Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Best of Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) At the beginning of this year, I read my first ever Stephen King novel. Ever since then I've been on a spree and have read nothing else other than King. I know I'm missing out on a lot of good books but after I tried to read a YA book after reading one of his novels, I found myself not being able to do it. What is you guys favorite King novel and what is your least favorite, and why? Curious to know. :)

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 392 comments Hey Peyton :) I'm glad there's another King fan! Honestly, I can't say what's my least favorite book of his because I never gave a rating under three stars. King wrote so much, there are still books I didn't read.

My favorite would be The Shining, The Green Mile, Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game (unpopular opinion). Unlike many people, I'm not really into his sci-fi novels, even if I never disliked a King book. I'm more into his horror, paranormal and psychological thriller books.

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments I have a very bad memory and therefore have a lot of difficulty retaining what I’ve read. I do remember how I felt while reading Misery though, it made quite an impact, so therefore that’s my favorite one. But I also loved IT and Pet Sematary etc etc lol

message 4: by Peyton (new)

Peyton B. (peyreece02) Those are my favorites as well, but I haven't read Gerald's Game. I'll have to check that one out. :)

message 5: by Aneeza (new)

Aneeza (goodreadscomaneeza_rafiq) | 16 comments The Long Walk. One of the lesser talked about books but belongs up there with The Stand and Shining.

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 392 comments Susy wrote: "I have a very bad memory and therefore have a lot of difficulty retaining what I’ve read. I do remember how I felt while reading Misery though, it made quite an impact, so therefore that’s my favor..."

Misery was really good. I cannot read it without the image of Kathy Bates in my mind, she was the perfect Annie! IT, of course. Pet Sematary, I liked less. I remember watching the movie again and again before I began to read Stephen King though, I loved it (I was a weird child).

Peyton wrote: "Those are my favorites as well, but I haven't read Gerald's Game. I'll have to check that one out. :)"

Gerald's Game is my unpopular opinion, few King fans consider it a favorite. If you want action, this is definitely not the book to read (many gave up because "nothing was happening"), but if you love the psychological King novels, you might like this one. It's one of those books that you either love or can't get into.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin The Shining. Its the most scary SK book because its the most realistic. If you subtract the ghost The Shining is about an alcoholic who is losing his mind and tries to kill his family. That can & does happen every day.

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) I haven't read all, but The Green Mile is my favorite so far.

message 9: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (byefelicia08) | 2 comments I think Pet Semetary is the scariest. If you're not into scary, Different Seasons is a good starter book into his more dramatic endeavors. It's a book of 4 novellas including the stories that inspired the movies Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me and Apt Pupil.

message 10: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Haven't read many, but I did enjoy Bag of Bones.

message 11: by edge (new)

edge  (baconnnnnnnnnn) | 47 comments The Shining and Carrie. Definitely.

message 12: by Vikas (new)

Vikas (vikaskhair) | 24 comments I have many King books but have read only few so more Carrie, The Thinner, Under the Dome, Ur etc. Enjoyed all so far.

message 13: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 71 comments Felicia wrote: "Different Seasons is a good starter book into his more dramatic endeavors. It's a book of 4 novellas..."
I remember reading Different Seasons about 30 years ago in High School, and it made a lasting impression.
On Writing A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
Several years ago, one of my students gave me Stephen King On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, which was extremely thoughtful of her. It's a very interesting look at his process!

message 14: by Victoria (new)

Victoria S | 10 comments My favourite of his books so far is Pet Sematary.

But I hope to read a lot more of his work.