Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Buddy Reads 2019

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments I was just looking over the 2019 Plans for reading that people are posting and I noticed that there are books on my "36" that are on others-Right now my list is just in Alpha order, but I thought closer to the end of the month, if no one minds, could I troll your lists and change my # to match yours-I had a lot of success with the buddy-reads this year and I am more committed to finishing a book I am not liking if I have joined a buddy-read.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Well, I have 14 books I plan to read for sure in 2019, so I am happy to make some suggestions. When I’m at home on my computer I will list the 14. I have some serious good reads work to do. I’ve been on the fly. I can tell you a few of the titles are these:

Clockmakers Daughter
The Huntress
The lost girls of Paris
The Storytellers Secret
The Moon Sister (this is a book five on a series)
Becoming

There are 8 more. They were so important to me that I didn’t even dare put them on my 36 trim the TBR. Because I wanted to make absolutely sure they happened. Later I will provide the other eight names, but if anybody likes any of these and feels like they could be a good suggested but he read, feel free… Or feel free to make your own suggestions and what’s on your top list. Additionally, largely I’ve seen that but he reads come out of the tag. Hopefully, that’s helpful.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Once upon a river. How could I have forgotten! Thanks for the reminder Joanne. That’s definitely on my 2019 immediate list.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments At the library it’s easy to remember. Three of them are sequels.... The Defiant Heir, the Winter Queen, and The Invasion of the Tearling. That’s 10. I promise to come back with the other four. But he = Buddy, for those of you who can’t follow voice posting - and really, who can?

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Where the Light Falls by Allison Pataki. So close. Three left...

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "Once upon a river. How could I have forgotten! Thanks for the reminder Joanne. That’s definitely on my 2019 immediate list."

I will hold off on Once upon A River & The Huntress and definitely join in for those -Is Winter Queen a follow up to Winter Palace? I just got Clockmakers Daughter, so I have to read it this month, as going back on the Library Wait List would not be a good idea. The others I don't know of, but if they peak my interest I will be in!

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Looking forward to reading your thoughts on The Clockmaker's Daughter! I own it on audio and hope to get to it at the start of 2019.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments My IRL book club is doing it on Jan 27th. (Clockmakers Daughter). We had planned for December, but no one could get the book! That’s why I was joking that KSZR and I would buy them for all our friends. So I’m definitely writing it in January. So you at the very least will be reading it with me! Winter Queen is not a follow up to Winter Palace although there is a second one. It’s the follow up to Summer Queen? Eleanor of Aquataine.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "My IRL book club is doing it on Jan 27th. (Clockmakers Daughter). We had planned for December, but no one could get the book! That’s why I was joking that KSZR and I would buy them for all our frie..."

oooo! I love Eleanor-Reading the last of Penman's books about her right now-I will have to check out Summer Queen.

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5742 comments I'd be in for Winter Queen as I love anything medieval. Is it called Winter Crown by Elizabeth Chadwick?

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments You know it actually could be. And I’m not convinced of that summer queen is the name of the first either. It’s summer something. But I’m not likely to get to winter Crown until later in the year because I’ve got so much going on upfront. If you want to read the first one and catch up we can read the second one together. But I do have the feeling that there’s gonna be other folks who are going to want to read some of these choices. The huntress, once upon a river, Clockmakers Daughter.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Well, I have 14 books I plan to read for sure in 2019, so I am happy to make some suggestions. When I’m at home on my computer I will list the 14. I have some serious good reads work to do. I’ve be..."

Oh, Amy...I have the Clockmaker's Daughter sitting on my shelf right now. I wanted to read it last month and didn't get to it.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Looks like Clockmakers Daughter is our January Buddy Read! We have you, Me, Nicole, and KSZR.

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments Amy wrote: "Looks like Clockmakers Daughter is our January Buddy Read! We have you, Me, Nicole, and KSZR."

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I am not signing on to a buddy read in January. Just looking forward to reading Joanne's review.

Buddy reads aren't really my thing because I am THE WORST at planning reads in advance...I am more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of gal.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments You are absolutely not committed in any way, shape or form. No one is.... You are however welcome if inspired!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Looks like Clockmakers Daughter is our January Buddy Read! We have you, Me, Nicole, and KSZR."

Count me in then! I am going to work on my plan this next week and figure out next year.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments It’s a lot of work for PBT is December. Round up, Set Up! Exciting though! Can’t wait to see your 10 and you’re 36.

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1580 comments I loved the buddy reads I did with you guys last year!!! And it's on sale right now at Amazon and I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket!!

message 19: by Joanne (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "Looks like Clockmakers Daughter is our January Buddy Read! We have you, Me, Nicole, and KSZR."

I swore I was not going to pick it up last night....so much for that-The first chapter roped me and I had to move it to another room so I can finish what is on my night stand first!

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Ok - Charlotte and Joanne are in for the buddy read of Clockmakers Daughter! Where are our other usual suspects? Theresa, Magdalena, Meli, KateNZ? BnB?

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6636 comments Sorry, not on my TBR. Plus I start 2019 Pop Sugar and have a stack on my bedside table just counting the days until I pick them up to read for it. First up is Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk which I plan to read on New Year's Day.

Will however keep an eye on what all you are buddy reading during the year. I'm bound to join in from time to time.

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "Ok - Charlotte and Joanne are in for the buddy read of Clockmakers Daughter! Where are our other usual suspects? Theresa, Magdalena, Meli, KateNZ? BnB?"

I am reading it right now Amy-due back to the library on the 31st and 3 holds are waiting for it! I will join the discussion though and will hold my review then too

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Get the credit for 2018 if you want it – LOL. Just saw from another thread that another good buddy read idea might be a map of salt and stars. That’s on my TBR, but not my 36. But on my eyes for this year....

message 24: by Joanne (last edited Dec 19, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Theresa wrote: "Sorry, not on my TBR. Plus I start 2019 Pop Sugar and have a stack on my bedside table just counting the days until I pick them up to read for it. First up is [book:Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk|299..."

Lillian looks interesting-can't wait to hear your review

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "Get the credit for 2018 if you want it – LOL. Just saw from another thread that another good buddy read idea might be a map of salt and stars. That’s on my TBR, but not my 36. But on my eyes for th..."

I won't get a review in-in-time for December-the way it is looking, it won't go back to the Library on time!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Theresa, that is a great pick for New Years Day! I read it early last year too.... we will get you for another buddy read later in the year. I think we are all itching to find out January’s tag, randomizer number, and culture.

message 27: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments Amy wrote: "Ok - Charlotte and Joanne are in for the buddy read of Clockmakers Daughter! Where are our other usual suspects? Theresa, Magdalena, Meli, KateNZ? BnB?"

Unfortunately I am gonna have to decline this one as I have another book for January that may take all month.

message 28: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments Not currently on the list but I’ll certainly think about it :)

message 29: by Charlotte (last edited Dec 19, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Charlotte | 1580 comments Theresa wrote: "Sorry, not on my TBR. Plus I start 2019 Pop Sugar and have a stack on my bedside table just counting the days until I pick them up to read for it. First up is Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

For PopSugar, I have The Wedding Date out from the library (due Jan 3rd) that I'm going to read on Jan 1 and check off #34 A book that includes a wedding.

The Clockmaker's daughter is going to be delivered just before the new year so I'll be ready for that next.

Then I'm going to read for the prompt, culture and random number and hope that I can knock off some more Pop Sugar prompts with those. Then I have my IRL book clubs that are reading Year of Yes and The Great Alone.

I might have been a bit ambitious for all the book reading that I've signed up for lol!

message 30: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5742 comments Amy, I am up for The lost girls of Paris. It isn't released until January 29, so I could start shortly after the release.

message 31: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6636 comments I've been kicking around for quite a while a potential buddy read that's a tad unusual, would need to be spread over 2 or 3 months, but this is a group that it might just work in.

How many of you are familiar with The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, and in particular the history behind its publication in Russia and translation and publication in English?

For those who don't know, Bulgakov wrote this satirical comedic fantasy novel about the devil set in Moscow under Stalin. He rewrote it regularly and in fact it was not published during his lifetime. 40 years after his death, a heavily censored, with at least 12 pages of excised text, was published in Paris (around 1967). the full text was not published until years later, and that was of the 1940 version. Needless to say, there have been various translations into English, each based on a different version of the 'original' Russian text -- including one of the heavily censored edition. Debate rages over what is the definitive translation because there are 2 issues on which no one agrees -- 1. which text was used as the basis for the translation and is it the definitive text by Bulgakov, and 2. is the best translation one that strictly sticks to the original base text or is it the one which perhaps has the translator taking some liberties, but creates the flow and effect that Bulgakov was aiming for (this is of course always the debate with translations).

My thought was to do a buddy read of at least 2 of the translations, and discuss their relative merits and differences - one would be this one that is ballyhooed as the first complete one The Master and Margarita. The other would be the latest entry into the fray - The Master and Margarita (personally the cover on this one calls me). There are plenty of other possibilities, expanding this into a 3 or more book comparison.

What do you all think? Am I crazy?

message 32: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments I posted this in the 2019 challenges thread also, but I've decided to go through and make my Trim the TBR list partially from other's lists.

So if that number comes out, I'll have the same book as someone else- and who that book is being read by all on my Trim the TBR list. Insta-Buddy Read! I'm still compiling my list, but I know some people here I've already stolen some books from!

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments I might consider reading the Master and Margarita if the time was right - and the mood struck. But here's where I would say, yes you are crazy.... I am not prepared to read more than one version and compare and contrast them. But you might just find someone whose crazy too, and whose up for that more advanced challenge.

message 34: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Amy wrote: "Ok - Charlotte and Joanne are in for the buddy read of Clockmakers Daughter! Where are our other usual suspects? Theresa, Magdalena, Meli, KateNZ? BnB?"

I probably won't be joining for Clockmakers Daughter since mysteries aren't really my thing but I may join for some of the others. :)

message 35: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6636 comments Amy wrote: "I might consider reading the Master and Margarita if the time was right - and the mood struck. But here's where I would say, yes you are crazy.... I am not prepared to read more than one version an..."

It would be more of a middle of the year thing, when something odd might be just what is needed to shake things up.

message 36: by Meli (last edited Dec 21, 2018 04:50AM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments I read The Master and Margarita this year but didn't do any research on the various translations until after I finished. My translation turns out to be maybe the worst, the Picadillo(?) version, but this one - The Master and Margarita - I bought and intend to reread at some point. Supposed to be the least censored and include many previously cut scenes.
I too love the cover of the version you shared, but I read something that turned me off from that particular translation.

I don't think I could read 2 different versions, it is quite dense and time consuming.

But if you read this next year and I am aware I would be interested in a buddy read with you.

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "I might consider reading the Master and Margarita if the time was right - and the mood struck. But here's where I would say, yes you are crazy.... I am not prepared to read more than one version an..."

Maybe some members could read one version, and another group the 2nd verison???

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Theresa wrote: "Amy wrote: "I might consider reading the Master and Margarita if the time was right - and the mood struck. But here's where I would say, yes you are crazy.... I am not prepared to read more than on..."

Theresa-my comment to Amy is that perhaps we could do 2 teams, each reading a different version-it certainly would fit into the Cultural Theme

message 39: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments I like that idea better! I love the idea of reading 2 versions back to back so you can see the differences, but I am not up for it, so 2 teams is a great compromise and we can compare and contrast.

I am going to be so challenged by the PBT members next year, so excited! 😍

message 40: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6636 comments Meli wrote: "I read The Master and Margarita this year but didn't do any research on the various translations until after I finished. My translation turns out to be maybe the worst, the Picadillo(?) version, bu..."

I learned about the whole hoopla about translations when the 50th Anniversary Edition came out - many talks about it around NYC - that's this one: The Master and Margarita - that's the one with the cover I like. Here's an interesting article from several years ago about the translations, and it has a couple of update links at the very bottom bringing it to 2016, when this version published.

https://orangeraisin.wordpress.com/20...

In truth, this is all very nerdy.

message 41: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6636 comments Meli wrote: "I like that idea better! I love the idea of reading 2 versions back to back so you can see the differences, but I am not up for it, so 2 teams is a great compromise and we can compare and contrast...."

That's a great idea! Teams that each pick a different translation to read and then a general discussion.