Play Book Tag discussion

Space Opera
This topic is about Space Opera
December 2018: Geek Reads > Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1312 comments Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente

3 1/2 stars

Space Opera is often described as a Eurovision meets Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I found that to be a very accurate description. Humanity has reached the point in its evolution that our galactic neighbors have to decide if we should be considered sentient and worthy of inclusion in the galactic community. After some really bad wars between alien planets, it was decided that the best way to determine worthiness is a singing competition. Coming in last means your species is destroyed. Can the musicians chosen to represent humanity save our world.

This was a fun book to read. Ms. Valente certainly has a great imagination and a wonderful descriptive voice. I think that I chose the wrong time of year to tackle this one. Some of the chapters that were informing the reader about the new alien species encountered or the background of the world that she built detracted from the plot. Since it was a busy time of year, I did not have the focus of attention to truly appreciate these passages and found myself zoning out until the main characters appeared on the page. When I had the ability to really focus on the flowery descriptions, they were wonderful, but I did find myself missing a lot of it as my mind began to wander. Despite my scattered focus, it was a fun book with great characters in a universe that I would love to learn more about.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments This sounds like fun!

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I absolutely adored this book when I read it a few months ago. I'm a Space Opera Evangelist.

message 4: by Amy N. (new) - added it

Amy N. | 256 comments I literally have this checked out from the library right now and I'm so glad everyone liked it! I'm excited to read it.