The Great American Read discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
PAST Group Reads 2019 > Little Women- January- SPOILER Thread

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J., Your Obedient Servant (last edited Dec 18, 2018 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
This is the spoiler thread for our January group read. Anything that happens in the book is fair game, so turn back if you haven't read that far and don't want to know.

This thread will be unlocked once some of us have started reading the book.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 24 comments I'm not very far (about 24%) but oh, how I love this story! The warmth between sisters and Marmee and her daughters is truly inspirational. I love books about women in families. (view spoiler)

message 3: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charley Girl wrote: "I'm not very far (about 24%) but oh, how I love this story! The warmth between sisters and Marmee and her daughters is truly inspirational. I love books about women in families. [spoilers removed]"

I enjoy reading about interpersonal female relationships that are actually realistic. Sometimes authors really miss it when it comes to writing dynamic, multi-dimensional women.

message 4: by Scott (last edited Jan 08, 2019 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott | 4 comments Not quite half-way through this one. I had just read Fellowship of the Rings and, before that, Game of Thrones. Talk about a change of pace!

At first, I found the book annoying. The girls came off as whiny, superficial, and immature. Meg and Jo, in particular, don't seem to act or think like 17 and 16-year-olds. But then I got to the part where Father is sick, then Beth gets scarlet fever which provides some genuinely emotional passages.

Interestingly, there are a handful of instances -- perhaps too few for a modern reader -- in which the girls, especially Meg and jo again, express some frustration for the shallow limitations placed on women's opportunities in society. Jo is a bit of a tomboy with professional ambitions who chafes at ridiculous notions of it being improper to run and play and get messy as a young woman.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) For me, the book is too dated.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 24 comments I loved the book! I loved the relationships and I find that struggles women have today are expressed in frustration just as the restriction on the Marches. I like to experience something different that I can relate to in a modern way. It shows our growth as women. The main ideas of family, loyalty and love are universal. I find it to be timeless.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Charley Girl wrote: "I loved the book! I loved the relationships and I find that struggles women have today are expressed in frustration just as the restriction on the Marches. I like to experience something different ..."

I 'm glad you loved it! I was sometimes humbled by the way they dealt with the challenges they faced. I remember being in awe of Jo when I was a child, especially when she sold her hair!

While the times look very different, teenagers still experience many of the same fears and emotions. They still want to fit in, and may feel mortified if they think they don't. Sisters still love each other despite jealousies and annoyances. Women are still faced with unfair treatment, but while we may speak out, at some point we just deal with it and do the best we can.

Holly Mahaney (hollywood1228) | 5 comments I read an abridged version that was about 200 pages. I felt the first part was a little slow, but this isn't normally the type of book that I read. I am really glad that I finished it, and enjoyed the ending. I liked to read more about when the girls were grown, and I think that's why I didn't care so much for when they were younger. I really thought that Jo was going to end up with Laurie, then I thought Beth would. But I'm glad to see that it was Amy. I would have liked to hear more about their adult lives.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Holly wrote: "I read an abridged version that was about 200 pages. I felt the first part was a little slow, but this isn't normally the type of book that I read. I am really glad that I finished it, and enjoyed ..."

If you feel like the abridgment left you hanging, it probably eliminated sections or all of part 2 (which was originally published as Good Wives). If you get the longer book from the library and skim through the last half, you might find more chapters of interest about their adult lives.

Little Men focused on Jo's sons (or students - I can't remember which came first), but I think the sisters are in there too. I read them all when I was really young.

message 10: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finally finished this re-read. I forgot how preachy it could be at times, but i suppose that's more the era it was written than anything else. I just really enjoy this book overall. That the girls are allowed to have internal lives and struggles and meaningful relationships that aren't romantic is refreshing even if it does end up being an antiquated sort of ending.