Nine Perfect Strangers Nine Perfect Strangers discussion

Could anyone finish this book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I wanted to. I even racked up boocoo bucks at the library of late fees, but I couldn't even get half way through. Just me? Is it worth it to complete?

Kay I listened to audio for about 2 hours and had to stop. It was boring.

Ariel I pushed through and it got better. It was chosen for our book club.

Julier I had to listen to the first part repeatedly, then got caught up a little. But my audio version was going to expire tomorrow! I finally got into it enough that I'm racing the clock to finish it before my audio book expires!

Jean Jones I finished it, but it was not easy. Repetitive and predictable.

Debby McLean I finished it but it was a slog. Her worst.

Sg.00 macc So off. I wondered why? What was the point of this book?

message 8: by Liz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liz Butler I fished it and it was awful! My resolution for this coming year is to stop reading whatever doesn’t grab me, and that’s thanks to this book. 🙄

A Tale of One Reader I enjoyed the beginning of the book very much, but not knowing Liane Moriarity's stories, the flip sort of took me off of the story, then I was alright with the ending. I'm planning on picking up another one of her book's this month. I think that if you are used to reading a lot of thrillers or suspense novels you might not enjoy it as much because of the slow burn plot at the beginning and then the twist is not fantastic, so I would imagine if you didn't really enjoy the beginning then the rest is not going to get better for you.

Laureen I am good at persevering with a so-so book. Is Liane Moriarty turning into her Character in the book “Frances”? I loved “The Husband’s Secret” and there were a couple of other books that I sort of enjoyed. I like what she is trying to do with the psychological questions raised in her later books but they are more and more unbelievable stories. Rerturn to solid earth Liane but twists are good if you can pull them off.

message 11: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee I thought it started out strong, then the middle was ok, and I really didn't like the ending. So all in all, not my favorite book from Liane.

Aliza Prodaniuk I wanted to love this book so much - but I found myself skimming the last hundred pages desperate to reach the conclusion. Although the story started off strong, it began to flounder in the middle, to become painfully repetitive, and by the time the wild LSD scene had descended upon me, I was over it. I have read a few comments suggesting that Liane Moriarty may be turning into her character 'Frances' and I am afraid that I may agree. After all, you have to write what you know. Better luck next time!

Carol Schaal I just finished the book and really enjoyed it. Got caught up in the characters lives. It probably helped that I hadn't read much about it and so didn't know what to expect.

It's not really a thriller, if that's what you want, but it is a fun read. Features hilarious comments on the wellness industry and spot-on remarks about women's obsession with their bodies.

Ahsen Chaudhry It started off as strong, sank as it went, became ludicrous at one point and then frances started writing the book obviously. It was an entertaining read, I can safely say i never saw the end scene coming the way it did.

message 15: by G (new) - rated it 3 stars

G I'm pleasantly surprised to find that apparently I wasn't the only one who had to force herself to keep going with this one... I actually ended up speed-reading whole sections (it was either that or lose my mind to a mixture of boredom and exasperation).
For me, the worst aspect of the book were all those unbearably ludicrous characters; IMO the plastic-fantastic silliness of them totally clashed with the tragic storylines (dead babies, dead teenagers, and the whole question of personal accountability), which made for a pretty uneasy mixture. In the end, I have to ask myself what the point of this novel was.

Sheelah Katz This was an outlandish read. I did finish it for lack of another book at the moment and because I always try to finish books. But I regret the time I spent with it so punt it. Not worth the time or focus. A terrible story.

Debra Schnitzer I really enjoyed the book. It is not a book I race through but it left me thinking about the characters while going about my daily chores. The characters were delightful. The woman who ran the resort was shown in different ways depending on the person talking about her, the visitors, her employees. Also telling her history made you understand her. I enjoyed the book. Different then her other books but that is a plus.

Christina L. I got through it but was very disappointed.. there was so much hype about it...I was the first on the list at the library out of 500 people who were/are on hold.

Debra Schnitzer Christina L. wrote: "I got through it but was very disappointed.. there was so much hype about it...I was the first on the list at the library out of 500 people who were/are on hold."

I liked it. Her characters were enigmatic enough that made me more interested in their motives then what was really going on in the story. Also Masha was just scary enough that the threat of real death seemed possible.

Maureen I read until page 191 and finally ditched it.....just does not rate up there with her other books. I gave it one star!

Lindsay I finished it and wished it hadn't. I need to get better at dropping books when I am really not enjoying them.

message 22: by Maika (new) - rated it 1 star

Maika No... I tried my hardest because I have never not finished a book (no matter how much I don't like it) but I could NOT do it... painfully boring!

Yvonne Vandenbosch Very disappointing. Had to force myself to finish it. It was like 2 different books, did not tie together well

Cheryl Ballard I finished it as I always push through to finish a book. It is not one of my favorites and I usually love this author's books.

Laureen Cheryl wrote: "I finished it as I always push through to finish a book. It is not one of my favorites and I usually love this author's books."

My experience too Cheryl. I think I have given up on this author. Loved "The Husband's Secret" but the books have gradually gone down hill from there - just my experience. Many others love this author who can do no wrong in their eyes.

Laureen Debra wrote: "Christina L. wrote: "I got through it but was very disappointed.. there was so much hype about it...I was the first on the list at the library out of 500 people who were/are on hold."

I liked it. ..."
Debra, I thought the characters were unrealistic and the story was manufactured to an unbelievable extent. However, I always respect the work an author has put into writing and I gave her the benefit of my doubt and finished it. I was very disappointed.

message 27: by CC (last edited Mar 26, 2019 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

CC I finished it because I'm stubborn and make terrible life choices. Kidding, but honestly it wasn't great :)

Jackie C Dragged myself through this book because it was a selected book for our book club. Even worse...I run the club and selected it. Her worst book. I found myself wondering where the terrible idea for the book came from. Terrible plot, or "non-plot". Terrible book.

Laureen Jackie wrote: "Dragged myself through this book because it was a selected book for our book club. Even worse...I run the club and selected it. Her worst book. I found myself wondering where the terrible idea for ..."

I agree totally Jackie.

Katie Meigel I liked it. It was a little slow, but I liked the story and the ending. I am not a reader of thrillers as a rule, so perhaps it would be awful for someone who is.

Julie Not a favorite - but I completed it.

message 32: by Rosie (new) - rated it 1 star

Rosie Ugh. No could do. Total disconnect. Very disappointed as it sounded like a good story.

Paula Vince Yep, and really enjoyed it!

message 34: by Kadrina (last edited Feb 24, 2020 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kadrina I think I read this with the same polite amusement you have when listening to a bored elderly relative prattle on about their life. If you pretend Frances is that elderly relative it becomes bearable and thankfully she takes up most of the chapters. The rest of the characters were pretty meh and there are wtf moments where you wonder what insane commercial break allowed THAT happen but overall if you don't take it too seriously or pretend it is good, it becomes good. lol.

Kylie I didn't like it, but I pursued just to finish it. I found it painful and boring to read.

Sally Olson I'd heard so many great things about Liane Moriarty's books. I figured I was missing out. Although I thought her writing style was engaging enough to move the reader along, the story itself was a slog, like others said. I also thought it was getting weird. I set it aside, then never returned to it. Then lo and behold, it was due back to the library. I marked it DNF on my read list.

Janet Interesting! I rarely put a book down without finishing it unless it is really bad. This one just did not grab my interest enough to stick with it. I didn't find I cared what happened to these people.

Victoria I thought it was going to be a great read. But... I had to quit reading it quite early on. It's on my DNF books.

Irene Bue I love her books. I finished this one; but definitely struggled with it. It's not her best.

Valé 'Big Little Lies' was much better than this one. The mystery element dragged its heels and when I thought there was the climax, it turned out anti-climatic.

Meenu Yes but was disappointed 😞

message 42: by Eleri (new) - rated it 1 star

Eleri Lloyd I was really intrigued during the first few chapters but then it just got boring! The ending was definitely not worth it in my opinion.

Tracy Taylor wrote: "I wanted to. I even racked up boocoo bucks at the library of late fees, but I couldn't even get half way through. Just me? Is it worth it to complete?"

The ending was ridiculous. It was so far fetched and boring. You didn't miss a thing.

message 44: by Jean (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jean Jones Finished, not worth it.

Tracy I'm hearing you!

Lorna Not me!

Alyssa I did feel like this drug on...kinda reminds me of a reality show thats on tbs right now (lost resort). I heard this will be made into a hbo show.

Laura Snider I finished it as an Audio Book. It helped because it allowed me to double the speed when I got to a point when it felt bogged down or repetitive.

message 49: by Kay (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Krusz Nope. I’ve started a new shelf “Too Boring to Finish”. I usually like this author though.

message 50: by Thiery (new) - added it

Thiery Happy to see others than me could'nt finish it ! Usually I like this author, but this one, and just can't read more than few chapters. Yes, I heard too that will be a HBO show this year.

« previous 1