The Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3) The Doors of Stone discussion

Chill the fuck out

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erik (new) - added it

Erik Dean I've read a lot of nasty reviews for a book that hasn't even been published yet and its bat shit crazy to see people literally giving a book a 1 star rating before it even comes out. Are you trying to make a statement b/c the fact that your even leaving a review means that you are a fan that decided to vent your fury by literally crippling a rating before the book even comes out. Did you think that writing a novel is the same as putting in your hours at your 9-5 job. Is there an algorithm for how long an author should spend writting his book? If Tolken took 17 years to write the LOTR trilogy should all other authors be expected to meet the same time timeline? Have you read Rothfuss's books more than once? Did you not notice the amount of detail he put into them? The man is a perfectionist. He wont release the next book until is ready so chill the fuck out and read something else.

message 2: by Joshua (new)

Joshua I notice you are not complaining about the 5 star ratings on a book thats never coming out.

message 3: by Erik (new) - added it

Erik Dean No that's stupid too

message 4: by Afshin (new) - added it

Afshin Erik wrote: "I've read a lot of nasty reviews for a book that hasn't even been published yet and its bat shit crazy to see people literally giving a book a 1 star rating before it even comes out. Are you trying..."
I have a slightly more informative estimation of the release date that yours ("when he's ready"):
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Rocio (new) - added it

Rocio Sparrow I would have love to give a review for this book after having read it but since this does not seem to be happening....xdd

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven Witmer That's as may be, but it's been now 8 years since the 2nd book was published, you'd think by now there'd at least be a prospective date...or at least a prospective year...of publication for the final book.

As for your comment on Tolkien, sure it took him 14 years to write LOTR, but they were not published until Tolkien was done writing the story and then the volumes were released over the course of about 16 months. In other words, Tolkien's fans were left hanging for for only seven or eight months between releases, not seven or eight (or nine, or ten...) years between releases.

I'm not generally one for bashing authors for the speed of their work, but on the other hand, I don't think it's unreasonable for a reader to hope that a favorite author keep their releases within a series to within, oh, a decade or so from the previous book in the series, and an author can hardly fault fans for frustration when they get hooked into a series (or trilogy, or what have you) only to find that they're likely to wait a decade or more for the next installment. It apparently took 15 years for Rothfuss to write Name of the Wind, but one would hope that in that 15 years he'd developed the story structure and significant plot points for the overall story arc, meaning that the third book shouldn't take as long as the first because most of the heavy lifting on developing the story universe, major characters and story arc has already been done. If you account for the first 15 years developing the first book, that it's taken 27 years at this point to write the trilogy *so far*, with no end in sight as of right now.

message 7: by Rocio (last edited Dec 29, 2019 01:37PM) (new) - added it

Rocio Sparrow https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007... that's the only thing I complain about. You want to take 50 years to write a trilogy, fine by me...but don't tell lies in order to sell it to the public and make money out of it if you don't intend to keep these promises.
Authors shouldn't public their series until they are done with them, period. Because otherwise the take the piss out of it. If the book is very sucessful they want to make more and more money, they start selling their fantasy world to the TV, they engange in other projects and, in the end, they don't deliver the books which is disrespectful to the fans. The fans have invested in the product, they have put the money forward in an act of trust because they wanted to see the story ended, and then they get nothing in return but the author gets plenty of money, recognision and invitations to cool projects and events thanks to that initial investment from the fans. They deserve something in return. They deserve at least to see that the author cares about the project, that he is working on it. Last time Rothfuss spoke about the third book was 2 years ago and he didn't say much. Just some bullshit about not being able to write due to Trump having been elected president.

Leonardo De sousa cordeiro "When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. But after a year excitement begins to sour."

-Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, Ch. 12

message 9: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen Erik wrote: "I've read a lot of nasty reviews for a book that hasn't even been published yet and its bat shit crazy to see people literally giving a book a 1 star rating before it even comes out..."

Even though I am against giving any stars for books that hasn't been published yet - in my mind all reviews of books that are published before the publishing date - unless you can prove it's an ARC - should be automatically deleted, I have to say that I found a lot of comfort and solace from the "nasty reviews".

Every now and then authors don't get their crap together. It's just human.
BUT if you have promised a trilogy to your readers and told them it's just editing left, and you cannot edit it yourself, then you hire someone to edit it.
Then you bite the sour apple and keep your promise and put the book out there, even when you are not totally satisfied with it. Then you will gag your inner editor, put together an OK book, not a perfect book, and send it to your publisher, and accept that done is better than perfect.

Because if he keeps filing and polishing his work, it will be like with the mouse and cat's fabric - you know
"will this make a coat?" "Yes."
"Where is my coat?" "It won't make a coat. Perhaps a vest." "Ok".
"Where's my vest?" "It won't make a vest. Perhaps a pouch." "Ok."
"Where is my pouch?" "It didn't make a pouch. It won't make anything." "Ok."
A couple of years ago, he had a version worth 3,5 stars. Next time we heard of it, it was 1,5 stars. He keeps polishing it, and next time we hear of it... we won't hear of it, because he burned the damned thing, and has moved on to other things, because he has started hating the book, the story and the characters.

I'm pretty certain Patrick Rothfuss is able to write good books, but there's a lot of people out there who are, and I'm not keeping a space open for a book that won't come out. You see, what ever he is, he won't live forever. What if he dies tomorrow and never gets the book in a shape he's satisfied with? Like Robert Jordan?
Are we going to have a situation where his son (daughter, spouse, friend, dog, grandmother...) goes through his waste basket to put together "books" of unfinished tales, lost tales and other writings?

It's one thing of a person "not being someone's bitch" and one thing totally to keep one's promise. No-one was asking him to promise anything. He did it all by himself. Now, apparently, he cannot deliver. The audience, the readers, the people to whom he made the promise, has the right to complain. He has broken his word, and it won't be mended until he gives us the book. The broken trust is harder to mend.

And when it comes to taking one's time writing books - it shouldn't take more than what it took to write the first book and the second book. Four years between 1 and 2. He has had four years, twice over.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Other authors will provide updates etc.....

This guy refuses to say anything.... (which just ticks people off to say the least)

I hope the third book will be released, but I am not sure....

message 11: by Claire (last edited Jan 22, 2020 10:10PM) (new) - added it

Claire Kreutzberger Steven wrote: "That's as may be, but it's been now 8 years since the 2nd book was published, you'd think by now there'd at least be a prospective date...or at least a prospective year...of publication for the fin..."
Regarding the Tolkien analogy : Somehow the author appears as greedy, when in fact it is the publisher who should have waited.
But things don't work that way, unfortunately. Like everything else, this is a business.
It seems to me that publishers do not, as a rule, take a chance on a whole series that would cost them a lot of money. Instead, they try their luck with a first installment, and see if it sells OK before signing the author for the rest of the story.

That being said, I totally agree with you regarding the whole narrative arc. And clearly, the fact that we are still waiting on book 3 (gosh, I checked again. Your comment is more that 6 months old already...) tends to prove that the whole thinking process/establishing the main plot points for book 3 was still ongoing at the time when book 2 got published.
This doesn't bode well. And I'm really not convinced that book 3 would be the end of the story.

message 12: by Ang (new) - added it

Ang My god some people really die on this hill aye... One star review for a book taking longer than they expected to be written.