Reading Through the Ages discussion

Victorian Scotland, Ireland, Wales

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
A lot of books set in Victorian Times are very England and even London centric, try to read books set in the other nations.

Some suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share and recommend any books you want to read or have already read.

message 2: by Regina (last edited Dec 29, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Eve's Alexandria) | 26 comments Mod
Regina wrote: "His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae

Set in Scotland in 1869."

I *loved* this book. I think Mel read it recently too.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 1 comments If you want to read something set in Victorian Scotland, I'd highly recommend The Blink of an Eye by Ali Bacon. It looks at the history of early photography in Victorian Scotland and is fantastic!

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Regina wrote: "His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae

I absolutely loved this book!!!

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Katie wrote: "If you want to read something set in Victorian Scotland, I'd highly recommend The Blink of an Eye by Ali Bacon. It looks at the history of early photography in Victorian Scotland and is fantastic!"

Oh, that sounds like my cup of tea!!!

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 10 comments I have had The Wonder by Emma Donahue on my shelf for a few years, so this also qualifies for my “reading from my shelves” personal challenge.

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Yes, I read that too and absolutely loved it.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Jill wrote: "I have had The Wonder by Emma Donahue on my shelf for a few years, so this also qualifies for my “reading from my shelves” personal challenge."

Oh shall add that to the bookshelf, I bet loads of people have that on their shelves.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Leonard wrote: "I have just finished reading Art in the Blood by Bonnie MacBird. It is set in the late 1880's in Paris, London, and Lancashire, and is the first of the author's Sherlock Holmes pastiches. A very en..."

Sounds good

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I'll be reading this Welsh Women's Classic Here Are Lovers.

message 13: by Nic (last edited Jan 13, 2019 03:32PM) (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments Struggling to find anything in my TBR that fits the bill for this one, so may go for buying His Bloody Project.

A rec for the shelf: The Observations by Jane Harris.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Reading this for the prompt, quite harsh, but really intriguing so far.

The Way of All Flesh

image: description

message 15: by Lizzy Siddal (Lizzy’s Literary Life) (last edited Jan 18, 2019 03:28PM) (new)

Lizzy Siddal (Lizzy’s Literary Life) | 21 comments Adding Paul Lynch’s Grace to my read list. Harrowing account of the Irish potato famine by all accounts.

message 16: by Jennie (new)

Jennie (jenniejohnston) | 2 comments I just discovered A Dark and Distant Shore by Reay Tannahill. Has anyone read this? It is huge at over 800 pages but sounds fantastic.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Organdie (organdie) | 3 comments Jennie wrote: "I just discovered A Dark and Distant Shore by Reay Tannahill. Has anyone read this? It is huge at over 800 pages but sounds fantastic."

This is my pick for the prompt too. Mel mentioned it a few times on her youtube channel and it sounds brilliant!

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Emma wrote: "Jennie wrote: "I just discovered A Dark and Distant Shore by Reay Tannahill. Has anyone read this? It is huge at over 800 pages but sounds fantastic."

This is my pick for the prompt too. Mel menti..."

Jennie wrote: "I just discovered A Dark and Distant Shore by Reay Tannahill. Has anyone read this? It is huge at over 800 pages but sounds fantastic."

They are quite epic stories but I love a book like that. It's a bit Gone with the Wind epic, but wonderful to cosy down with.

message 19: by Melanie (last edited May 25, 2019 01:52AM) (new)

I made a recommendation video for this prompt: https://youtu.be/u3fB0qehdHY

message 20: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments I also have The Watchmaker of Filigree Street to read. I hope to add more books to this prompt as my ancestors were from Ireland and Scotland long ago and I enjoy learning more about the times there thru stories. So I have added most all of the other books from suggestions here... Thank you everyone!

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I also have The Watchmaker of Filigree Street to read. I hope to add more books to this prompt as my ancestors were from Ireland and Scotland long ago and I enjoy learning more about the times ther..."
:)

message 22: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I ready How Green Was My Valley which was just beautiful. I loved Huw and his family.