. For example, there was something like a House of Beauty, where the girls focused on their appearances (I recall their hairpins being weapons, too). I think the plot revolved around the upcoming arrival of a prince, and his sudden disposal/poisoning? I believe one of the girls was accused, and the main character was investigating the affair.
Finally, my brain is very insistent on telling me that the main character's name started with an N (Nadia? Nadya?) and that she was a courier/messenger, but I'm not sure at all if these last two points are true.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34314 comments Mod
City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster? The main character is Nisha.

Some reviewers say, "After the empire decrees that families can only have two children per household, the City of A Thousand Dolls is created as a place of last resort for unwanted girls. In the city girls are taught skills in the different houses which increase their marketability." | "To deal with the glut of unwanted girls (of course) they have established the city, a huge orphanage where girls are educated in different houses (music, flowers, combat, pleasure, beauty, etc.)"

Google search -- site:www.goodreads.com "young adult" mystery "house of beauty" prince

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Gillette | 1 comments Hi,
Is it possibly the series Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin Series #1)
by Robin LaFevers? Hope this helps.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Grave Mercy for the link to Sharon's suggestion.