The Great American Read discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
PAST Group Reads 2019 > Little Women- January- NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
This is the January group read. Start here with comments, impressions, thoughts, or just to say you'll be joining in! No spoilers on this thread. We'll unlock the spoiler thread once some of us have started reading it.

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2018 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
J. wrote: "This is the January group read. Start here with comments, impressions, thoughts, or just to say you'll be joining in! No spoilers on this thread. We'll unlock the spoiler thread once some of us hav..."

Thanks Joy for setting these up and for facilitating. I read this book at least twice when I was young, along with her other books, and I saw almost every movie version. I might not read it all again, but I'll join in the discussion. I think the book starts on a holiday, so this is a great time to start reading it.

As you read the first couple chapters, think about this:

Which March sister are you? Or what other characters do you relate to?

QNPoohBear | 16 comments First clarify whether this read is for both Little Women and Good Wives or just Little Women. Here in the U.S. they're both in one volume but in other places and for abridged adaptations it's usually just Little Women, the first part of the novel.

This is one of my favorite books of all times. The opening sentence is wonderful and sets the tone of the novel. I have recently introduced my young nieces to the story through the 1994 movie and a visit to Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House. I got them Little Women but it's still a bit too hard for their age group. I enjoyed the short version. Then I read Littler Women: A Modern Retelling. I really enjoyed this adaptation. It's a direct retelling very close to the original but set in modern day. I have a hard time thinking of my nieces "like liking" boys in a few years but otherwise it was sweet. If you, like me, have read this book so many times you want another retelling, I highly recommend The Penderwicks series.

I'm absolutely 100% Jo but when I was younger, I was part Beth. I was very shy and I am still reserved and can be shy, I'm still mostly Jo. (More the real Louisa than Jo).

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 28, 2018 11:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it was different in other locations. I think we should read the combined book.

Goodreads lists it as having 449 pages, which I believe includes the material in both part 1 and part 2 (good wives). Most editions don't mention the parts, but if a copy has at least 400 pages, it should be the right version. I would avoid purchasing shorter versions as they might be missing chapters, or perhaps they were abridged for smaller children.

message 5: by Parker (new) - added it

Parker | 204 comments I'm Jo. 100% through and through.

Has anyone seen the PBS version that was shown earlier this year? Maya Hawke (Ethan Hawke's daughter) is Jo, and she's absolutely marvelous.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Parker wrote: "I'm Jo. 100% through and through.

Has anyone seen the PBS version that was shown earlier this year? Maya Hawke (Ethan Hawke's daughter) is Jo, and she's absolutely marvelous."

I only saw the beginning. She's a good actress, and her face was really interesting to watch. She looked so familiar. I had to look her up to discover I was seeing Uma Thurman in her face. She didn't immediately strike me as Jo, but that's probably because Katherine Hepburn was etched in my brain as Jo, and she was so exuberant (they really overacted back then).

QNPoohBear | 16 comments I have the nice big, fat version I read in 5th grade. The illustrations are atrocious.

I did see the PBS version. It wasn't bad but I have yet to see an adaptation that really does justice to this book. Kate Hepburn is my favorite Jo.

message 8: by NancyJ, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

QNPoohBear wrote: "I have the nice big, fat version I read in 5th grade. The illustrations are atrocious.

I did see the PBS version. It wasn't bad but I have yet to see an adaptation that really does justice to th..."

Wow, compare the hair styles in that picture with the more modern hair styles in the miniseries.

message 9: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't think I've ever seen any of the screen adaptations.

message 10: by QNPoohBear (last edited Dec 22, 2018 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

QNPoohBear | 16 comments My favorite illustrated edition is Jessie Wilcox Smith. I don't own a copy but I'd love an early edition from the 1920s. Her illustrations are gorgeous and period correct. May Alcott, Louisa's sister, illustrated an early edition but even she didn't like her own drawings that much.

Most people seem to like the 1990s movie adaptation but it didn't quite wow me the way it did everyone else.

message 11: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Has anyone started reading yet? I'll be starting my re-read early next week.

Rachel (rachelreader14) I would love to be Jo, but I suspect that I am much more Meg/Beth. I did watch the PBS version and having just read Little Women this fall, I thought that they did encompass the essential quality of the book. However, I will always be a huge fan of the Winona Rider version.

Stacy | 1 comments I finished reading on Feb. 20th-- it was nice to revisit it again after 35 years. : )

message 14: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished it recently as well. I got kind of behind, because unforeseen life events, but I still love it!

I'm mostly Jo less the tomboy-ish aspects of her personality. But the know-it-all and say it outloud independent streak is full force over here.