2019 Resolution Group discussion

Books > 2019 Reading Goal

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) What is your 2019 reading goal?

Mine is 2 a day so 730 but I'll be happy with 365

message 2: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments My "number" goal is 25 for 2019. This is really low for me, but with writing, working as a math tutor, and trying to get my own tutoring business as well as selling on eBay going, I don't want to set anything higher.

I also don't want to focus on numbers too much because reading loses enjoyment when I do that.

I also want to read at least 5 books that I already own.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "My "number" goal is 25 for 2019. This is really low for me, but with writing, working as a math tutor, and trying to get my own tutoring business as well as selling on eBay going, I don't want to s..."

Awesome goals! ^-^

Also great to see you again Courtney. I don't see you as much now. Having fun writing?

message 4: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Yes! I was just writing, actually. I am about to finish the first draft of my current project. :D And then I will write the sequel to Ruby and hopefully have it ready to release in April.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Yes! I was just writing, actually. I am about to finish the first draft of my current project. :D And then I will write the sequel to Ruby and hopefully have it ready to release in April."

OMG YAY! That's exciting! ^-^

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I was originally going to add writing as a goal for 2019 but I can't seem to find my spark anymore. Meds obscure it I think. Anxiety was my muse... :(

message 7: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Thank you! It feels great to be writing.

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Thank you! It feels great to be writing."

I remember that feeling. ^-^

message 9: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments I hope you can get back to writing!

message 10: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "I hope you can get back to writing!"

Me too. Maybe 2020?

message 11: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Go for 2019! All it takes is some discipline.

message 12: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Go for 2019! All it takes is some discipline."

I have a lot of big goals already in 2019. Not sure I have time for it. But I did try to plan in some writing in 2019. Might just try journaling or free form (?) for 2019.

message 13: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments That would be a good idea. Journaling can help a lot with writing.

message 14: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "That would be a good idea. Journaling can help a lot with writing."

Just have to make myself do it. I have confidence issues with writing. But I have a scheduled time which I'm hoping to work on. Slowly adding my schedule in. Been doing pretty well. :)

message 15: by Aly (last edited Jan 12, 2019 06:46AM) (new)

Aly (alyp_01) I'm hoping to read 200 books. It's less than I read this year, but with my new job I have less reading time. I also need to read more books that I own, especially my Owlcrate books.

*Edit Jan 12* I am at 12 books. If I could keep this pace up and read a book a day that would be awesome. I'm going to do my best :)

message 16: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I also need to read more books I own. But I also have a lot of ARCs. Decisions decisions. 🤔

message 17: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "C.P. wrote: "That would be a good idea. Journaling can help a lot with writing."

Just have to make myself do it. I have confidence issues with writing. But I have a scheduled time which I'm hoping..."

I have confidence issues with EVERYTHING, so I get that. Still, a lot of that is mindset and I have been working on changing my mindset. It seems to be going well.

message 18: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "C.P. wrote: "That would be a good idea. Journaling can help a lot with writing."

Just have to make myself do it. I have confidence issues with writing. But I have a scheduled tim..."

Hope I can too. I'm apparently a perfectionist and have only realized that this year. I think I knew it in the back of my mind but wasn't ready to accept it. Now I know and hate it. :/

message 19: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, particularly with writing, so it has taken a lot of work to stop worrying about it so much.

message 20: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, particularly with writing, so it has taken a lot of work to stop worrying about it so much."

That's what I need to do. It's why I want to start journaling fist. :)

message 21: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Yes, that helps. I used to journal a lot. Now I have these free writing warmups that I do just before I get into writing my stories that are kind of like journals.

message 22: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) C.P. wrote: "Yes, that helps. I used to journal a lot. Now I have these free writing warmups that I do just before I get into writing my stories that are kind of like journals."

Cool. So I can do that as a step two. ^-^

message 23: by Aranel (new)

Aranel | 1 comments I'm at uni right now so I'm reading a ton of textbooks and can't devote as much time as I'd like to personal reading, but I hope to finish 1-2 books per month.

message 24: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) That's a great goal! ^-^

message 25: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments That's a good goal! What are you studying, Aranel?

message 26: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Emm - Stories for Ghouls wrote: "I want to try to clean out my TBR as much as possible, so at least 50 books I've not read (counting shorts, poetry and smaller things like that). I'm going to be occupied with trying to get a novel..."

That's the problem with writing. You read to write and write to read and never have enough time for both.

message 27: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Emm - Stories for Ghouls wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Emm - Stories for Ghouls wrote: "I want to try to clean out my TBR as much as possible, so at least 50 books I've not read (counting shorts, poetry and smaller things like that). ..."

I'm the opposite for now. Reading is my only solace. But I am trying to get back into writing. I even made a writing folder here to encourage me and others and because at least three people have now mentioned writing as a goal. :)

message 28: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I don't think I can manage 3 pages a day right now. I'm starting with journaling and even that is daunting. But it is a goal. :)

message 29: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Just writing at all is a good goal. I like having deadlines, so I give myself a deadline for a certain project/draft.

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 32 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "I don't think I can manage 3 pages a day right now. I'm starting with journaling and even that is daunting. But it is a goal. :)"

It all counts. :)

message 31: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Jamie wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "I don't think I can manage 3 pages a day right now. I'm starting with journaling and even that is daunting. But it is a goal. :)"

It all counts. :)"

Thanks. :)

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 32 comments Reading goal: 200 books in a year. Wishful goal is a book a day average but not making that official. Then I just feel stressed at the end of the year.

message 33: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) So this is the challenge folder/signup thing. I'm new at this so it's not all fancy and might be confusing. lol.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Jamie wrote: "Reading goal: 200 books in a year. Wishful goal is a book a day average but not making that official. Then I just feel stressed at the end of the year."

Same. I usually mess with my goal thing. Up it when I get close and lower it when I get too far. :)

message 35: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Just started for the first time today. Now just need to keep up with it. :)

message 36: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) I have pushed myself this year and last year, which worked great and I feel like now I know how much I can read and don't want to focus too much on number of over-all books anymore. That said though I have a bunch of goals like "read 12 nonfiction books" "reread 12 books" etc. that if I complete them all that'll be a lot of books!

My main goal is too enjoy reading, as simple as that sounds. To just focus on reading what I want, when I want, and to enjoy it. So i'm going to set my Goodreads goal low (for me) at 65. I'm at 132 right now for 2018 and read 100 last year. Hopefully i'll fly past that 65 and my Goodreads challenge will really just be a place to see all the books i've read that year.

message 37: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Good luck, Stephanie! That's kind of what I'm doing too.

And Emm, I actually am good at keeping to my deadlines.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  (thornrose13) | 3 comments my goal is 219 books over the year. I know that going to be hard but I think that will be the fun of it.

message 39: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments How many do you usually read?

message 40: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 4 comments I want to reduce my to read list and not add more books to it. It is hard. I normally read about 5 per month but I may be slower because I'm reading the Pillars of Earth when I get it from the library and it is 900 pages. :) Wish me luck!

Good luck to sticking to your resolutions!

message 41: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Morrison (chelsealouise07) I'm shooting for about 70 books, because I want to focus on writing more this year. However, I always exceed my goal by quite a bit, so I'm sure that'll be easy.

message 42: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Chelsea wrote: "I'm shooting for about 70 books, because I want to focus on writing more this year. However, I always exceed my goal by quite a bit, so I'm sure that'll be easy."

We have a few writers in this group. This is going to be awesome. ^-^

message 43: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 72 comments Yes, there are several writers here. :) Good luck with goals everyone!

message 44: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) My goal is 200 and so far I'm at 24. I wish I could keep up with a book a day. If I can get ahead so I have a cushion that may work.

message 45: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Aly wrote: "My goal is 200 and so far I'm at 24. I wish I could keep up with a book a day. If I can get ahead so I have a cushion that may work."

A book a day is really hard. I was going for two a day and I'm still only reading about half a book a day. Maybe 3/4? lol. Manga and novellas will help if you like those. ^-^

message 46: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) Ooh that's a good idea. I want to read more manga

message 47: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Aly wrote: "Ooh that's a good idea. I want to read more manga"

We could BR some if you want. I'm currently reading Vampire Knight. I'm at vol 12. ^-^

message 48: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) Okay. I haven't really read manga before so I will take any suggestions you have

message 49: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Aly wrote: "Okay. I haven't really read manga before so I will take any suggestions you have"

What do you like to read? I read shojo, romance, and comedy mostly.

message 50: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) What is shojo?

« previous 1