Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
This topic is about Throne of Glass
Buddy Reads > Throne of Glass - BR - April 2019

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carlos (new) - added it

Carlos Segura | 12 comments Let's hope I'm doing this right. I've read numerous articles that talk highly of the Throne of Glass series so I figured I eventually need to get to it! The books aren't terribly long so I was thinking going at a couple of books/month pace, we can discuss specifics if anyone decides to join! Please let me know :)

message 2: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Hello Carlos!

Yes, this is fine - we have read this as a group, but if you'd like a fresh chat to avoid spoilers then a buddy read thread is all good. Feel free to also post in the BotM thread when you're finished though, or take a look at what other members thought :D

message 3: by Carlos (new) - added it

Carlos Segura | 12 comments Rinn wrote: "Hello Carlos!

Yes, this is fine - we have read this as a group, but if you'd like a fresh chat to avoid spoilers then a buddy read thread is all good. Feel free to also post in the BotM thread whe..."

I wasn't part of the group back then :( but sounds great, thanks for the advice Rinn!

message 4: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 1 star

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2721 comments Mod
While this wasn’t the worst book I’ve read, it was still pretty bad.

message 5: by Carlos (new) - added it

Carlos Segura | 12 comments Audrey wrote: "While this wasn’t the worst book I’ve read, it was still pretty bad."

I still want to give it a try given the numerous great reviews the series has received...

message 6: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 1 star

It’s very popular among 14-year-old girls. Just be forewarned. :)

Shawnie | 1628 comments I didn't think it was bad. No spoilers, but I did find some YA aspects of book 1 frustrating and eye-rolling. I still enjoyed it enough and continued with the series and am on book 5, Empire of Storms. :)

Emmeline (emeralds0ng) | 162 comments I've popped a reservation for it in at my library. I've loved the cover artworks for this series and it seems like it'll be a fun read, count me in!

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments I've just finished this today actually. I don't see a link to a group read in the discussions, just a buddy read from Jan 2016.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I just remembered I ran the buddy read in the past, which is why I'm getting confused :D Not a group read, but a buddy read as you said.

Emmeline (emeralds0ng) | 162 comments I started it about a week ago. I'm amused by aspects of the writing such as how the physical attractiveness of the characters is mentioned extremely frequently.

Emmeline (emeralds0ng) | 162 comments I finally finished reading this. I didn't like it at first; I rolled my eyes at how often Celaena's inner voice is narrating how pretty she looks right now, or how not pretty she looks right now! But as I read I grew to like it more. I'm unsure if I'll read more of the series. The ending left it fairly straightforward to pick up the next one after a sizeable gap, I think.

It seems to be trying to be too many things. Court intrigue to rival Louis XIV's Versailles. Medieval empire and rebellion. Love quadrangles. Eldritch magic. It's a mish-mash of different inspirations, and I think it doesn't really work, yet with a bit of generous reader buy-in it still manages to rise above that and be really enjoyable!

Shawnie | 1628 comments Emmeline wrote: "I finally finished reading this. I didn't like it at first; I rolled my eyes at how often Celaena's inner voice is narrating how pretty she looks right now, or how not pretty she looks right now! B..."

I enjoyed the later books much more than the first. I had similar annoyed moments with Celaena in book 1! She's very immature.

Shawnie | 1628 comments How far along is everyone in the series? I'm still holding at Book 5 TBR. :)

message 15: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 1 star

I hate Celaena too much to continue. :P

Shawnie | 1628 comments Audrey wrote: "I hate Celaena too much to continue. :P"
LOL I understand! I have characters I feel that way about.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 424 comments I finally started this book a couple of weeks ago and sort of lost interest right away and it fell to the wayside in favor of other books. I was thinking of picking it back up but then read Audreys comment and I’m not so sure! LOL

message 18: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 1 star

Well, if you haven't read a lot of fantasy before and don't mind a Super Special Heroine with lots of guys drooling after her, and you're under 21, then I can recommend it.

I'm very picky of books; getting older does that, I guess.

Hayley | 365 comments Shawnie wrote: "How far along is everyone in the series? I'm still holding at Book 5 TBR. :)"

I'm actually at book 5 too and really enjoyed the series so far! I have to admit though young adult fantasy romances are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine despite being just a "little" over the target age group. I just fine them easy to read after I come home tired from work and don't want to have to engage brain too much!

message 20: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 1 star

That makes sense. I tend to go for some monster killing books when I need to de-stress.

Shawnie | 1628 comments Yes, they are good de-stress, no thinking involved guilty pleasures, and I'm way over the target age. LOL I haven't been that picky but getting a bit more as my reading is slowing down.

Lieke | 40 comments Hayley wrote: "Shawnie wrote: "How far along is everyone in the series? I'm still holding at Book 5 TBR. :)"

I'm actually at book 5 too and really enjoyed the series so far! I have to admit though young adult fa..."

I'm the same Hayley, I have already finished the series and enjoyed it a lot :)