Play Book Tag discussion

Member ChallengeTracking 2016-20 > JoAnne's 2019 Year in Books

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Jan 16, 2019 09:14AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments My GR goal for 2019 is going to stay at 125, even though I surpassed it this year(140) health issues kept me home bound this year, which put reading as a main activity, but I am anticipating a better quality of life of 2019.

On PBT I am going to try, really really hard to do all the challenges and read the monthly tag. This group has really diversified my reading and I want that to continue. I figure, if I do a Public Tracking here, it will help me be accountable!

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Dec 30, 2019 07:35AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Trim The TBR Challenge

MY SET IN STONE LIST @ 6/30/19

*(2020) if not called this year

1. The Paper Magician
2. 22 Britannia Rd Buddy Read
3. The Eulogist
4. As Bright as Heaven
5. Avenue of Spies
6. Chalice
7. The Forgotten Beasts of Eld (2020)
8. First Lady of the Confederacy
9. Fall On Your Knees (2020)
10. Heartstone
11 .I am Pilgram
🔒12. Homegoing
13. The Shadow Of The Lion
14. A Spy Among Friends
15. Cinder
16.Every Heart A Doorway
🔒17. River God February
18. The Cost of Courage
🔒19.Ladder to the sky January
20. The Lies of Locke Lamora Buddy Read
21. The Boat People
22. The Black Hand
23. The Fruit of the Drunken Tree
🔒24. The Gray Man
25. The Paris Seamtress
26. 1776
27. Dragonflight
28. These is My Words Buddy Read
29. The Last Watchman of Cairo
🔒30. Walk on Earth a Stranger
31. Those Who Save Us (2020)
32. Of Love and Other Demons
33. Strange The Dreamer-Buddy Read (2020)
🔒34. The Golem and The Jinni Buddy Read
35. The English Wife
36.Vicious

January- #19 A Ladder to the Sky NOT READ
February - #17 River God 530 pages
March- # 34The Golem and the Jinni 486 pages
April- #12 Homegoing-320 pages-fits tag 224 users tag as History
May- # 24 The Gray Man 456 pages(never published in Hard Cover)
June- #30 Walk on Earth a Stranger-436 pages
July- #23 Fruit of the Drunken Tree-304 pages
August- #15 Every Heart a Doorway-178 pages
September- # 3 The Eulogist-320 pages
October-#32 Of Love and Other Demons-160 pages
November- #28 These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901 384 pages
December- 22 Britannia Road-323 pages

message 3: by Joanne (last edited Dec 30, 2019 07:36AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments CULTURAL CHALLENGE

January Iraq The Girl Who Escaped ISIS: This Is My (Story) Tagged by 3 users
February Portugal The High Mountains of Portugal Tagged by 51 users
March Korea The Plotters-Tagged by 11 users
April Italy The House at the Edge of Night Tagged by 64 users
May Brazil The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey Tagged by 7 Users
June Greece The Children of Jocasta tagged by 4 people
July Syria The Map of Salt and Stars tagged by 59 Users
August Australia Shame and the Captives tagged by 17 users
September Egypt Chronicle of a Last Summer: A Novel of Egypt tagged by 8 users
October SpainBy Fire, By Water
November Native American The American Indian: From Colonial Times To The Present
December-substituted Spain The Fountains of Silence

message 4: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 120 comments That Popsugar challenge is tempting! I'm trying so hard not to over-commit this year. I'd lilke to say that I've FINALLY completed a challenge for once. =)

I can't wait to see what books you pick for these!

message 5: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I may put Age of Innocence on my trim the tbr list. If I do I could line it up so we match!

message 6: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7404 comments Joanne wrote: "Becky C wrote: "That Popsugar challenge is tempting! I'm trying so hard not to over-commit this year. I'd lilke to say that I've FINALLY completed a challenge for once. =)

I can't wait to see what..."

Most of us doing multiple challenges double dip. For example, I'm using Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk for PS takes place over a single day, but if it also fits some other challenge or a theme here, I'll slot it in there too.

message 7: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Joanne wrote: "Magdalena wrote: "I may put Age of Innocence on my trim the tbr list. If I do I could line it up so we match!"

Oh, yes! It is one I have wanted to read for a long time, but I am afraid of it-🙄so a..."

I'm a bit afraid of it as well which is why I don't have it on my list at the moment but if I get braver and decide to put it on I'll be sure to put it as number one. I think it would be a great book to read with a buddy!

message 8: by Barbara M (last edited Dec 21, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments I'm surprised to see two on you list that are also on mine since my list is over 1400 and so many of them are old. I have These is My Words and Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm actually putting a lot of my mystery series on the list since I don't get to them very often with the monthly tag.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments Joanne,we only have Invisible Bridge 16 in common. But I just noticed Mistress of Rome. That’s on my TBR too.

message 10: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Joanne wrote: "I am old Barbara(62 in body, 32 in mind)-lol and I only went into the Fantasy Genre about 2 years ago love the older books- and Historical Fiction-I just love it-I will be posting a thread after everyone's number is pulled for Jan. so people can buddy-up-feel free to join me if those 2 come up! Someone else also has Lies of LL at the same number and we will be reading together-do join!..."

I'm older than you Joanne! I'll certainly be joining in if we all have the same number pulled.

message 11: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments Joanne wrote: "Trim The TBR Challenge..."

JoAnne, you're missing #21

message 12: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments let me know when you add it - I am tracking stuff on a spreadsheet.

message 14: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments Looking forward to our reading this year, JoAnne! Some great books on your lists

message 15: by Joanne (last edited Dec 31, 2018 09:04AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Eyeing everyone's 2019 goals and challenges I decided to add a personal one-sticking with the cultural theme-"Around the world with the alphabet " Not so much planned reading, put just slotting in where in the world I go (kinda like "Carmen Sandiago")😁

message 16: by Joanne (last edited Dec 21, 2019 07:14AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Around The World with the Alphabet

A Australia Shame and the Captives-Aug Austria The Lady in Gold: The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer November AlgeriaAn Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943-December
B Brazil The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey-May Bolivia Women Talking September
C Columbia Fruit of the Drunken Tree-July
D
E Ethiopia Cutting for Stone February Egypt The Red Tent February Egypt Chronicle of a Last Summer: A Novel of Egypt September
F France A King's Ransom January, The Dead and Those About to Die: D-Day: The Big Red One at Omaha Beach-July
G Germany The Glassblower February, The Honest Spy August Great Britain(England) Once Upon a River May
Ghana Homegoing April Greece The Children of Jocasta June
I Iraq The Girl Who Escaped ISIS: This Is My Story January- Ireland The Pig Did It January, Italy The House at the Edge of Night April Italy Beneath a Scarlet Sky-June Israel The New Girl-August India The Patient Assassin: A True Tale of Massacre, Revenge, and India's Quest for Independence-September
J Java Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883 September
K Kenya West with the Night-February
L
M Morocco Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival-October
N Newfoundland The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland August Norway Shadow on the Mountain-August
O
P PhilippinesWe Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese-October Prussia/current day Poland Skeletons at the Feast Nov
Q
R Russia City of Thieves November
S South KoreaThe Plotters, March South America Bel Canto-May Syria The Map of Salt and Stars-July Spain By Fire, By Water October Spain The Fountains of Silence
T Tunisia An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943-December
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 17: by Joanne (last edited Dec 30, 2019 07:37AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Today (1/3/2019) I won the raffle for reading in Honor of Jolene!
And so I decided she once again smiled on me, and so I would continue to read Historical Fiction from her TBR list-No chance of reading them all, (There are over 600 !) but I will record what I do read and hope it pleases her. The book I chose for my prize will be one of the first that I read, but first I must finish this first one listed here, which also happens to be on her list yet unread!

A King's Ransom: A NovelJan
The Glassblower-Feb
The Sunne in Splendour May
Chronicle of a Last Summer: A Novel of Egypt Sept
Skeletons at the Feast Nov
22 Britannia Road Dec

message 18: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments How lovely, Joanne - congrats and a great choice of book xx

message 19: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That is a lovely gesture.

message 20: by Viji (new)

Viji | 61 comments Joanne wrote: "January The Girl Who Escaped ISIS: This Is My (Story) Tagged Iraq by 3 people
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Books on my TBR that fi..."

Quite an impressive list, Joanne. Thanks for sharing.

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Viji wrote: "Joanne wrote: "January The Girl Who Escaped ISIS: This Is My (Story) Tagged Iraq by 3 people

Lol Viji-I am already behind.....My#19 for "clear the list" is being held hostage by another Library patron. over ten days late now-
I know I won't finish all these, but it gives me some motivation-And I am actually thinking about discarding Pop Sugar, too many prompts I do not want to do....

message 23: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5568 comments What are you considering for the new additions to your Trim list?

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments NancyJ wrote: "What are you considering for the new additions to your Trim list?"

I am still Hemming and Hawing Nancy-I did replace my # 9 withAll the Pretty Horses, but that is as far as I got. Not going to touch anything I have marked as Buddy read-I may take a look at the other buddy reads, I love doing that

message 25: by Joanne (last edited Dec 30, 2019 07:44AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Decided I should be tracking my personal challenge of reading "older" fantasy. I got bored with the repetition of the newer books a few years back, and set this as a goal...

Magician: Apprentice January Pub. 1982
Taliesin January Pub. 1987
Magician: Master January Pub. 1982
The Mists of Avalon February Pub. 1982
The Farthest Shore March Pub. 1972
Silverthorn April Pub. 1985
Merlin April Pub. 1987
The Magic of Recluce May Pub. 1991
Assassin's Apprentice June Pub. 1995
A Darkness at Sethanon June Pub. 1986
The Sword of Shannara August Pub. 1977
Debt of Bones-August Pub 1998
The Elfstones of Shannara-October Pub. 1982
Sheepfarmer's Daughter-October- Pub. 1988
Royal Assassin-November- Pub. 1995
Assassin's Quest-December-Pub 1997

message 26: by Joanne (last edited Aug 27, 2019 07:25AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments New Challenge(will probably fall over into 2020)-

Read all of Jeff Shaara's works

Gods and Generals-Read June 2019
The Killer Angels-Read June 2018 & June 2019
(Note: This book was written by Micheal Shaara, his father)
Rise to Rebellion: A Novel of the American Revolution-Read July 2019
The Last Full Measure-Read August 2019
The Glorious Cause-Read August 2019

message 27: by Joanne (last edited Dec 21, 2019 07:23AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments Another new one-also flowing over to 2020

WWII books set in countries I have not previously read about during the war.

Shadow on the Mountain- Norway-Aug 2019
Shame and the Captives - Australia-Aug 2019
We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese5]-Philippines-Oct 2019
The Lady in Gold: The Extraordinary Tale of Gustav Klimt's Masterpiece, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer-Austria-Nov 2019
City of Thieves-Russia-Nov 2019
Skeletons at the Feast Prussia/Germany-Nov 2019
An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943-December 2019

message 29: by Joanne (last edited Dec 30, 2019 07:46AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7862 comments It has been a great year of reading for me. My original goal was 125 books, but in November I lowered it to 120, and I should meet that goal or exceed it by the 31st.

I am proud of what I accomplished with the challenges I put on my plate:

Reading for Jolene- I will have knocked 8 books(2 on currently being read) off of her HF TBR shelf. I plan to make this a yearly challenge from here on out.
Around World With The Alphabet I visited 32 countries through my reading. Big thanks to the HORIZONS challenge!
Finish Lingering Series 8 series wrapped up.
Read Older Fantasy 16 books read
Read Jeff Shaara 4 books done
Read about WWII set somewhere new to me 7 books
Fall Flurries Total of 4 books read
Read The PBT TAG 12 months/12 Tags, 25 books
HORIZONS-read 11 countries, 12 books
TRIM-knocked out 11 (missed January)

A Happy Reader, that's me!