Play Book Tag discussion

The Hog's Back Mystery (Inspector French #10)
This topic is about The Hog's Back Mystery
Archive: Other Books > The Hog's Back Mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 382 comments This is a classic mystery from the golden age of crime. One evening Dr Earle, last seen reading the newspaper, appears to have walked out of his house in his slippers and just disappeared. Inspector French of Scotland Yard is sent to the Surrey countryside to solve the mystery.

This is what I would call a technical mystery in that timings and alibis are very important but it isn't as dull as that makes it sound! There are timetables but they come towards the end and there are enough interesting characters to carry it off. I'm delighted to say that I worked out who-dunnit at the 60% mark!

In the usual way I would probably have given this three stars but I've upped it to four because it is set very close to where I live and work so I recognise all the places and the critically important road!

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3012 comments I love these sorts of mysteries when I want something familiar. Also the covers of these books are so pretty I want to own them.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7814 comments Sounds wonderful! Love these mysteries by the gifted writers from the Golden Age of the Detective story.

And to JGrace's comment, the current publisher is doing them proud. The cover art is beautiful and the size a pleasure to hold and read.