Play Book Tag discussion

The Orchardist
This topic is about The Orchardist
Archive: Other Books > The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3423 comments The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin - 5 stars

Beautifully written powerful story of Talmadge, a stoic and kind-hearted individual who lives alone at his orchard after his parents died and his sister disappeared. He encounters two young pregnant teenage girls, Jane and Della, hiding in his orchard, attempting to escape a harrowing past. He feeds them and keeps his distance. Slowly a nurturing relationship develops. The story moves into what happens to the girls and how an unconventional family unit forms from the most unlikely sources.

I found it extremely poignant, sensitive, and evocative. It is quietly poetic, as the characters manage to find a glimmer of hope and happiness from the ashes of tragedy. It deals with the ramifications of past abuse, the fragile nature of trust, and parental feelings of frustration with trying, but not always succeeding, in helping family members make sound decisions. The primary characters are all likeable notwithstanding their foibles and eccentricities. I found myself rooting for all of them, especially the troubled ones. Each of the main characters deals with grief in his or her own way.

Though it takes place in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, the themes are timeless. They include the search for happiness, identity, and companionship; the desire to help others and to be useful; the need to get through life as best we can and leave a legacy for the future. Even though it is not action packed, it moves along at a steady pace. The characters are vividly developed, especially Talmadge. We see the difficulty of a man of few words attempting to give his heart to these wayward souls, persisting through multiple rebuffs, becoming heroic.

Amanda Coplin’s skills are remarkable, especially considering this is a debut novel. The prose is elegant. The author has a manner of expression that imparted clues to an individual’s essence. The scenes are easy to depict in the mind’s eye. Not only are the characters extremely memorable, but their relationship to the land, the orchard, is profound. I look forward to reading her future works. This book is truly a masterpiece and I have added it to my favorites. Loved it and highly recommend it to those who enjoy a quiet novel of what makes us human and the interconnectedness of our lives.

Link to my GR review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7469 comments Your review is marvelous-I have never read this author, but this book makes me want to!

Booknblues | 5765 comments Joy, you wrote a beautiful review. I loved this book when I read it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments Great review of a great book.

I loved this book.

Joy D | 3423 comments Thank you! I had not heard of this book before, so it was a really pleasant surprise.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review! Your review makes me want to read this book!

Joy D | 3423 comments Thanks, Rachel!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments I wish she would write another novel!

Joy D | 3423 comments Me too!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Orchardist (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amanda Coplin (other topics)