Reading Through the Ages discussion

South America’s Lost Empires (Aztec, Maya)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:56AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Essentially life before European settlers arrived.

Find some inspiration here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Share and recommend any books you may have read

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon This book might be of interest The Incas: A Novel.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Sharon wrote: "This book might be of interest The Incas: A Novel."

Oh thanks, I shall be adding that to the bookshelf.

message 4: by Candace (new)

Candace | 6 comments Two of LJM Owens books may work for this challenge. They are light historical mysteries - Olmec Obituary and Mayan Mendacity. She had an Egyptian book for the Egypt prompt but I digress. I’ve tried to read Gary Jenning’s Aztec three times but it just never latched on. Anyone else had luck reading it and think I should persevere?

message 5: by Layla (new)

Layla | 3 comments This one's a bit (ok maybe a lot) of a stretch, but it's on my bookshelf. It's about the disappearance of a 1925 expedition that goes off searching for the ancient city of El Dorado
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
Maybe a wildcard :)

message 6: by Melanie (new)

I made a video about my TBR options for this prompt:

https://youtu.be/VSh5Fwiup-g

message 7: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) Digging through my tbr I found Heavens on Earth by Carmen Boullosa. Totally forgot that I found this book before, but I'll go find a copy now!
It might fit the bill for those of us looking for latin american authors writing on this subject. The synopsis is a bit vague, but maybe it can also count for the time travel prompt? Or else Americas early settlements...

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Sanne wrote: "Digging through my tbr I found Heavens on Earth by Carmen Boullosa. Totally forgot that I found this book before, but I'll go find a copy now!
It might fit the bill ..."

Excellent :)

message 9: by Melanie (last edited Mar 19, 2019 03:08AM) (new)

One of my viewers told me about this book coming out in August. Happy to wait for this as it sounds amazing.

Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

description

The Mayan God of Death sends a young woman on a harrowing, life-changing journey in this dark fairy tale inspired by Mexican folklore, for readers of The Song of Achilles and Uprooted.

The Jazz Age is in full swing, but Casiopea Tun is too busy cleaning the floors of her wealthy grandfather’s house to listen to any fast tunes. Nevertheless, she dreams of a life far from her dusty small town in southern Mexico. A life she can call her own.

Yet this new life seems as distant as the stars, until the day she finds a curious wooden box in her grandfather’s room. She opens it—and accidentally frees the spirit of the Mayan god of death, who requests her help in recovering his throne from his treacherous brother. Failure will mean Casiopea’s demise, but success could make her dreams come true.

In the company of the strangely alluring god and armed with her wits, Casiopea begins an adventure that will take her on a cross-country odyssey, from the jungles of Yucatán to the bright lights of Mexico City—and deep into the darkness of the Mayan underworld.

message 10: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I think I will wait for Gods of Jade and Shadow, too!

message 11: by Isa (new)

Isa (isoliva) It sounds good.
I'll also get into line.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly | 3 comments Isa wrote: "It sounds good.
I'll also get into line."

I have my pre-order in for this:)

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments Gods of Jade and Shadow sounds fascinating. I will read it too!

message 14: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (moodygrl00) I read Daughter of the Sun for this prompt. I liked it but didn't love it. I feel as if it was about 100 pages too long. I fits the prompt well since it's about the Toltec people. Great story and well written with a strong female lead character, just a bit too wordy for me.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 7 comments I am reading Ines of My Soul by Isabel Allende. It is a fictional account of a Spanish conquistadora named Ines Suarez, who journeyed from Spain to Central America, then Peru, then traveled to Chile and helped build the city of Santiago, Chile. It is told from Ines' perspective, so the story of the indigenous people is not the main story. The Inca, Yanacona and Mapuche are represented. I do not know very much at all about South American history, so I am glad that this prompt led me to this book. Ines Suarez was a real woman, but there is not a lot of information about her.