Austenesque Lovers TBR Challenge 2019 discussion

Y-T-D Challenge Tracker > Sara's Leisurely Journey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments This is where I will track my Jaff for 2019! Probably less opportunnity than in past years ad commute is longer so need more audible! Cheers!

message 2: by Sara (last edited Jan 11, 2019 01:01PM) (new)

Sara | 139 comments 1-A Gift for Elizabeth 4 stars
2-Venetia Audible 4 stars NON JAFF
3-The Dastardly Mr Hurst and The Cowardly Mr Bingley 4 stars
4-River Truce 3 stars
5-Henry: A Pride & Prejudice Novella 5 stars
6-Christmas with Mr Darcy 3 stars (vaguely JAFF related)
7-Resentment 3 stars
8-In Good Conscience 5 sars AMAZING GO READ IT NOW!!
9-Left Shoulder 2 stars (depressing)

So a running start to the new year. I highly recommend everyone read the series from #8. it's worth every penny!

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) You need to learn to slow down if you want your journey to be a leisurely one! But it looks as if the scenery were mostly enjoyable.

message 4: by Sara (last edited Feb 28, 2019 08:17AM) (new)

Sara | 139 comments WOW. I haven't been here much with my new job, family obligations, etc. But it's time for an update.

10-The Houseguest A Pride and Prejudice Vagary 2nd time audible 5 stars
11-Trapped at Rosings: A Pride and Prejudice Variation3 stars
12-Parents Youth 3 stars
13-No Other Escape 3 stars
14-A Bachelor Establishment Audible 4 stars (NON JAFF)
15-Friends and Enemies: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Audible 2nd read 5 stars
16-Our Lady of Longbourn 4 stars
17-Gossip Requited; a Pride & Prejudice Vignette 3 stars
18-A Fault in Their Characters; a Pride & Prejudice Variation 4 stars
19-Regrets, I Have But a Few 3 stars
20-The Cliffs of Hertfordshire 3 stars (finally got around to reading this. I enjoyed it but thought it went to far, hence 3 and not 4 stars)
21-The Five Graces of Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 3 stars I was on the fence on this one. read my review.
22-Mr. Darcy's Letter: A Pride & Prejudice Variation 4 stars Audible
23-Colonel Darcy: An Elizabeth and Darcy Story 4 stars Audible
24-A Third Proposal: A Short Story 4 stars
25-The Courtship of Edward Gardiner: A Pride & Prejudice Prequel 5 stars audible 2nd read
26-Trouble Comes to Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars
27-President Darcy: A Modern Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars Audible 2nd read
28-Sketching Character 2nd read 5 stars
29-With All Her Heart: A Pride and Prejudice Re-imagining. 3 stars
30-Darcy's Passions: Pride and Prejudice Retold Through His Eyes 3 stars Audible
31-The Perfect Gift: A Pride & Prejudice Novella 5 stars Audible 2nd read
32-Rumour Has It -- a Pride & Prejudice Variation 4 stars
33-The Duchess of Devonshire 2nd read 5 stars
34-Kidnapped 5 stars 2nd read
35-Renewing Old Acquaintance 4 stars
36-An Old Acquaintance 4 stars
37-Mr. Darcy's Plot: A Pride and Prejudice Sensual Intimate 3 stars 2nd read
38-Escape with Mr. Darcy: a Pride and Prejudice variation 4 stars (read on FFiction, not published version)
39-No More Tears 4 stars

message 5: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 510 comments Sara wrote: "WOW. I haven't been here much with my new job, family obligations, etc. But it's time for an update.

10-The Houseguest A Pride and Prejudice Vagary 2nd time audible 5 stars
11-[bo..."

Fantastic!!

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) That's an amazing total, Sara, considering how busy your life is!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Abigail wrote: "That's an amazing total, Sara, considering how busy your life is!"
Thanks. I commute about 2.5 hours total each day so Its lots of Auible and FFiction cause it reads the text to me. harder to get to the Kindle ones because when I'm home I'm playing with the kiddos! LOL! I appreciate all the support from this community and feel bad I haven't been as engaged this year.

message 8: by wosedwew (new)

wosedwew | 368 comments Sara wrote: "Abigail wrote: "That's an amazing total, Sara, considering how busy your life is!"
Thanks. I commute about 2.5 hours total each day so Its lots of Auible and FFiction cause it reads the text to me...."

Kudos on your progress!

I didn't know Audible could read from FF sites. Do you make a word document or something? I should look into it. I read lots of unpublished.

message 9: by Sara (last edited Mar 01, 2019 02:03PM) (new)

Sara | 139 comments wosedwew wrote: "Sara wrote: "Abigail wrote: "That's an amazing total, Sara, considering how busy your life is!"
Thanks. I commute about 2.5 hours total each day so Its lots of Auible and FFiction cause it reads th..."

Audible doesn't, but the FFiction app on my phone has a speaker option and it reads the text (through siri). So, it becomes audible but it's read by a computer so pronunciation and tone is not correct. But it works! Don't know how to do it for other sites though. I would love to do it for stuff on AHA. Maybe I'll find a hack.

message 10: by wosedwew (new)

wosedwew | 368 comments OK -- I'm a functional illiterate phone-wise! I still use a house phone (I know, I get chortled at by family members) and my cell is a Trac-Phone that costs $7/mo. At that, I average 3 calls/mo. so it's kinda costly but I have it for emergencies. It does not function except it can make calls!

message 11: by Sara (last edited Feb 28, 2019 01:38PM) (new)

Sara | 139 comments wosedwew wrote: "OK -- I'm a functional illiterate phone-wise! I still use a house phone (I know, I get chortled at by family members) and my cell is a Trac-Phone that costs $7/mo. At that, I average 3 calls/mo. so..."

HA HA! ok, well, in that case . . . .

message 12: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Congratulations on your progress, Sara.

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments J. W. wrote: "Congratulations on your progress, Sara."

Thanks. Much slower this year. but I'm still trucking.

message 14: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Sara, it's not the speed that defines our journey. It is reaching the destination that counts. So... as far as we get is as far as we get. Enjoy your ride. We'll be right there with you.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments J. W. wrote: "Sara, it's not the speed that defines our journey. It is reaching the destination that counts. So... as far as we get is as far as we get. Enjoy your ride. We'll be right there with you."

Thanks. I'm aslo being more picky. I don't want to read a story unless it appears worth it. why waste my prescious time!

message 16: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments I agree, Sara. That is why I depend on my GR friends to warn/alert me to something I might have bought only to find it was a big mistake. I have done that... taken one for the team. I think at some point we all have. That's the benefit in belonging to GR. I have read some incredible stories based on recommendations. I have avoided 'meh' based on reviews and comments. So... I guess you can say I'm being picky too, this year. I am still in recovery mode and am just cruising through my stacks. I'm still adding books but I will read them later.

message 17: by Jeannine (last edited Mar 01, 2019 01:23PM) (new)

Jeannine | 39 comments Sara wrote: "wosedwew wrote: "Sara wrote: "Abigail wrote: "That's an amazing total, Sara, considering how busy your life is!"
Thanks. I commute about 2.5 hours total each day so Its lots of Auible and FFiction ..."

Sara, Thank you so much for mentioning this! I have just downloaded the fanfiction app for my android phone, and adjusted my settings to read in a UK English accent. I am now able to listen to fanfiction.net stories on my phone!

I would not have known about this app if you had not mentioned it. Thank you again.

Jeannine

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Jeannine wrote: "Sara wrote: "wosedwew wrote: "Sara wrote: "Abigail wrote: "That's an amazing total, Sara, considering how busy your life is!"
Thanks. I commute about 2.5 hours total each day so Its lots of Auible ..."

You are more than welcome!

message 19: by Anji (new)

Anji | 735 comments You're doing so well considering your reading time is so much less this year, Sara. Now I have to track down that app for reading from ff.net!

message 20: by wosedwew (new)

wosedwew | 368 comments Sara -- thanks for the tip about Natural Read. I started with it today and listened to a story I had downloaded a while back. I haven't figured out how to go directly to a FF site yet but I will work on it.

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments wosedwew wrote: "Sara -- thanks for the tip about Natural Read. I started with it today and listened to a story I had downloaded a while back. I haven't figured out how to go directly to a FF site yet but I will wo..."
I'm so glad. if Ffiction is available online, it should work that way too. ;)

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments 40- Forewarned But Not Forearmed 3 stars
41- By Order of Their Birth, First 5 stars
42- One Door To Far 4 stars
43-Mr. Darcy's Compassion: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 5 stars
44- Virtue Once Lost 3 stars
45- Mr. Bennet Takes Charge 5 stars
46- Eldest 3 stars (work not complete)
47- Miss Darcy's Companion: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 5 stars Audible 2nd read
48- The Benefits of Extensive Reading: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars
49- Waking to Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Novella 4 stars 2nd read
50- First Impressions 4 stas 2nd read audible
51- Lucky Suit Audible 4 stars NOT JAFF
52- A Very Mary Christmas: A Pride and Prejudice Novella 4 stars
53- Discovering Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Novella 4 stars 2nd read
54- Not an Heiress: A Pride and Prejudice Novella 3 stars
55- In the Wilds of Derbyshire 4 stars Audibl 2nd read
56- The Strange Disappearance of Lizzie Bennet 4 stars 2nd read
57- The Triumphant Emergence of Elizabeth Darcy 5 stars 2nd read (not finished because author was revising and had health issues see reviews)

Whew! Caught back up! YAY!

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary | 171 comments Fantastic progress,Sara!🎉🎈

message 24: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Whew! Great list indeed.

message 25: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 245 comments Fabulous progress Sara! I see you also are rereading some favourites. Sometimes it is nice to read something that's a sure thing.

message 26: by Sara (last edited Apr 29, 2019 06:57AM) (new)

Sara | 139 comments 58-Determination -- a Pride and Prejudice Variation 3 stars (mostly Jane and Colonel) (listened)
59- Unravelling Mr. Darcy: A Pride and Prejudice Novella 3 stars 2nd read
60-In Want of a Wife 3 stars
61-In a more amiable light: A Pride and Prejudice novella 3.5 stars
62-The Governess: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 3 stars
63-To Get It Right - A Wedding Night Story 3 stars listened online
64-Darcy and Deception: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars
65-What He Would Not Do: Mr. Darcy's Tale Continues 3 stars Audible
66-A Noble Masquerade 5 stars Audible NOT JAFF
67-The Impulse of the Moment 4 stars
68-An Elegant Façade 4 stars Audible NOT JAFF
69-An Uncommon Courtship 4 stars Audible NOT JAFF
70-The Naked Duke 3 stars Audible, Trigger warning, rape and violence NOT JAFF
71- An Inconvenient Beauty 4 stars Audible NOT JAFF
72- The Lady's Jewels: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars (was kinda predictable and tad too long).

Whew. I really enjoyed the Hawthorne house non-JAFF series. Does have some religious tones but was really great, especially the first book.

message 27: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments Great list, Sara. You will soon join me at the Miss Fanny Price Level. Looking forward to sharing a cuppa with you.

message 28: by Anji (new)

Anji | 735 comments J. W. wrote: "Great list, Sara. You will soon join me at the Miss Fanny Price Level. Looking forward to sharing a cuppa with you."

Me, too!

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Thanks Ladies! I'll be there soon. Just finished 73 and almost done with 74! WOO HOO!

message 30: by Anji (new)

Anji | 735 comments Looking forward to seeing you there, Sara!

message 31: by Sara (last edited Apr 29, 2019 07:07AM) (new)

Sara | 139 comments 73-The Duke and I 3 stars Audible (NON JAFF)
74-His Frozen Heart: A Pride & Prejudice Novella 4 stars
75-Secrets Kept 4 stars
76-Thirty Days of Silver 4 stars
77-Taken 4 stars
78-Fancy Meeting Your Here 3 stars
79-Henry's Legacy 4.5 stars
80-Letters From Derbyshire 4 stars
81-A Mother's Favorite Wish 4 stars
82-Compassion 3 stars
83-A Letter of Denial and a Letter of Goodbye 3.5 stars
84- The Maleficence of Jessabelle 4 stars
85- The Second Sister 4.5 stars
86-Their Share of Vexations 4 stars (a tad too long and bit to violent and crazy)

Whew. I've been enjoying more adventurous books lately. Almost time to visit the Colonel. I cannot wait!

message 32: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 510 comments Sara wrote: "73-The Duke and I 3 stars Audible (NON JAFF)
74-His Frozen Heart: A Pride & Prejudice Novella 4 stars
75-Secrets Kept 4 stars
76-[book:Thirty Days of S..."

Excellent!!

message 33: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1252 comments That is quite a list there, Sara. Well done! A visit with the Colonel is always a good plan.

message 34: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Great job, Sara! Number 86 sounds like "vexations" is an understatement!

message 35: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 245 comments Great progress Sara!

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Thanks Ladies. Abigail, definitely an understatment for sure. More like, how crazy can the villians be and how badly can we punish them while mixing in a marriage and MA scenes. that said, i enjoyed it, but it was too long.

message 37: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments 87-The Gardiner Connection 3 stars
88-Discovery 3 stars
89-The Most Natural Thing 3 stars
90-Slightly Married NON_JAFF 4.5 stars Audible
91-The Journey 2nd read Audible 5 stars
92-Slightly Wicked 4 stars NON-JAFF Audible
93-Slightly Scandalous 4 stars NON-JAFF Audible
94-Mr. Bennet's Daughter: An Elizabeth and Darcy Story 3 stars (i didn't like how this was dealt with by the characters but enjoyed the plot).
95-Slightly Tempted 4 stars NON-JAFF Audible
96-Slightly Sinful 4 stars NON-JAFF Audible
97-A Sense of Obligation: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars 2nd read
98-Love Unsought 4 stars, a bit unplausible but i went with it.
99-With the Colonel's Help: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4.5 stars very enjoyable.
100-A Trifling Cold: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 3.5 stars rounded up.
101-Slightly Dangerous 5 stars NON-JAFF Audible

Whew all caught up. As you can see i was sucked into the Bedwyn saga and loved it! Man, what an interesting family. Does have adult scenes. the narrator is also very good.

message 38: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Well done on making it to Pemberley, Sara!

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments 102-The Mist of Her Memory: A Pride & Prejudice Romantic Suspense Variation 4.5 stars
103-Gardiner’s Business Investors: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 1 star STAY AWAY
104-The Bride 5 stars, Audible, non-JAFF but READ IT!!!!!
105-The Proposal 4 stars, Audible, non-JAFF
106-The Arrangement 4 stars, Audible, non-JAFF
107-An Unwavering Trust 5 stars 3rd read Audible
108-Pick Me Up 4.5 stars 2nd read
109-An Intolerable Situation: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 3 stars (too much of the intolerable for me)
110-Betrayal 4 stars
111- A Large Party of Friends 3 stars
112-The Escape 4 stars, Audible, non-JAF
113-It's Always Been You 4 stars great summer read!
114- book on AHA that author doesn't want disclosed. 4 stars but not-finished.

Whew. that was a good slog of books. I'm ready for more, but have to admit to being a bit burned out on the new JAFF lately. Too many duds than greats.

message 40: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) You're amazing, Sara! I hope the next book is so wonderful that you forget that burned-out feeling! Maybe a little non-P&P Austenesque might help?

message 41: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 245 comments I bought The Bride on your fabulous review, looking forward to read it. Might I suggest Never Mind! by Nicky Roth if you are not too tired of JAFF? It is an hilarious modern story, far off canon.

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments 115-Only Enchanting Non-Jaff Audible 4 stars
116-In the Way of Other Rich Men: A Pride and Prejudice "What if...?" Novella 3 stars
117-Only a Promise Non-Jaff Audible 4 stars
118-The Path to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 3.5 stars
119-Armed Robbery: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 4 stars
120-Only a Kiss Non-Jaff Audible 4 stars
121-Only Beloved Non-Jaff Audible 5 stars
122-Mr. Darcy's Fiancée: A Pride and Prejudice Variation 3 stars, i strugled with this book so much.
123-Darcy Steps In: A Pride & Prejudice Variation 3 stars
124-Book (SW) not published written by fellow GR reader. LOVED IT. 4.5 stars. Will be even better when edited a tad more. (not sure if she wants it disclosed).

And I'm all caught up again. seems to be taking so much longer this year to dig through the books!

message 43: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Elin wrote: "I bought The Bride on your fabulous review, looking forward to read it. Might I suggest Never Mind! by Nicky Roth if you are not too tired of JAFF? It is an hilarious modern story, far off canon."

Thank you Elin for the recommendation. I'll check it out!

message 44: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 245 comments Thank you Sara!!! I am extatic, you made my day! Still Waters is not a secret. I just don't want to push it on anyone that is not interested and I am a tad embarrassed for some reason... If you like I can send you my next book. Veni Vidi Vicious, where I adapt PnP into the Viking era. It is brutal as I refuse to romanticize but it will be a while before it is finished. Picture Darcy as Fenrir Darcyson the Jarl (earl) of Nidaros. lol

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Elin! That sounds amazing! I love the early highland period and assume this will be a tad similar.

message 46: by wosedwew (new)

wosedwew | 368 comments Elin wrote: "Thank you Sara!!! I am extatic, you made my day! Still Waters is not a secret. I just don't want to push it on anyone that is not interested and I am a tad embarrassed for some reason... If you lik..."

OOOO -- a Viking Darcy! There's a pitch I haven't seen before

message 47: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 245 comments I actually firts contemplated to write a Highlander story but I am much more familiar with the Viking era and it has been brewing in the back of my mind for a couple of years. Suddenly I am obsessed and write 5000 words a day and having a blast while doing it. Lol

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Elin wrote: "I actually firts contemplated to write a Highlander story but I am much more familiar with the Viking era and it has been brewing in the back of my mind for a couple of years. Suddenly I am obsesse..."

i think both era's would be great! i love the board you shared. Has me salivating for the final work!

message 49: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 245 comments I had to create the board because Matthew Macfadyen kept creeping into my mind while writing the Viking story and his vulnerability would not do in this case. Jason Momoa is perfect for a badass Darcy, don't you think ;)

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara | 139 comments Elin wrote: "I had to create the board because Matthew Macfadyen kept creeping into my mind while writing the Viking story and his vulnerability would not do in this case. Jason Momoa is perfect for a badass Da..."

Yum, er . . . I mean Yes!

« previous 1