Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Brina’s Old and New Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina This is my first time participating in the Old and New Challenge and I’m excited to be a participant. Other than the old school books, the new school school, wildcard, and alternates had been on my tbr for awhile, so now I have the push to read them. I rarely read old school books, so now I have a reason to read group reads in that category as well. I am looking forward to this challenge and will be excited to see which books I complete.

message 3: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 769 comments Looks fantastic, Brina! Quite a few books on your list that I want to read to. Good luck with the challenge!

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Candi for reminding me of Wilma Dykeman. Just because I’m mainly reading nonfiction doesn’t mean that I can’t do fun challenges. I’m really looking forward to this one.

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Enjoy your challenge. The Awakening seems to be a little hit or miss with folks, but I thought is was good, really good. From the Earth to the Moon, I recommend reading that with a little tongue in cheek, Vern tells a good story, from a way different time.

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra Brina, you'll enjoy this challenge. Last year was my first year, too, and it was a lot of fun. You've got a good list of books.

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina Bob, I remember From Earth to Moon making a cameo appearance in Back to the Future Part III. The Awakening is a book I should have read by now. This gives me the oomph to read both. Petra, I’m definitely excited for this challenge.

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments This is a fun challenge, Brina! I'm interested in your choice of Eight Men Out. I think that would be a good one. I'll watch for your review. Happy Reading!

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina Terris, baseball is my life. I should have read Eight Men Out in 2018 but then my reading got derailed. That is another one I should have read by now.

message 10: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Brina wrote: "Terris, baseball is my life. I should have read Eight Men Out in 2018 but then my reading got derailed. That is another one I should have read by now."

Cool! My husband is a big baseball fan, so I've picked quite a bit up over the years. When we first met, I read a book about Mickey Mantle because I knew he liked baseball. Now we've been married 42 years!! ;)

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina If your husband is on goodreads, have him join the baseball book club. Shameless plug for group that I co-moderate. Generally most of the books we read are of the newer variety but I found one here that I can use for a challenge.

message 12: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Brina wrote: "If your husband is on goodreads, have him join the baseball book club. Shameless plug for group that I co-moderate. Generally most of the books we read are of the newer variety but I found one here..."

He's not on Goodreads, but I may go over and look at what you're reading. I might get some interesting reads there ;)
Thanks!

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Good looking list. I read The Awakening back in college for a class I took on Kate Chopin, and I loved it. Hope you enjoy it.

I need to mine your lists for some good baseball books.

message 14: by Brina (new)

Brina Angie and Terris, go for it. I have a shelf labeled baseball. The group also has a shelf and even I haven’t read all of those. Actually I’m excited about all 14 books but I’m most intrigued by The Awakening because it’s by a woman at a time when American women were starting to assert themselves across the board. I had already planned my year and had to tweak things to squeeze in the three old school books.

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments I looked at your baseball shelf -- very impressive! And some really interesting books there! I'll have to keep those in mind. Good summer books :)

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments Excellent list, Brina. I'm excited to see you'll be reading The Woman Warrior. I read it ages ago and loved it. Hope you do too!

message 17: by Brina (new)

Brina Kathleen, yet another one I should have read by now. Needless to say I should be calling this challenge a clear the tbr Old and New.

message 18: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5029 comments Mod
You have mostly chosen books with which I am unfamiliar, which is great because it gives me a chance to get some exposure to good picks as you read and review them!

message 19: by Brina (new)

Brina Sara, I said I’m only reading nonfiction next year but I included 6 fiction books that I really would like to get read. I have little experience with many of these authors either so I am giddy about this challenge.

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5029 comments Mod
I admire your ability to stick to non-fiction. I don't read enough of it, but I wouldn't make it on a diet of nf and nothing else. Good luck and happy reading.

message 21: by Brina (new)

Brina There were a few years when I didn’t read fiction at all. The years when my kids were ages 0-5 and 1-6 and I had almost no time to read. I read Harry Potter, mysteries, and nonfiction. I have been filling in fiction the last few years but got burnt out. Next year I’m trying to catch up with nonfiction and the year after I’ll read both again. Thank you and to you too :-)

message 22: by Cynda (last edited Dec 28, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Cynda | 2761 comments Hi Brina. I may read in tandem with you a couple of books on your list. The local library has copies of The Old Patagonian Express. I believe I have seen Chrissie frim our other GR group speaks highly of his writing. And I am interested in reading Juneteenth. I have read precious little of Ralph Ellison's books.

message 23: by Brina (new)

Brina Chrissie lead me to Theroux and I have read his most recent Deep South. I have the Patagonian Express scheduled for March. Juneteenth I have scheduled for June so I can finish on June 19. I have only read Ellison’s Invisible Man. This manuscript was found post-humous and has been on my tbr for the last two years as June 19 has passed me by.

message 24: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments I've never heard of most books in your challenge, so it will be definitely interesting to follow up. I'm interested in what you have to say about Doña Bárbara - love me some Latin American literature. Happy reading!

message 25: by Brina (new)

Brina Lotte, my forte is Latin American literature. I have this to read in July so feel free to read along. I am actually most excited about the old school books. I never do the old school reads and this allows me to participate in some of them. Hopefully this ends up being a rewarding challenge.

message 26: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 2761 comments Thanks Brina. Making note. March is Women's History Month, a very busy reading month, so I may read both books in June. June is much easier reading month for me. I will read your reviews as you post them.

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments Great list Brina! I'm reading If Beale Street Could Talk right now and liking it.

message 28: by Brina (new)

Brina Sue that’s my first book scheduled for the year. I hope to start on Tuesday morning if not before. I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. We will have to compare notes.

message 29: by Brina (new)

Brina I finished the first book for this challenge, If Beale Street Could Talk, my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments A great way to start the year, Brina!

message 31: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Kathleen. I have Steinbeck next although not on the challenge lol. I think my next challenge book here is We Bought an Island.

message 32: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Another person with a 5 star read to start the year, life can be good.

message 33: by Brina (new)

Brina Bob, after last year, I am inclined to agree. I am focusing on nonfiction and classics for the year and am really excited about it.

message 34: by Ila (new)

Ila | 379 comments I have never heard of quite a few books on your list and have now added some to my TBR shelf. All the best for your challenge!

message 35: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Ila. I’m reading a lot of nonfiction this year but I still wanted to participate in the challenge. I look forward to see if you read any of these.

message 36: by Brina (last edited Jan 14, 2019 06:26PM) (new)

Brina I finished Angela's Ashes and updated above, review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 37: by Petra (new)

Petra Brina, nice progress on this challenge; two books completed already! Well planned.