Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > A book in the "Up Lit" genre

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Poll #15 - Polarizing

(Emily, if I didn't format this post correctly, please let me know and I will edit or delete)

The book that seems to come up most often when this genre is discussed is Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, which was one of my favorite books this year. I definitely want to read more in this new genre but it's difficult to know whether a book qualifies before reading it so I'm hoping we can help each other out here with suggestions.

There are a few books on my TBR that I have either seen mentioned in this category or seems like they may fit based on description and reviews. Would love to hear feedback by anyone who has read them:

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
Census
Fruit of the Drunken Tree
The Lido
Three Things About Elsie

message 2: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 609 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Poll #15 - Polarizing

(Emily, if I didn't format this post correctly, please let me know and I will edit or delete)

The book that seems to come up most often when this genre is discussed is [book..."

I only read about 30% of The Lido, I plan to finish it this year. It seems like it qualifies.

message 3: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Thanks Milena. I just took Census out of the library. It looks really interesting and I'll report back to say whether it would fit the genre.

message 4: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "I definitely want to read more in this new genre but it's difficult to know whether a book qualifies before reading it so I'm hoping we can help each other out here with suggestions."

I created a shelf of books that are (probably) Up Lit. Some of these are from lists I found, some are books others have tagged as such, some are books I've read that I think would qualify.

Personally, I think Up Lit is strictly literary/contemporary fiction and not historical fiction, sci-fi (including dystopia), fantasy (including magical realism), vintage/classics, young adult, etc.

As it is a new genre it's really murky about the qualifications, which I think is primarily why it didn't get voted onto the final list.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2221 comments Thanks for the list, dalex. I've added quite a few to my TBR!

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7222 comments Mod
Rachel, this is perfect formatting lol.

This is one of my favorite genres.. some that I've read and would recommend would be The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, A Man Called Ove, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.

message 7: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments lol glad I didn't mess up the folder.

Thanks dalex, I added a few of those to my TBR.

message 8: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments For the Chinese Zodiac prompt I read The Last Pearl Fisher of Scotland by Julia Stuart (which features a rabbit named Frank) and it most definitely is up-lit, in my opinion.

It is about a village scandal, a marriage in trouble, and a handicapped girl who will do anything to help her parents. Everything concluded with a happy-ever-after bow of joyfulness; it was quite an adorable little read. Interesting characters, just the right bit of humor, and a delightful setting. Quite a bit fluffier than what I usually read but I actually rather enjoyed it.