2019 Resolution Group discussion

12 views
Save Money > Save Money

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I really want to save money next year as I'm moving out for the first time. Tips on saving are appreciated. ^_^


message 2: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) Ooh yes! I use a website called Digit. It saves a little bit of money at a time out of your checking and puts it aside. I really like it since I don't notice a few dollars here and there. The only downside is that they now charge for it. I think it's $3 a month


Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Aly wrote: "Ooh yes! I use a website called Digit. It saves a little bit of money at a time out of your checking and puts it aside. I really like it since I don't notice a few dollars here and there. The only ..."

Wouldn't that be all your savings though???


message 4: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) Haha it can be. I usually save about $80 a month. I'm thinking a better idea is to have a percentage of my paycheck automatically go to my savings. That way it's free and I'm not seeing the deduction so I won't use the money hopefully.


Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Aly wrote: "Haha it can be. I usually save about $80 a month. I'm thinking a better idea is to have a percentage of my paycheck automatically go to my savings. That way it's free and I'm not seeing the deducti..."

I think people usually recommend like 10%. Also I've heard recently about a parking space. It's a savings thing you are meant to spend but on specific things. Like unexpected medical bills. Or a treadmill. It's kind of like an emergency fund but you can spend it.


message 6: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) Bookbuyer wrote: "Aly wrote: "Haha it can be. I usually save about $80 a month. I'm thinking a better idea is to have a percentage of my paycheck automatically go to my savings. That way it's free and I'm not seeing..."
That sounds like a really good idea!


Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Aly wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Aly wrote: "Haha it can be. I usually save about $80 a month. I'm thinking a better idea is to have a percentage of my paycheck automatically go to my savings. That way it's free ..."

I got it from buzzfeed about millennial money stuff. I don't have a lot of income but I'm put some aside each month for my pet I'm going to get. Help pay for medical bills for it and food and such. :)


message 8: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments I try not to touch the money in my savings account. I'm not bad at spending a lot of excess money, but I do need to get better. I've pretty much stopped buying books, which helps. I just get them from the library. I hate spending money, so it's not super difficult for me to try and save. I just have a lot of expenses that I can't cut back on.


Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "I try not to touch the money in my savings account. I'm not bad at spending a lot of excess money, but I do need to get better. I've pretty much stopped buying books, which helps. I just get them f..."

Horses are pretty expensive so I'm not surprised there. Plus any writing materials. Also you have other animals too right? So I'm not surprised you have a lot of expenses you can't cut back on. ^-^


message 10: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Yes, horses are expensive. Luckily my writing doesn't really take money. Other than some index cards for outlining. Yes, we have a dog and cats. And I buy most of the groceries, so that's another one it's difficult to change.


message 11: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Yes, horses are expensive. Luckily my writing doesn't really take money. Other than some index cards for outlining. Yes, we have a dog and cats. And I buy most of the groceries, so that's another o..."

It would be. It's not like booze or cigarettes which you can cut back on or stop altogether. I guess you could buy cheaper food? But that can be bad. :/


message 12: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Yeah, I don't buy super cheap food. And I'm not going to start, haha. Mostly we're just trying to cut down on waste. Not that we have a lot, but more than we need to.


message 13: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Yeah, I don't buy super cheap food. And I'm not going to start, haha. Mostly we're just trying to cut down on waste. Not that we have a lot, but more than we need to."

Like recycling and composting stuff?


message 14: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Yeah, and just the fact that we sometimes waste food. We make too much and might not end up eating it. We are all terrible at overcooking. Apparently when you have a huge family it's a hard habit to break.


message 15: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Yeah, and just the fact that we sometimes waste food. We make too much and might not end up eating it. We are all terrible at overcooking. Apparently when you have a huge family it's a hard habit t..."

I'm like that too and I have only 3 member in my family. I always think I need to eat more than I think I do. Been working on that.


message 16: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments I've gotten a lot better at portion control in the last couple of years.


message 17: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "I've gotten a lot better at portion control in the last couple of years."

Good! That's a key to making sure you don't gain weight. After I finish working on portion on going to work on ratio. I eat way too many carbs. Need more fruits and veggies if I ever want to go vegetarian. :)


message 18: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Trying to get fruits and veggies is good. It also depends on what you are getting carbs from too. I eat tons of carbs, but it's mostly from whole wheat stuff, so it breaks down differently.


message 19: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Trying to get fruits and veggies is good. It also depends on what you are getting carbs from too. I eat tons of carbs, but it's mostly from whole wheat stuff, so it breaks down differently."

I don't eat a lot of whole wheat. I eat all the wrong kinds of food. Hence my weight. I'm going to slowly try to make better choices in 2019. I've already kind of started though. :)


message 20: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Chelsea wrote: "I really only have a couple financial goals this year, but here's what I've got.

- read five of my own books before buying a new one
– list pros and cons of reallocating stocks, then make a decisi..."


Good goals!


back to top