Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > What are your top 3 books of the year??

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Amelia Westlake

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

To Kill a Kingdom

All absolutely fantastic books that I read so quickly because they were amazing!

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 55 comments Tempests and Slaughter. I've been anticipating its publication for years and years and it was such a treat to read.

I Stop Somewhere - a really powerful look at rape culture.

For the third, I'm torn between two: Bandit: A Daughter's Memoir and A Court of Mist and Fury.

I can't wait to see what other people have to say! Could find some great books!

message 4: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments Mockingbird by Walter Tevis Mockingbird

The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch The Gone World

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1) by Richard K. Morgan Altered Carbon

I found these three books to be classics of modern and contemporary science-fiction, conceptually unique, mind-blowing examples of genius.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 632 comments -Godsgrave (Jay Kristoff)
-The Defiant (Lesley Livingston)
-I can't choose a third one. There were a few other great books that have earned that spot, such as Winter (Marissa Meyer), Hero at the Fall (Alwyn Hamilton) and the Illuminae Files.

message 8: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments I'm gonna do four because even narrowing it down that much was way too hard lol

Bingo Love by Tee Franklin Beauty Queens by Libba Bray The Adventure Zone Here There Be Gerblins by Clint McElroy The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2) by Mackenzi Lee

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 392 comments Into the Drowning Deep, The Name of the Wind, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. A top ten is already hard, this one was heartbreaking.

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Quesada (booksbymyshelf) Only 3...
1. On the shortness of Life by Seneca.
2. Dear Ijeawele or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
3. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

message 11: by Anna (last edited Dec 18, 2018 07:47AM) (new)

Anna | 1 comments If I had to pick 3...

1. Vicious by V.E. Schwab
2. Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
3. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
(^ These are in no particular order - I love them all.)

(Honorable mentions: Turtles All The Way Down, Crown of Midnight, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.)

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Skyward by Brandon Sanderson

This was a little heart breaking to figure out, but I feel these three deserve it the most

message 13: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta Okay, I've managed to create a top 10 with relative ease:
(view spoiler)

But to narrow it down to 3...? Oh, that's tough.

Into the Drowning Deep has to be on there, that book just made me so so happy. Wives and Daughters was a fantastic reading experience. And then Circe is an amazing beautifully written myth retelling and the physical book is gorgeous too. But... but that's all 3 spots and there are so many more I love! 😭

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia | 116 comments Didn't read too many books this year... lots of movie companions, really, but here are my top three:

The Name of the Wind

The Wise Man's Fear

The Princess Bride

message 18: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments The Next Person You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom , A Thousand Beginnings and Endings by Ellen Oh , Princesses Behaving Badly Real Stories from History—without the Fairy-Tale Endings by Linda Rodríguez McRobbie

message 19: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments Mariana wrote: "Only 3...
1. On the shortness of Life by Seneca.
2. Dear Ijeawele or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
3. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch"

Dark Matter is a phenomenal novel. I wholeheartedly agree.

message 20: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah | 88 comments Ernesto wrote: "Only 3? It's very difficult
I chose 4

Lolita
Últimos testigos
Ready Player One
The Fellowship of the Ring"

Lolita is tremendous and I've read it about four times over the years. It is painful and dark yet written extremely well and with so much truth.

It takes a special person to recognize the intrinsic worth of The Fellowship of the Ring, which included a lot left out in the films and wasn't most "exciting" of the LOTR trilogy. I read this novel about ten times when I was in my later teen years.

message 21: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 427 comments Muse of Nightmares, by Laini Taylor
Vengeful, by V. E. Schwab
Lethal White, by "Robert Galbraith"

message 22: by Elisa (new)

Elisa (elisabookishexpat) | 1 comments Godsgrave

City of Brass

The Queens of Innis Lear

message 23: by Aneeza (last edited Dec 20, 2018 02:16AM) (new)

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments This is actually really hard to choose...but I'm going to go with.

Immortal Reign by Morgan Rhodes
Full Tilt by Emma Scott
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas!

Honorable mentions:
The Heartbeats of Wing Jones by Katherine Webber (This has become one of my new favorite books this year!)
It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover.
Bleach Volumes 1-3 by Tite Kubo
Naruto Volumes 1-3 by Masashi Kishimoto (It will be editing to however many volumes I read this year.)

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments Julia wrote: "Didn't read too many books this year... lots of movie companions, really, but here are my top three:

The Name of the Wind

The Wise Man's Fear

[book:The Princess Brid..."

That was literally my list from 2015!

message 26: by Julia (new)

Julia | 116 comments Jess wrote: "Julia wrote: "Didn't read too many..."

😁 I'm always behind on the times... and it was a re-read for me for The Princess Bride, but I really loved them all!

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments Julia wrote: "Jess wrote: "Julia wrote: "Didn't read too many..."

😁 I'm always behind on the times... and it was a re-read for me for The Princess Bride, but I really loved them all!"

Oh me too. Most of those books were old when I read them too. I'm only just now reading my first 2018 release of the year!

message 28: by Janine (new)

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3) by Amie Kaufman Cottage by the Sea by Debbie Macomber

This was difficult because I honestly didn't read that many books that truly stuck with me this year.

message 30: by Htet (new)

Htet (dreaminginaseaofwords) | 4 comments Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to just three.

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2) by Seanan McGuire And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

message 31: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments I can't choose three : (

Bag of Bones- Stephen King
Heart Shaped Box- Joe Hill
One Punch Man-ONE (vol 1-4, need to read the rest)
Giant Days- John Allison (vol 1-6, need to read the rest)
Milk & Honey- Rupi Kaur
The Red Pencil- Andrea Davis Pinkney

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #1) by Theodora Goss
Competence (Custard Protocol, #3) by Gail Carriger
Murder Most Unladylike A Wells & Wong Mystery (Wells & Wong Mystery, #1) by Robin Stevens

Two of them I read this year but did not come out this year- Competence was this year.

message 35: by Gary (new)

Gary I read a lot this year, but I have picked out three favorites;

50 Great Short Stories edited by Crane
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Lerox
The Weary Blues by Langston Hughs

message 38: by beni (last edited Dec 21, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

beni (wexibur) | 102 comments 1. Everything, Everything
2. The Scorpio Races
3. Divergent
(1 and 2 are equal, and 3 is the series)

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen  (kiwicanread) | 60 comments 1. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 2. The Giver by Lois Lowry 3. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery 4. Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi 5. The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

I cheated. My top 5.

message 40: by Lora (on hiatus) (last edited Dec 22, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

message 41: by Hita (new)

Hita | 10 comments 1) Queen of Air and Darkness
2) Kingdom of Ash
3) Thunderbird

message 42: by Steph (new)

Steph L (thetheatergeek) | 7 comments 1- White Hot Greif Parade -Alexandra Silber
2- Heart of Iron -Ashley Poston
3- The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy

message 43: by Puck (new)

Puck (puckk) the raven cycle
thunderhead
queen of air and darkness

message 44: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 55 comments I might have to change mine. For Christmas, my best friend gave me a copy of Jane Austen's Emma, printed roughly 100 years ago, embossed and dedicated to a girl who evidently attended the school we went to. There's no way this could be anything but my book of the year!

message 45: by Ernesto (new)

Ernesto Alvarado (ernestoalvarado) | 23 comments Rachel Adiyah wrote: "Ernesto wrote: "Only 3? It's very difficult
I chose 4

Lolita
Últimos testigos
Ready Player One
The Fellowship of the Ring"

Lolita is tremendo..."

I totally agree with you about Lolita. "Painful" is the right word to describe the story and you could see this since 1th paragraph:

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

Excellent Book!

message 46: by S61, Creator/Chief Moderator (new)

S61 (kingdombooks) | 248 comments Mod
And then there were none
Warcross
Simon vs the Homo sapiens agenda

message 47: by Iraya (new)

Iraya (goodreadscomirayasa) | 41 comments The Poppy War

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

The Name of the Wind

Nevernight/ Godsgrave

Oh man I’ve read a lot of amazing books this year, really hard to choose.

message 48: by Steph (new)

Steph L (thetheatergeek) | 7 comments Sean wrote: "And then there were none
Warcross
Simon vs the Homo sapiens agenda"

Warcross and Simon are so good!!!!

message 49: by QueenAgain (new)

QueenAgain | 29 comments First of all, I'm so happy to see Warcross on ppl's favorites (big fan)
Second of all, my books were The Cruel Prince, The Raven Boys, and Rebels of the Sand

message 50: by Katie.dorny (new)

Katie.dorny (katiedorny) | 35 comments 1) Lumberjanes series
2) Rebel of the sands trilogy
3) Six of crows

I always read books years after they come out 😂 I’m always behind

« previous 1