Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

What Is Your Favorite Book Of 2018?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3717 comments Mod
Favorite fiction by a writer of color released this year?
Favorite non-fiction by a writer of color released this year?
Best book event (discussion/reading) you attended in 2018?
The one (ok, maybe two) 2019 book(s) you’re most looking forward to reading in the new year?
Any bookish news item or trend that piqued your interest this year?

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 189 comments My favorite fiction this year, hands down, is Freshwater.

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read any nonfiction this year, due to political/social frustration - although podcasts have taken their place, so I haven't thrown in the towel . And come to think of it, I've listened to a lot of interviews with AoC's I would have read.

The 2019 book I'm most looking forward to, again hands down, is Black Leopard, Red Wolf.

Non fiction-wise, I'm just ready to get back in the game for 2019!

message 3: by ColumbusReads (new)

Nadine wrote: "My favorite fiction this year, hands down, is Freshwater.

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read any nonfiction this year, due to political/social frustration - although podca..."

Thanks for this, Nadine.

Early word is the new Marlon James is even better than even the hype, if you can believe that. I have it here but haven’t started it yet.

I read more nf than I’ve ever had before in 2018 and already intend to read more of it in 2019. I’m frustrated, disgusted, disappointed, angry about the political situation now and thought fiction would be my escape from it. However, I’ve been strangely gravitating to nf instead but not necessarily the politics genre. More history, Memoirs, bio’s.

message 4: by ColumbusReads (last edited Dec 18, 2018 09:10AM) (new)

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read any nonfiction this year, due to political/social frustration - although podca..."

This societal malaise and burden that seems to permeate all over, and I’m directly a part of, seems to be bringing me even closer to books. Honestly, if I didn’t have them I would need to be committed.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rigg | 89 comments I read a lot of great books by POC this year, but none of them was published in 2018. I tend to look back at "best books of the year" list from the previous 2-3 years to glean ideas for my "to read" list and am rarely reading anything just released.

message 6: by ColumbusReads (new)

Sarah wrote: "I read a lot of great books by POC this year, but none of them was published in 2018. I tend to look back at "best books of the year" list from the previous 2-3 years to glean ideas for my "to read..."

Sarah, feel free to share any favorite POC you enjoyed this year if you like. I think in previous years members just stipulated “read this year, published prior” or something like that.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rigg | 89 comments Favorite fiction read by POC author: "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng

Favorite nonfiction read by POC author: Probably a tie between "When the Call You a Terrorist" and "Writing My Wrongs: Life, Death, and Redemption in an American Prison" by Shaka Senghor.

message 8: by ColumbusReads (new)

ArtBooksLIfe wrote: "I have a few that are my fav's for the year. The Price of The Ticket by James Baldwin, Just Above my Head by James Baldwin and The Warmth of Other Suns (a re-read) and Invisible Man got the whole w..."

Thanks, Denise. I don’t think Just Above My Head receives the recognition it deserves, to be honest. But, I guess in comparison to his other novels it’s pretty hard to push your way through for attention. I still want to read Beale Street before I see the movie though.

Enjoyed your Afro-lit & Fort Work Art gallery video’s, too!

message 9: by Monica (last edited Dec 18, 2018 02:03PM) (new)

Monica (monicae) | 460 comments For my top fiction AOC (and overall) is Heads of the Colored People. I also enjoyed The Stone Sky, An American Marriage, and Stay with Me.

For nonfiction I agree with ArtBooksLife Invisible Man, Got the Whole World Watching: A Young Black Man's Education was my favorite.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 21 comments Fiction: Jesmyn Ward’s SING, UNBURIED, SING. Published last year but I didn’t read it until this year.

Non-fiction: Zora Neale Hurston’s BARRACOON.

message 12: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2873 comments Mod

Great choices!

message 13: by Beverly (new)

I knew that Columbus was going to ask this question and I was dreading answering it - especially as I thought this was a very good year for books by AOC.

Surprises for me this year was the number of short story collections were some of my top fiction reads and memoirs/essays were my top NF reads - both are genres that I would not count among my favorites until this year.

Favorite Fiction Reads
Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi
Heads of the Colored People by Nafissa Thompson-Spires
Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
There There by Tommy Orange
Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

Favorite Non Fiction Book
When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by Patrisse Khan-Cullors
This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America by Morgan Jerkins
Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower by Brittney Cooper
Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon

Favorite read this year, published previously
When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities by Chen Chen - poetry
Mad Country by Samrat Upadhyay - short stories
Counternarratives by John Keene - short stories
Whereas by Layli Long Soldier - poetry
Kintu by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary | 21 comments I forgot to mention Luis Alberto Urrrea’s HOUSE OF BROKEN ANGELS.

message 15: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 211 comments Following Ms Beverly's lead:

Favorite Fiction Reads
Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
Red Clocks by Leni Zumas
Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

Favorite Non Fiction Book
When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by Patrisse Khan-Cullors
This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America by Morgan Jerkins
Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon
Educated by Tara Westover
I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
Becoming by Michelle Obama

Favorite Graphic Novels/Comic Series
Incognegro: Renaissance #1 by Mat Johnson
The Arab of the Future 3: The Circumcision Years: A Childhood in the Middle East, 1985-1987 by Riad Sattouf (I love the entire series)
The Magic Order #1(the entire series) by Mark Millar soon to be a Netflix series

Favorite reads this year, published previously
Kintu by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
Augustown by Kei Miller
Human Acts by Han Kang

Favorite reads this year, upcoming releases in 2019
House of Stone: A Novel by Nouyo Rosa Tshuma - I read the UK edition, the US edition will be released January 29, 2019
The Night Tiger by Yangze Choo (US release date February 12, 2019)
Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James (read an ARC, US release date is February 5, 2019)

Favorite 2018 Book Cover
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

message 16: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 211 comments Ooops....I forgot the poetry section. Well, I didn't read any released in 2018, but here are my favorites published in previous years:

The Virginia State Colony for Epileptics and Feebleminded: Poems by Molly McCully Brown
Buffalo Dance: The Journey of Yorkby Frank X. Walker
When Winter Come: The Ascension of York by Frank X. Walker

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Mocha Girl wrote: "Following Ms Beverly's lead:

Favorite Fiction Reads
Friday Black ..."

I am anxious to read your 2019 listed books a couple of other 2019 books that I am anxious to read:
American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson
The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr.
The Dragonfly Sea by Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor

message 18: by Mocha Girl (last edited Dec 19, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 211 comments Beverly wrote: "Mocha Girl wrote: "Following Ms Beverly's lead:

Favorite Fiction Reads
[book:Frid..."

Oh yes....and An Orchestra of Minorities by Chigozie Obioma, THICK & Other Essays, The Old Drift, We Cast a Shadow, and so many others....2019 should be a GREAT year!!

message 20: by ColumbusReads (new)

Columbus wrote: "So, so many great books to read come 2019.....l

I heard fantastic things about the Obioma book and We Cast A Shadow.

I also want to read Lot: Stories [author:Bryan Washington|95..."

I received a preview video from Little Brown & Co of Bridgett Davis reading and preparing the audio for her book, also, her on a panel of other writers talking about her mother and her family life growing up in Detroit. So moving.

message 21: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 211 comments Looking forward to book-buddying on some of these!

message 22: by Beverly (new)

Mocha Girl wrote: "Looking forward to book-buddying on some of these!"

YES!

message 23: by Britt McCritt (new)

Britt McCritt (Bantu Book Review) (bantubookreview) | 1 comments Nadine wrote: "My favorite fiction this year, hands down, is Freshwater.

@Nadine Really felt that part about book choice according to political/social frustration. I've been delving into a lot of fiction for exactly that reason. Can "Parable of the Sower/Talents" count for both genres? B/c honestly Octavia Butler was TRULY on to something. These books rocked my world.

message 24: by Markita (new)

Markita Staples (markiestaples) | 1 comments Favorite fiction book this year was Binti. But honestly I've had more luck with non-POC fiction books this year :/

Favorite non-fiction books were Black Fortunes: The Story of the First Six African Americans Who Escaped Slavery and Became Millionaires and Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood

I'm super impulsive about books so no clue what I'm reading next year but I like some of the picks you ladies have here!

message 25: by Jean (last edited Dec 22, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

message 26: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 331 comments Favorite fiction by a writer of color released this year?

Praise Song for the Butterflies by Bernice L. McFadden. Tied with many other favorites but I can't understand the lack of interest the greater market has in McFadden so I'll pick her and hope she gets more readers.

Favorite non-fiction by a writer of color released this year?

Retablos: Stories from a Life Lived Along the Border by Octavio Solis

GREAT NON-FICTION not written this year but read this year:

Native American Fiction: A User's Manual by David Treuer

Losing Our Way: An Intimate Portrait of a Troubled America by Bob Herbert.

Best book event (discussion/reading) you attended in 2018?

I did a panel discussion/reading just after my own novel came out this year, and had the pleasure of meeting Faith Adiele and Devi S. Laskar...wonderful people! Read their work!

The one (ok, maybe two) 2019 book(s) you’re most looking forward to reading in the new year?

The Atlas of Reds and Blues: A Novel by Devi Laskar! It's wonderful! I've read it in ARC and will re-read when I get my hands on the hardcover...a debut author with a searing story to tell.

Any bookish news item or trend that piqued your interest this year?

I'm happy that not a single cover that crossed my path this year had shoes on the cover

message 27: by ColumbusReads (new)

Jean wrote: "My favorites were The House of Erzulie, Heads of the Colored People, Small Country and An American Marriage."

Jean, I looked back over my two favorite fiction books and they were The House of Erzulie and Heads of the Colored People as well.

message 28: by Jean (new)

Jean | 140 comments Columbus wrote: "Jean wrote: "My favorites were The House of Erzulie, Heads of the Colored People, Small Country and An American Marriage."

Jean, I looked back over ..."

I had great year with books by POC, I hope 2019 is as good.

message 29: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 47 comments For 2018, my book club had high recommendations for:

AN AMERICAN MARRIAGE – Tayari Jones
NOT WITHOUT LAUGHTER – Langston Hughes
JUST MERCY: A STORY OF JUSTICE AND REDEMPTION – Bryan Stevenson

My personal favorite – BECOMING – Michelle Obama

For 2019 –

My book club will start the year with

IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK – James Baldwin
BECOMING – Michelle Obama

On my TBR list for 2019

Fiction

LIVES LAID AWAY – Stephen Mack Jones
ON THE COME UP – Angie Thomas
THE LAST THING YOU SURRENDER – Leonard Pitts
THE NICKEL BOYS – Colson Whitehead
SHURI: THE SEARCH FOR BLACK PANTHER – Nnedi Okorafor, Author, Leonardo Romero, Illustrator
THE DEEP – Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, & Jonathan Snipes

Autobiography/Biography/Memoir

THE TRUTHS WE HOLD: AN AMERICAN JOURNEY – Kamala Harris
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO FANNIE DAVIS: MY MOTHER’S LIFE IN THE DETROIT NUMBERS – Bridgett M. Davis
SURVIVAL MATH: NOTES OF AN ALL AMERICAN FAMILY – Mitchell Jackson
WHAT DOESN’T KILL YOU MAKES YOU BLACKER: A MEMOIR IN ESSAYS – Damon Young

Collections/Commentary

BLACK ENOUGH: STORIES OF BEING YOUNG & BLACI IN AMERICA – Ibi Zoboi, Editor; by Tracey Baptiste , Coe Booth, Dhonielle Clayton, Brandy Colbert, Jay Coles , Lamar Giles, Leah Henderson, Justina Ireland, Varian Johnson, Kekla Magoon, Tochi Onyebuchi, Jason Reynolds, Nic Stone,, Liara Tamani, Renée Watson, Rita Williams-Garcia

A PEOPLE’S FUTURE OF THE UNITED STATES: SPECULATIVE FICTION FROM 25 EXTRAORDINARY WRITERS – Victor LaValle and John Joseph Adams, Editors. Featuring stories by Violet Allen • Charlie Jane Anders • Lesley Nneka Arimah • Ashok K. Banker • Tobias S. Buckell • Tananarive Due • Omar El Akkad • Jamie Ford • Maria Dahvana Headley • Hugh Howey • Lizz Huerta• Justina Ireland • N. K. Jemisin • Alice Sola Kim • Seanan McGuire • Sam J. Miller • Daniel José Older • Malka Older • Gabby Rivera • A. Merc Rustad • Kai Cheng Thom • Catherynne M. Valente • Daniel H. Wilson • G. Willow Wilson • Charles Yu

THE MESSAGE: A WORD FROM THE BLACK AMERICA YOU FORGOT – D. Watkins

message 30: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie | 69 comments My favorite novel this year was Like a Mule Bringing Ice Cream to the Sun.

I'd love to list the 2018 and 2019 books published by my press (The House of Erzulie and Tonic and Balm), but I read them both for the first time, in manuscript form, in 2016! Happy to see House of Erzulie on others' lists, though.

I haven't done as much literary reading as I'd like to because I've been doing so my research for my novel in progress, which means I've been reading about pre-revolutionary Russia, the Russian Revolution, the Russian Civil War, Russian emigres in Europe, and Russian folk beliefs. Along with some Russian fairy tales for fun.

message 31: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoriaagutierrez) | 2 comments My favorite published this year was An American Marriage by Tayari Jones.

My favorite that I read is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas.

For 2019, I'll probably still be catching up to my 2018 tbr list. I'm excited to finally get to read Becoming by Michelle Obama and There, There by Tommy Orange.

message 32: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments I have had a very bad year in terms of my health, so I haven’t read as much as usual. My favorite was undoubtedly An American Marriage. Wonderful surprises were Halsey Street by Naima Coster and Whiskey & Ribbons by Lessa Cross-Smith. I thoroughly enjoyed Hollywood Homicide by Kelley Garrett. And although I almost never read romances, The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory was a lot of fun. A bit steamy for me, but fun. I’m looking forward to reading whatever these authors publish next.

In nonfiction I loved Michelle Obama’s Becoming. And this year I’m looking forward to reading Bridgett Davis’ memoir, The World According to Fannie Davis: My Mother’s Life in the Detroit Numbers. And catching up on all of the wonderful books that you all read last year. Here’s to a good 2029!

message 33: by Beverly (new)

Wilhelmina wrote: "I have had a very bad year in terms of my health, so I haven’t read as much as usual. My favorite was undoubtedly An American Marriage. Wonderful surprises were Halsey Street by Naima Coster and Wh..."

Mina -

Wishing you the best of health in 2019.

Nice reading in 2018!

message 34: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments Thanks, Beverly!

message 35: by Ming (new)

Ming | 154 comments better do this before January is over! and before the lunar new year, which starts next Monday!!!

Favorite fiction of 2018

Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao
The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
Brother by David Chariandy

Favorite nonfiction of 2018

The Displaced: Refugee Writers on Refugee Lives edited by Viet Thanh Nguyen
I Can't Date Jesus: Love, Sex, Family, Race, and Other Reasons I've Put My Faith in Beyoncé by Michael Arceneaux

Favorite fiction read in 2018, published earlier

An Untamed State by Roxane Gay

Favorite nonfiction read in 2018, published earlier

You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie
In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui

Bookish Trend/Item
- The increased number of titles by North American authors of color (aoc)
- "AOC" referring to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

message 36: by ColumbusReads (new)

Ming wrote: "better do this before January is over! and before the lunar new year, which starts next Monday!!!

Favorite fiction of 2018

[book:The Poet X|33294..."

Hahahahaha brava AOC

message 37: by Karen Michele (last edited Jan 29, 2019 04:47AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 220 comments Ming wrote: "better do this before January is over! and before the lunar new year, which starts next Monday!!!

Favorite fiction of 2018

The Poet X won two awards at the Youth Media Awards yesterday - the Pura Belpre and the Printz! I'm excited to read it. It's been on hold at the library for a while, so I'm getting close.