Play Book Tag discussion

Member ChallengeTracking 2016-20 > Amy's 2019 Challenge Year

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Dec 26, 2018 09:06PM) (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Keeping books for year at 85, but always shoot for and seem to land right at or about 100.

Will do Monthly Tag - at least 12
Trim the TBR - 12 (List at end)
PBT Horizons - 12
High Priority Books for 2019 - 14
Fall Flurries

This years Series - Forgotten Cemetery Series
This years Author - Carlos Ruiz Zaion - only one or two left anyway.

Other personal challenges:

Read two from my 2017 list
Read five from my 2018 list
Read five from my 2019 list (right now only has three)

Read at least 10 books that are owned

From the TBR:

1 from the top 10
2 from the top 25
2 from the top 100

High Priority Books for 2019: 7 are potential buddy reads, other 7 are series sequels or mean something to me that's not applicable to others.

Once Upon a River
The Clockmakers Daughter
The Lost Girls of Paris
The Huntress
The Storytellers Secret
Becoming
Where the Light Falls

The Angels Game
Steal Away Home
Eternal Life
The Defiant Heir
Invasion of the Tearing
The Winter Crown
The Moon Sister

And.... My Trim the TBR List?

1. A Pidgeon and A Boy
2. A Piece of the World
3. Angels in My Well
4. The Book of Lost Things
5. Caspian Rain
6. China Rich Girlfriend
7. Cold Sassy Tree
8. Come Back for Me
9. Correlli’s Mandolin
10. The Devil in Jerusalem
11. From Sand and Ash
12. The Emperor of Shoes
13. The Ghostwriter
14. If the Creek Don’t Rise
15. Incantation
16. The Invisible Bridge
17. The Jazz Palace
18. The Kitchen House
19. Ladder to the Skies
20. The Last Days of Café Leila
21. Lily of the Nile
22. Modern Girls
23. Mrs Houdini
24. Nine Perfect Strangers
25. Once We Were Brothers
26. Rain of Gold
27. The Secret Keeper
28. The Secret of Clouds
29. The Legend of Sheba
30. The Skeptic and the Rabbi
31. Something Beautiful Happened
32. Someone Else’s Love Story
33. Strange the Dreamer
34. Summer Wives
35. When We Were Gods
36. Wicked

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6197 comments I have From Sand and Ash on my TBR, so I will add it to my list at your number and I will change Invisible Bridge to 16. So we can do buddy reads if these are chosen.

I've read Corellis Mandolin, The Kitchen House and The Last Days of Café Leila so look forward to your review if they are chosen.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments BnB, I LOVE it that you are lining us up to match! That’s awesome! I’m honored and psyched!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

NIce!! I am going to work on my 2019 list over the weekend, or my two weeks off.:) Last day of school is Friday! We have so many of the same books. I loved Sand and Ash so much.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Rachel - just left you two messages, and one of them was to do line up our book lists and maybe read Invisible Bridge as #16 with us. Glad to hear you loved Sand and Ash!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments I am in for Invisible Bridge-also!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Joanne, then you have to make it your number 16. If the randomizer chooses it, were all in, no choice!

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments Amy wrote: "Joanne, then you have to make it your number 16. If the randomizer chooses it, were all in, no choice!"

I did move it on my list!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments I just saw that!

message 10: by Booknblues (last edited Dec 19, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

Booknblues | 6197 comments Woo! A threesome! Cool!

Now we have to hope for number 16.

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 817 comments I like your list! If the ones talked about for a buddy read are picked I may try to read it that month also just for fun.

message 12: by Joanne (last edited Dec 20, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments I am looking forward to your thoughts on The Invasion of the Tearling, I read the entire Trilogy(and this was when I first dipped my toe into the Fantasy Genre)-loved them!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Rachel - just left you two messages, and one of them was to do line up our book lists and maybe read Invisible Bridge as #16 with us. Glad to hear you loved Sand and Ash!"

I'm going to work on my list this weekend and we can compare notes.:)

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Love that Kelly! Rachel, we can be talking in real time about your lists this weekend because will be even in the same time zone!

message 15: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I haven't finished my list yet but I know Incantation is going to be on it so I will make sure to put it as number 15.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Thrilled! I hope it wins! I think I had forgotten it was on my list. I can’t wait to see yours. I think this is going to be a super fun challenge and we’re all going to love it because we can I get to read some really great things we wanted to.

message 17: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments This is going to be such a fun challenge! I'm hopefully going to get my list written up over the weekend, I have it pretty much complete over on a bookshelf I created called 'trim the tbr'.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments Amy wrote: "I just saw that!"

had to take off Invisible Bridge, as My library does not have it-I was able to add Ladder to the sky, so I am with you on that one.

message 19: by Kszr (new)

Kszr | 172 comments Amy - just catching up now - Carlos Ruiz Zaion's books are great! If you want, you can have my copy of A pidgeon and a boy. From your list, I read Book of Lost Things, Cold Sassy Tree (can also lend you a copy), Correlli's Mandolin, The Invisible Bridge, The Kitchen House and Once We Were Brothers. Favorite of these were Once We Were Brothers and The Invisible Bridge.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Seems a buddy read is forming if Invisible Bridge wins. I actually have a copy of both Once We Were Brothers and Cold Sassy Tree. I am hoping this challenge get me to finally pick them up. A lot of these are things I have meant to you and just haven’t come around. I’m so glad you popped up because I’ve been looking for you and your 36!

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Yes, I will borrow A Pidgeon and a Boy K, bring it to Clockmaker’s Daughter on the 27th! Happy Break and New Year.

message 22: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 23, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6012 comments Oh, Amy ... you will LOVE The Invisible Bridge ... I totally understand not including it in "the 36" especially if it's not readily available through your library. But request an ILL and definitely read it.

Or hunt up a used copy ... you won't be sorry. Link to my 5-star review

message 23: by Joanne (last edited Dec 23, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Oh, Amy ... you will LOVE The Invisible Bridge ... I totally understand not including it in "the 36" especially if it's not readily available through your library. But request an ILL..."

Yes BC, I definitely will be searching for a used copy of it-just can't put it on my list in case it comes too up to soon. I use my library's ILL all the time, but sometimes it takes weeks for the copy to show up(The entire State of Michigan is in our ILL, so it all depends where it is coming from) Hopefully if the # comes up I will still be able to read a long if I find a used copy!

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments I own one, Joanne. Too bad I can't send you mind. if I read it first thing in the month, I can send it to you....

OK, My lists are legit and honorable. My toughest time was the poor reception. If i use the hotspot on my phone, I can use my laptop. I went in there and switched 11 and 12. 11 is now From Sand and Ash, and 12 is the Emperor of Shoes. No one should be concerned that I am anything less than legit going into this. It is complete.

message 25: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I've been thinking of reading Lily of the Nile so I might join you unofficially if it gets picked for you and the timing works out for me. I also want to read Cleopatra's Daughter and then compare the two and I saw someone had it on their list but I can't remember who.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments I can’t remember either, but I noted it because I am a serious Michelle Moran fan.

Lily of the Nile and When We Were God’s are both Cleopatra books and they are holdovers from my Remarkable Women in Historical Fiction Challenge. Also still on my list is Mrs. Houdini, Legend of Sheba and Mademoiselle Chanel.

message 27: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7425 comments Hunh. I think I spotted a copy of Lily of the Nile at the bottom of one of the many stacks of books around my apartment that I was searching for my Gertrude Bell book for the Horizons challenge. Must go back to that stack and put it on top now.

And no, I did not yet find Gertrude, but still have many stacks plus shelves yet to search. Just to hedge my bets I downloaded Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia in ebook from NYPL. I suspect Gertrude in a fit of pique at my doing so has now gone into deep hiding, like at the bottom of my needlework WIPs pile.

message 28: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7425 comments Theresa wrote: "Hunh. I think I spotted a copy of Lily of the Nile at the bottom of one of the many stacks of books around my apartment that I was searching for my Gertrude Bell book for the Horizon..."

Yup. I do indeed have Lily of the Nile, and have moved it to the 2019 tower TBR.

Gertrude remains amongst the missing.

message 29: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) Amy- Just curious, how long have you been doing an author of the year challenge? It's a great idea.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Ann - its actually my first time! I don't like attempting a challenge I can't finish. That's why you'll never see me doing modern ms Darcy, or pop sugar. I didn't know what I can fit in. I always manage to do the monthly tag and the two year long challenges. Plus fall flurries. This year for a twist, I thought pick an author and a series, and just to make sure, I made them one and the same. I figure a series one wants to start or restart could be like a 3-4 book thing. And the authors? I have a list of 12 waiting. I think next year is going to be either Lucinda Riley or Taylor Jenkins Reid. Maybe if its Lucinda, Jemima will do it with me. Think you might take something like that on?

I also added for fun, the challenge of going for some of the oldest of the TBR and getting rid of some of the owned books. Figured that would be manageable. I guess we will see....

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) Thanks for the explanation, Amy. Glad you are having fun and making great progress toward your reading goals.

Yes, I possibly could try an author challenge next year. I usually do one personal challenge each year, so that could work well. Since the final season of Poldark is airing during 2019, Winston Graham might be a good option. I'd like to read the remaining books in the series, which goes beyond what the tv program will cover. Well, something to consider for 2020. :-)

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Friends, If anyone happens to check in on this personal thread, I just wanted to say that that for the first time ever, I finished all of the months challenges on October 2nd. With just two books that I was able to quickly plow through, the bulk being in October, I managed to finish the Monthly Tag, Trim, Horizons, and Fall Flurries! That is a first for me. Naturally I have plenty of Spain and plenty of Spooky just for fun lined up, but this is kind of neat to not to have to wait to delve into other things! Now reading the Snow Gypsy, which is already quite captivating.

message 33: by Joanne (last edited Oct 03, 2019 02:12PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments Good for you Amy! It is always great when books overlap into more than one challenge, makes the month so much easier, and gives you the time to read something you mat not have had time for-enjoy!

message 34: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7425 comments Amy wrote: "Friends, If anyone happens to check in on this personal thread, I just wanted to say that that for the first time ever, I finished all of the months challenges on October 2nd. With just two books t..."

Wonderful! That happened to me this summer -- although not quite so early in the month!

Now you can relax and just 'play'. Go spooky!

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 817 comments Amy wrote: "Friends, If anyone happens to check in on this personal thread, I just wanted to say that that for the first time ever, I finished all of the months challenges on October 2nd. With just two books t..."

Nice job!

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Just wanted to share my year roundup. Haven't missed a challenge since Feb 2016, including yearly Flurries. This year marks another 100 books, Tag, Trim, and Horizons.

10 nonfiction books
14 Jewish Books
18 owned books

Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon (read all)
Series: Shadow of the Wind Quartet

5 books from oldest 100 on TBR
7 Book Club Books
15 Goodreads Buddy Reads

14 high priorities books
2 from my 2017 list
14 from my 2018 list
20 from my 2019 list

And that's about it folks...

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7872 comments Amy wrote: "Just wanted to share my year roundup. Haven't missed a challenge since Feb 2016, including yearly Flurries. This year marks another 100 books, Tag, Trim, and Horizons."

You did well Amy, even "The Secret Phone List" came into play this year!

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 817 comments I also liked your top 10 book lists for 2019 and the decade. Many of my favorites were on your lists!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8855 comments Kelly, I noticed how in sync we were too!