Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Emily's 2019 Old & New Classic Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Good idea, Emily! I haven't read Little Dorritt or Ulysses, but the rest are all "must reads!" Good luck!

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Great idea! You've got some wonderful books on that list.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Terris wrote: "Good idea, Emily! I haven't read Little Dorritt or Ulysses, but the rest are all "must reads!" Good luck!"

I'm looking forward to all these classics I just haven't gotten to yet! And once I finish Little Dorrit and Oliver Twist, I will have read all (except Barnaby Rudge I believe, which is harder to come by) of the Dickens novels. And I've only ever read Finnegans Wake by Joyce so even though Ulysses seems daunting, I figure it can't be as bad as Finnegans Wake haha....

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Petra wrote: "Great idea! You've got some wonderful books on that list."

Thank you! It'll be nice to finally see what all the fuss is about with these classics :)

message 6: by Brina (new)

Brina Good luck Emily. I’m also reading Angela’s Ashes. I have it scheduled for next month. Maybe we can read together.

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
What a terrific list. All Quiet on the Western Front is stunning and one of my all-time favorites. I hope you enjoy all of your selections.

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2422 comments Emily wrote: "Terris wrote: "Good idea, Emily! I haven't read Little Dorritt or Ulysses, but the rest are all "must reads!" Good luck!"

I'm looking forward to all these classics I just haven't gotten to yet! An..."

Wow! You've done well with Dickens!
Good luck with Joyce though ;)

message 9: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 552 comments Let me know when you start reading Oliver Twist. I am reading 1-2 books by Dickens every year, and that one keeps getting put off for some reason. 2019 is the year! I will buddy read with you, if you’re up for it. :)

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Brina wrote: "Good luck Emily. I’m also reading Angela’s Ashes. I have it scheduled for next month. Maybe we can read together."

I would be up for that!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Bob wrote: "What a terrific list. All Quiet on the Western Front is stunning and one of my all-time favorites. I hope you enjoy all of your selections."

Thank you!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Terris wrote: "Emily wrote: "Terris wrote: "Good idea, Emily! I haven't read Little Dorritt or Ulysses, but the rest are all "must reads!" Good luck!"

I'm looking forward to all these classics I just haven't got..."

Thank you!!

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Paula W wrote: "Let me know when you start reading Oliver Twist. I am reading 1-2 books by Dickens every year, and that one keeps getting put off for some reason. 2019 is the year! I will buddy read with you, if y..."

I would be up for that-I will probably read it closer to middle of the year since I want to read The Stand first and that's a big 'un.

message 14: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5030 comments Mod
You have some great choices here. I am reading Little Dorrit right now and enjoying it very much.

message 15: by Renee (last edited Dec 20, 2018 04:49AM) (new)

Renee | 864 comments That's a great list you have there! I've only read a few of them, but most are on my TBR, so I hope to get to them eventually. I read All Quiet on the Western Front this year. It's an amazing, but depressing story. I hope you enjoy them all, and have fun with the challenge!

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Sara wrote: "You have some great choices here. I am reading Little Dorrit right now and enjoying it very much."

Thanks-I've heard very good things about Little Dorrit so I'm looking forward to that one.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Renee wrote: "That's a great list you have there! I've only read a few of them, but most are on my TBR, so I hope to get to them eventually. I read All Quiet on the Western Front this year. It's an..."

Thanks-these have definitely been on my TBR for a long long time and need to get checked off this year!

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Good luck with your challenge!

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Pink wrote: "Good luck with your challenge!"

Thank you! It will definitely be a challenge, but I'm prepared to meet it head-on!

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Brina wrote: "Good luck Emily. I’m also reading Angela’s Ashes. I have it scheduled for next month. Maybe we can read together."

Hi Brina, I decided to start Angela's Ashes this month so if you're still up for it we can buddy read!

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Update:

<1899
Oliver Twist
Little Dorrit
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

>1900
The Stand
Ulysses
Angela's Ashes

Wild Card Six
The House of Mirth
Beloved
Bel Canto
Cannery Row
On the Road
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Alternates
In Cold Blood
All Quiet on the Western Front

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra Nice start on your challenge, Emily.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Petra wrote: "Nice start on your challenge, Emily."

Thanks! I really enjoyed Angela's Ashes.

message 24: by Ila (new)

Ila | 379 comments Congrats on your progress Emily!

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Ila wrote: "Congrats on your progress Emily!"

Thanks Ila! One down, 11 (+) to go!

message 26: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Jan 21, 2019 08:16AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3059 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Terris wrote: "Good idea, Emily! I haven't read Little Dorritt or Ulysses, but the rest are all "must reads!" Good luck!"

I'm looking forward to all these classics I just haven't gotten to yet! An..."

I think most readers of classics have one book that started them on their journey. For me it was Oliver Twist which I read in Seventh Grade. It is a great book. All Quiet on the Western Front is so good! It was the first book I read with this group and my favorite book from last year! Good luck with all your reading. There are many on your list I have not read yet and like you I want to reduce my TBR list this year.

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Lynn wrote: "Emily wrote: "Terris wrote: "Good idea, Emily! I haven't read Little Dorritt or Ulysses, but the rest are all "must reads!" Good luck!"

I'm looking forward to all these classics I just haven't got..."

Getting classics off the TBR list is a great "New Year's resolution"!
I enjoyed Great Expectations and David Copperfield in high school and have read most of the other Dickens novels only in the past few years.

Thanks for the encouragement, and good luck to you in your 2019 reading goals as well.

message 28: by Emily (last edited Feb 04, 2019 11:39AM) (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Update. Loved Cannery Row. But when does one not love Steinbeck?

Cleaning up my TBR list. These books have sat there for way too long.

<1899
Oliver Twist
Little Dorrit

>1900
The Stand
Ulysses
Angela's Ashes

Wild Card Six
The House of Mirth
Beloved
Bel Canto
Cannery Row
On the Road
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Alternates
In Cold Blood

message 29: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I agree, Cannery Row was a lot of fun to read.

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Update: The House of Mirth lived up to my expectations. After reading Age of Innocence and Ethan Frome I expected going in that I would really like House of Mirth. Wharton just has an engaging writing style that sucks me in.

<1899
Oliver Twist
Little Dorrit

>1900
The Stand
Ulysses
Angela's Ashes

Wild Card Six
The House of Mirth
Beloved
Bel Canto
Cannery Row
On the Road
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Alternates
In Cold Blood

message 31: by Emily (last edited Mar 14, 2019 06:44AM) (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Currently reading On the Road and liking it so far (surprising) and just starting Oliver Twist with co-workers.

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3174 comments I've loved all of the ones you've completed so far and want to read the two you are starting on. I know I'll love Oliver Twist since I love Dickens and the film. I'm glad One the Road is starting out good.

message 33: by Emily (last edited Apr 02, 2019 01:24PM) (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Update: I really liked On the Road when I first started it, but it started to lose my love about halfway in. Overall, it ended up as a 3-star rating for me.

Currently a little over halfway through Oliver Twist and enjoying it very much, as I do any Dickens novel, really.

<1899
Oliver Twist
Little Dorrit

>1900
The Stand
Ulysses
Angela's Ashes

Wild Card Six
The House of Mirth
Beloved
Bel Canto
Cannery Row
On the Road
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Alternates
In Cold Blood

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Update: Finished Oliver Twist and enjoyed the characters immensely, though the plot was pretty typical. It was motivating to buddy read it with Paula as I finished it in half the time I would've otherwise.

<1899
Oliver Twist
Little Dorrit

>1900
The Stand
Ulysses
Angela's Ashes

Wild Card Six
The House of Mirth
Beloved
Bel Canto
Cannery Row
On the Road
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Alternates
In Cold Blood

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I remember being surprised at liking Oliver Twist, but it was quite good. I'm still fond of Mirth's Lily Bart, a great read. But I didn't care for On the Road at all. You still have some excellent reading ahead.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Bob wrote: "I remember being surprised at liking Oliver Twist, but it was quite good. I'm still fond of Mirth's Lily Bart, a great read. But I didn't care for On the Road at all. You still have some excellent ..."

Thanks, Bob. I can't help but like Dickens' writing, every time. And Wharton always has such complexity to her characters. I agree, On the Road had potential but I did not end up a huge Kerouac fan in the end. I will give him another shot or two eventually just to see if any of his other works appeal to me but I probably won't pursue him too hard.
In other news, I'm going to be sad when I start The Hunchback now that I heard about the Notre Dame fire! :(

message 37: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

The fire at Notre Dame has hurt my heart! Irreplaceable.

message 38: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments That fire is just too sad, especially after reading the Hugo novel.

message 39: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Now we are a news outlet, I hadn't heard about this tragedy until reading these posts. Centuries gone in minutes, so very, very sad.

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Bob wrote: "Now we are a news outlet, I hadn't heard about this tragedy until reading these posts. Centuries gone in minutes, so very, very sad."

I agree. It looked so beautiful.

And, goodreads is my favorite social media platform. Still have to keep that pesky facebook though since most of my friends and family are on that.

message 41: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments The roof burning is what brought down the cathedral at the beginning of Pillars of the Earth, which I just read a few months ago.

So devastating about Notre Dame - although, I was so surprised to learn that it had an oak timbre roof!

Notre Dame was built the century following the fictional cathedral in Pillars. Such an amazing thing, the medieval people did !

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Finished the beautifully-written Beloved. Hoping to get around to one of the long reads here soon but I want to finish the LOTR trilogy first, so I'll probably be looking at sometime in June before I get to the next one on my challenge list.

<1899
Oliver Twist
Little Dorrit

>1900
The Stand
Ulysses
Angela's Ashes

Wild Card Six
The House of Mirth
Beloved
Bel Canto
Cannery Row
On the Road
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Alternates
In Cold Blood

message 43: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

So glad you liked Beloved, since it is on my list this year and must be read before December. You still have some remarkably good reads ahead.

message 44: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Started Bel Canto. Also just started The Stand since it's a huge one and I figure I better get going on it sooner than later!

message 45: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

That's another that has been on my TBR forever. I will be interested in what you think of it.

Sorry to say, I hated The Stand.

message 46: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I have spent most of my reading life avoiding anything written by King. To date I have read four books by King, including The Stand. I also have to admit I liked all four that I have read. That said, I don’t seek out any books written by nor do I own any other than the four I’ve read. It seems foolish, that since I have liked the four I have read I am not a fan of King. I will not be lying on my death bed regretting not reading more of his work. Weird, I know.

As for The Stand, for me it was a super-fast read, don’t worry about its size. You still have some really great reads left on your list, enjoy.

message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Bob wrote: "I have spent most of my reading life avoiding anything written by King. To date I have read four books by King, including The Stand. I also have to admit I liked all four that I have read. That sai..."

It's funny you say that, because I've been guilting myself for not reading more King novels since so many of them are "classics" in the modern sense and I do enjoy his themes in the screen versions of his works that I've seen. I just have found myself drawn to other books instead.
I figured The Stand would be a good summer read. I love post-apocalyptic themes, and I enjoyed the TV mini-series of this story, but I'm not sure if I'll love the book or not. Remains to be seen!
I agree, I think it'll go fast....and yet it is like 1,500 pages and with a couple other thicker books on my list I'm getting a little anxious about meeting my yearly challenges even though I'm making decent progress!

message 48: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Interestingly enough, I don't mind watching a King movie, but I have tried several of his books and I think (for me) they don't deliver enough for the time they consume. Even with post-apocalyptic books I want a deeper theme. I'm not a big fan of the occult/mystical, which almost all of his books include. I do hope the read is a success for you, Emily. I am very much in the minority on this.

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily Dybdahl | 147 comments Sara wrote: "Interestingly enough, I don't mind watching a King movie, but I have tried several of his books and I think (for me) they don't deliver enough for the time they consume. Even with post-apocalyptic ..."

Having read barely any King, it's possible that I may end up in the same boat as you.
I get what you're saying about the occult/mystical. It's interesting, but I think I prefer more of a sci-fi or dystopian vibe, more "realistic" if that word can be applied to fantasy. Maybe it depends on my mood of the day haha.

message 50: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments As someone who read more than 40 works by King in her youth, I'm content with the idea of not reading anything of his that I haven't already experienced. I figure I've devoted enough of my reading lifespan to him already.

« previous 1