RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2019 Genre Challenge > January'19 - Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 18, 2018 12:34AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2139 comments Mod
Happy 2019, everyone! Hope this year brings with it a lot of books, happiness and reading time for you all!
At RMFAO we always begin our year with a Science-Fiction month and this year, keeping up with this tradition, we'll be starting 2019 with a month full of amazing science fiction reads, old and new alike.

There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centred around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.
If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.

Here is the DEFINITION for this month's genre:

Science-Fiction: Science fiction (often shortened to sci-fi or scifi) is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life. Science fiction often explores the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations, and has been called a "literature of ideas." It usually eschews the supernatural, and unlike the related genre of fantasy, historically science fiction stories were intended to have at least a faint grounding in science-based fact or theory at the time the story was created, but this connection has become tenuous or non-existent in much of science fiction.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
HB: Hardbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below. Though it is not necessary as you can announce your reads as and when you decide or read them.

PLEASE READ (especially new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre every month.
2. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
3. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
4. You can select different levels every month.
5. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
6. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.
7. You can couple this challenge with any other challenge here (or anywhere else.) We all do it and it makes it all the more fun!

Happy reading!

message 2: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Happy almost January.
I am going to shoot for level 3. All will be e-books.
1) Under Darkness-Jasper T, Scott
2) Emergence - Dayne Edmondson
3) Hunting Nora Stone - Colin Weldon

message 3: by Fran (new)

Fran | 502 comments After all my tedious questions after been answered regarding this genre (thanks all) and searching the catalog of the library for hours, I'm gonna aim for Level 4 for this challenge.

message 4: by Heena (last edited Dec 24, 2018 01:17PM) (new)

I'm going to go for Level-4

1) Seveneves by Neal Stephenson- Audiobook
2) The Memory Tree by John A. Heldt - Ebook
3) Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert - Paperback
4) The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

Will add more to the list once I go through my NetGalley shelf too.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I’d like to get as far as I can in several series for this challenge.

1. The 100 series
2. The Red Rising saga
3. Tower of Glass series

There are quite a few books in these series’, and I’d just like to get as much done as possible, in spite of the busy work month we have planned!

message 6: by Heena (last edited Dec 24, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

I've edited my list to add The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.
Also, I have the first three books in the Shatter Me series, which I was earlier planning to read for Fantasy month this December, but seeing as they are sci-fi too, I might read at least the first one and begin the series for the series challenge.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3203 comments Mod
There is a wealth of Classic Science Fiction books available free in various formats from either Project Gutenberg (written) or LibriVox (audio). No need to list the standard authors like Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, etc. If you're fans of their works and in the mood for them during January's Science Fiction month, just check the listings. Most will be available free.

I was pleasantly surprised to find some works by various authors from the Golden Age of Science Fiction included. (I consider it the 1940s, 1950s and on into the 1960s.) The majority of them could be short stories, but there is still a large selection of novels and novellas. I've chosen a few examples which caught my eye. All of the below also qualify for the Classics Catchup Challenge and if you listen, the Audiobooks Challenge also. This is just a small sample and other suggestions and comments are welcome!

Many of you will be familiar with Philip K. Dick as the author of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which was the basis of the movie Bladerunner.
The Variable Man by Philip K. Dick
Predictability has come a long way. The computers of the future can tell you if you’re going to win a war before you fire a shot. Unfortunately they're predicting perpetual standoff between the Terran and Centaurian Empires. What they need is something unpredictable, what they get is Thomas Cole, a man from the past accidently dragged forward in time. Will he fit their calculations, or is he the random variable that can break the stalemate? – The Variable Man first appeared in the September, 1953 issue of Space Science Fiction magazine. (Summary by Gregg Margarite)
https://librivox.org/the-variable-man... 2:49
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32154

The Time Traders by Andre Norton
If it is possible to conquer space, then perhaps it is also possible to conquer time. At least that was the theory American scientists were exploring in an effort to explain the new sources of knowledge the Russians possessed. Perhaps Russian scientists had discovered how to transport themselves back in time in order to learn long-forgotten secrets of the past.
That was why young Ross Murdock, above average in intelligence but a belligerently independent nonconformist, found himself on a "hush-hush" government project at a secret base in the Arctic. The very qualities that made him a menace in civilized society were valuable traits in a man who must successfully act the part of a merchant trader of the Beaker people during the Bronze Age.
For once they were transferred by time machine to the remote Baltic region where the Russian post was located, Ross and his partner Ashe were swept into a fantastic action-filled adventure involving Russians, superstitious prehistoric men, and the aliens of a lost galactic civilization that demanded every ounce of courage the Americans possessed. [summary taken from gutenberg e-text]
https://librivox.org/the-time-traders... 7:04
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19145

The Aliens by Murray Leinster
The human race was expanding through the galaxy ... and so, they knew, were the Aliens. When two expanding empires meet ... war is inevitable. Or is it ...? (Summary from Gutenberg text)
https://librivox.org/the-aliens-by-mu... 1:20
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24104

The Tunnel Under The World by Frederik Pohl
This famous Pohl story explores cybernetic robots and implanted personalities in a way that certainly expanded my way of looking at reality. Is that wall really real? or is it just kinda, sorta real? And who am I? The protagonist, Guy Burckhardt, wakes up screaming from a horrible dream of explosions, searing fire, choking gas and other terrible ways to die. But he wakes up so it must have been just a bad nightmare, right? To find out that piece of information you will need to listen to this inventive and scary story. (summary by Phil Chenevert)
https://librivox.org/the-tunnel-under... 1:24
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31979

A Trace of Memory by Keith Laumer
Legion was homeless and hungry and looking for a way to get to Miami when he crossed paths with Foster. Foster enlists Legion's aid in dealing with the mysterious light-beings called Hunters who he says have been chasing him, and also in recovering his lost memories. He possesses a journal with entries dating back centuries which contain the only clues to his identity. Their quest involves Stonehenge, alien space ships, far away planets and unique ways of dealing with age and life's memories. - Summary by Nick Bulka
https://librivox.org/a-trace-of-memor... 7:14
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51712

Wandl the Invader by Ray Cummings
There were nine major planets in the Solar System and it was within their boundaries that man first set up interplanetary commerce and began trading with the ancient Martian civilization. And then they discovered a tenth planet--a maverick! This tenth world, if it had an orbit, had a strange one, for it was heading inwards from interstellar space, heading close to the Earth-Mars spaceways, upsetting astronautic calculations and raising turmoil on the two inhabited worlds. But even so none suspected then just how much trouble this new world would make. For it was WANDL THE INVADER and it was no barren planetoid. It was a manned world, manned by minds and monsters and traveling into our system with a purpose beyond that of astronomical accident! - Summary by Original Gutenberg text
https://librivox.org/wandl-the-invade... 5:18
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20859

message 8: by Dagny (new)

For this month, I hope to reach Level 2 (Level 3 if I'm lucky). It will be a mix of Hardbacks, paperbacks and audio.

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I'm going for level 3 but have them already and may start early with one at least.

1- Dawn by Octavia Butler has been on my tbr shelf for a long time and I bought it on kindle. (Science fiction/fantasy)

2- life as we Knew it by Susan Pfeffer, also kindle but borrowed (dystopian YA)

3- Winterfair Gift on audible- by Lois Bujold (kind of space opera)

message 10: by Mary J Starry (new)

Mary J Starry | 3 comments I love science fiction. Wish some of my favorite series had their next book coming out this month. I'm going for Level 2.

message 11: by Arno (new)

Arno I'm trying to reach at least level 2.

1. Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert
2. The Dying Earth by Jack Vance

If I find the time I will also try to read Children of Dune by Frank Herbert en finish his Dune series.

message 12: by Abbie (last edited Jan 26, 2019 10:50AM) (new)

Abbie Will try : Level 1: Casual Reader: 1-2 books (easy)
1. The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories 1/6
2.Here & There 1/26

The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu Here & There by Joshua V. Scher

message 13: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (larissaslibrary) Looking over my list of books I'm reading in January, I am probably only going to be at level 1 with Warcross.

message 14: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments I am going with Level 5 .
I love sci-fi but have other challenges this month so five will be tough. All will be e-books but not sure what titles...

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 8 comments I am going to attempt Level 4. This is subject to change as there are other books that may creep in instead. I'll update here if that's the case.
1. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - E-book
& Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, in Paperback
2. The Reality Dysfunction
3. The Neutronium Alchemist
4. The Naked God

message 16: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "There is a wealth of Classic Science Fiction books available free in various formats from either Project Gutenberg (written) or LibriVox (audio). No need to list the standard authors like Jules Ver..."

Thanks for these excellent recommendations, Dagny!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be aiming for level 3 and all are ebooks

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Samah wrote: "I will be aiming for level 3 and all are ebooks"

to read
-legend trilogy

message 19: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 3 comments I’m involved in other reading groups so for this one I’m going to commit to level 1, and maybe get to level 2. One of Orion Scott Card’s, not sure which one. PB

message 20: by Heena (new)

I have added a couple of other books to my list, so here is my updated list:

1) Seveneves by Neal Stephenson- Audiobook
2) The Memory Tree by John A. Heldt - Ebook
3) Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert - Paperback - not sure about this as I am not able to find this book (I guess it's packed in one of the boxes I left unopened when we shifted our place last year.) I'll read it if I can find it.
4) The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
5) Renegades by Marissa Meyer

message 21: by Dagny (new)

I originally planned to go for Level 2 or 3, but it looks like I'll make more than that.

Already checked Code out from my local library.
Plan to also read Terminal (they don't have the 4th book and no time to order it)

Nemesis

So there's three and will probably add a couple of the old sf classics.

message 22: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 51 comments Hi, I am going to commit to a level 2 as this is my first challenge. I will be reading a paperback version of Ready Player One today. And I will be reading Cinder for a book club as well. I need to determine if I already have the Kindle version of that or if I need to get to the library to get it. After that, we will see.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Hi, I am going to commit to a level 2 as this is my first challenge. I will be reading a paperback version of Ready Player One today. "

Oh, good, you've already found this Challenge, Carolyn. Ready Player One was a Buddy Read last year for this Challenge. Please feel free to read the thread and comment after you're finished with the book. I didn't have it in time for that and just got around to reading and commenting on it last month - it's never too late for a bit of discussion.

message 24: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 51 comments Question, This is a January challenge, but I actually started Ready Player One yesterday. Can I still count it? I would have waited the day, but looking for new groups was my activity this morning?

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Question, This is a January challenge, but I actually started Ready Player One yesterday. Can I still count it?"

Heena is very lenient with us on all these Challenges, so I would say that if you're reading more than half of it in 2019, go ahead and count it.

I confess that I began Code (Virals #3) by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs last night.

message 26: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments Happy 2019. Enjoy the reading. I started Under Darkness by Jasper Scott.

message 27: by Bee (new)

Bee (beeisreading) I was looking forward to this month, sci-fi is one of my favorite genres! I'll be reading...

1. The Measurements of Decay by K. K. Edin
2. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
3. The Oracle Year by Charles Soule
4. Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente
5. Solaris by Stanisław Lem

message 28: by Shashank (new)

Shashank Gupta (shashank-gupta-102) | 23 comments I'm aiming for Level 2
1. Seeker by Douglas E. Richards
2. Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
3. Virals
I saw someone here reading the last book of Virals. The plot is interesting, hence added to my list

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Bailey wrote: "I was looking forward to this month, sci-fi is one of my favorite genres! I'll be reading...
2. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch."

I really enjoyed Dark Matter.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

Shashank wrote: "I'm aiming for Level 2
3. Virals
I saw someone here reading the last book of Virals. The plot is interesting, hence added to my list"

I read Virals a while back and it was fascinating - enjoyed the characters and the writing. I'm on book 3 now and will go on to 5 next. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the ones I missed at some point.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1910 comments Mod
1.) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
3 stars. More of a thriller, with a SF concept. A very quick, entertaining read.

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "1.) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
3 stars. More of a thriller, with a SF concept. A very quick, entertaining read."

Already finished! I think I read it pretty fast too, it really pulls you along.

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1910 comments Mod
Dagny wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "1.) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch"
Already finished! I think I read it pretty fast too, it really pulls you along.  "

This would make a great movie.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (readertheatrics) | 2 comments Hey! I would like to join this challenge. I don't usually read SciFi books, so this will be interesting. Can you guys give me some suggestions? Please

message 35: by Christina (new)

Christina Byrne (cmbyrne87) | 12 comments I'm starting off with 1 book because I'm a newbie. :P
I'm going to read Ender's Game. It is an audiobook.

message 36: by Heena (new)

Started with The Gods Themselves by Issac Asimov.

Mirielen de Arantes Corrêa (mirielenarantes) I'm going to read Mostly Harmless, in e-book, just because Douglas Adams is a genius!

message 38: by Andrew (last edited Jan 03, 2019 02:19PM) (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments I've been away for a long time and this looks a great month to come back. I'd like to reach at least the level 5 with these books:

1) Cibola Burn
2) Nemesis Games
3) A Fire Upon the Deep
4) Babylon's Ashes
7) The Tar-Aiym Krang
6) Bloodhype

message 39: by Shashank (new)

Shashank Gupta (shashank-gupta-102) | 23 comments Cheryl wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "1.) Dark Matter by Blake Crouch"
Already finished! I think I read it pretty fast too, it really pulls you along.  "

This would make a great movie."

I agree. In fact, It's a little long. Split in two parts, around the time they start discovering new places will make a hit I guess, Maybe. :)

message 40: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Finished Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1) by Octavia E. Butler and it as good (started early) but also sadder and less hopeful than I like my dystopian fiction to be. Not sure I'll continue the trilogy.

message 41: by Fran (new)

Fran | 502 comments Yippee, the first book of the year, or rather audio. Not So Normal Norbert by James Patterson and Joey Green. It was a creative retake of 1984 (mixed with The 100). Great funny read for adults or middle schoolers.

message 42: by 〰️Beth〰️ (last edited Jan 13, 2019 09:35AM) (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments 📚January RMFAO SciFi 📚
Attempting Level 5...catching up on reading some series
👽 COMPLETED 5/5 👽
✔️1. Through The Fire and Flame E-book 🔸1/4/19
✔️2. Crescendo Of Fire E-book 🔸 1/7/19
✔️3. Rhapsody For The Tempest E-book 🔸 1/7/201
✔️4.All’s Fair in Blood and War E-book🔸1/9/19
✔️5. i2 by James Bannon E-book 🔸 1/9/19
Through The Fire and Flame (The Kurtherian Endgame, #3) by Michael Anderle Crescendo Of Fire (The Braintrust, #2) by Marc Stiegler Rhapsody For The Tempest (The Braintrust, #3) by Marc Stiegler All’s Fair in Blood and War (The Kurtherian Endgame, #4) by Michael Anderle i2 by James Bannon

message 43: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (ToriTheShark) | 11 comments So far Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

message 44: by Mere (new)

Mere (loreofthebooks) Sci-Fi is definitely not my genre, so I'm going to check out some of the books y'all are reading and see if anything catches my eye. I'm probably only going to hit level one this month.

message 45: by Adelaide (last edited Jan 03, 2019 04:46PM) (new)

Adelaide Blair | 363 comments Sarah wrote: "Hey! I would like to join this challenge. I don't usually read SciFi books, so this will be interesting. Can you guys give me some suggestions? Please"

Here are some books I have read in the last couple of years that are pretty accessible for sci fi newbies. Hope you find something here you enjoy!

First in a series:
The Collapsing Empire
Binti
All Systems Red
Hunger Makes the Wolf

Standalone novels:
Company Town
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
The Martian

message 46: by 〰️Beth〰️ (last edited Jan 03, 2019 06:14PM) (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 135 comments Mere
If you are looking for a humorous read I would suggest The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

It is by no means hard core sci fi but is certainly different. It is one of the books that lead me into more hard core science fiction. Think of it as an odd ball gateway drug to the sci fi space operas.

If anyone is into military fiction you might want to check out Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos. It is set in the near future where socioeconomic issues are so bad people are hoping to train in a defensive unit either on earth or in space. It also has a little romance involving the two main characters that meet as cadets.

There is also Death Becomes Her by Michael Anderle. This is the first in a long series. If you like paranormal you might like this. The premise is that Vampires and Werewolves are actuall created by diffent fractions of an alien race and ultimately the heroine is going to space to stop them from invading.

message 47: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments 1) The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams. Science fiction in the loosest sense of the genre. But I am counting it.

message 48: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Bonnie wrote: "I'm going for level 3 but have them already and may start early with one at least.

1- Dawn by Octavia Butler has been on my tbr shelf for a long time and I bought it on kindle. (Science fiction/f..."

Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer was good but truly YA fiction (and not regular but no sex) in it's depth of the thinking/feelings of the MC and her relationships.

message 49: by Dagny (new)

Adelaide wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hey! I would like to join this challenge. I don't usually read SciFi books, so this will be interesting. Can you guys give me some suggestions? Please"

Adelaide suggested The Martian "

Definitely! Just about everyone here who has read it really enjoyed The Martian.

message 50: by Dagny (new)

1. Code (Virals #3) by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs

Interesting. One rather boring part, but otherwise a lot of fun. Cliff-hangers which were seemingly resolved and then ... oops, onward to more danger.

« previous 1 3