Play Book Tag discussion

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
December 2018: Geek Reads > Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 6332 comments My only geek read, and persuaded by Amy et al. to read as a buddy read, I found this hard to rate. A collection of short essays covering the basics of astrophysics for non-scientists, it is often funny, effectively using the everyday to make it all comfortable for the reader, and reads quickly and easily. And yet...

I was not wowed. I have no burning desire to read more about the cosmos. I am not rushing down the street to the NYC Planetarium to watch the latest film and check the latest exhibits. And I absolutely have not been bitten by a desire to read any Sci-fi using astrophysics and the cosmos in its storytelling.

Thus, it gets a mediocre rating from me. I do think it might have had a different impact as an audiobook, but as NYPL hold #319, I was not going to wait. As I read, I could hear it in my head, even visualize it. Perhaps I will hear Tyson present some time. Oh and I did really enjoy the chapter about the Periodic Table chemicals that owe their existance to astrophysics. That's just super cool!

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7252 comments I was not wowed. I have no burning desire to read more about the cosmos. I am not rushing down the street to the NYC Planetarium to watch the latest film and check the latest exhibits. And I absolutely have not been bitten by a desire to read any Sci-fi using astrophysics and the cosmos in its storytelling.

This made me chuckle Theresa! I just pictured you on a busy walk-way pushing pedestrians out of the way 😂

Theresa | 6332 comments Joanne wrote: "I was not wowed. I have no burning desire to read more about the cosmos. I am not rushing down the street to the NYC Planetarium to watch the latest film and check the latest exhibits. And I absolu..."

You mean like I do on a normal day?! 🤣🤣🤣 Not!
Yeah, thag would be pretty funny!

Theresa | 6332 comments It's the Christmas Comet! At least until Dec. 22.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/17/677342...

Theresa | 6332 comments I can't believe how many times some subject has come up lately that pulls in the knowledge gleaned from reading this book! Everything from the turquoise sky over NYC when something happened at the Astoria, Queens Con Ed site (electrical arc caused by aluminum burning hotter than the sun and the equipment that contains it failing) to asteroids hitting Uranus.

Imay need to bump up my rating!