PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [General] > Nominate books for February - Poetry, Colors, Flowers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 17, 2019 03:21PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Nominate books for group reads in February 2019 - Yellow sunflowers, Red Roses
- Poetry books (traditional, haikus, limericks, avant-garde, beat, childrens)
- books with COLORS/FLOWERS in the title or theme

Book ideas:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...
https://bookriot.com/2018/04/01/books...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

We will read ONE poetry book, and ONE book with flowers/colors in the title/theme:

SUMMARY OF NOMINATIONS

Poetry:
Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash - 3

Books with colors/flowers in the title or theme:
The Orchid Thief: A True Story of Beauty and Obsession - 1
Between Shades of Gray - 1
Red Mars - 1
Half of a Yellow Sun - 1
Blood Red Road - 1
Flowers for Algernon - 1
Dandelion Wine - 2

Post below to add a nomination or second any of these!

message 3: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 08, 2019 05:04PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

Even Willy Wonka quoted Ogden Nash

Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash

For those who find it hard to grasp poetry, this is a great book to start with. When I ask people to recite their favourite poem often it's one of these.

Tell me, O Octopus I begs
Are those things arms or are they legs?
I marvel at thee, Octopus.
If I were thou, I'd call me 'us'.

A turtle lives twixt platted decks
Which carefully conceal its sex
I think it clever of the turtle
In a fix to be so fertile.

The trouble with a kitten is that
Eventually it becomes a cat

message 4: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 09, 2019 08:28AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments The biggest problem with the choices and genres for this month is that there are far, far too many. It's like going to your Nan's house and thinking, I'll take a sweet from the sweety jar and then finding out they're all stuck together in a lump. It would have been better just to be just poetry I think. I'm also really confused as to why flowers, colours, and children entered this at all. Poetry has nothing to do with flowers or colours and we're all adults here.

I would think Philip Larkin should appeal to anyone.

Beat poetry and avant-garde are another story entirely, not your usual poetry, per se.

I have a wealth of works by the Beat poets.

In another thread perhaps, we should start with On the Road by Jack Kerouac

message 5: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Unless you intended this a thread for 'flowers' and we put poetry somewhere else?

message 6: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments I love all your poetry suggestions, Jazzy!

February's theme is broader than only poetry, to appeal to as many members as we can, as not everyone may want to read poetry..

We can have multiple group reads for that month! So everyone please keep the suggestions coming for POETRY, or books w/ FLOWERS, or books with COLORS or any combination!

message 7: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 09, 2019 11:43AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments What about everyone who doesn't want to read fantasy, games, or retellings, etc? I don't see a lot of other suggestions with totally different genres on those months. hmm!

Ray Bradbury said everyone should read poetry every day. Surely everyone loves Ray Bradbury.

I would like campaign for a month with ONLY poetry!

And Beat poetry is quite different as well, it deserves its own month sometime too. :)

message 8: by Jazzy (last edited Jan 09, 2019 11:52AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I will have to explain, growing up we had to memorise a poem a week, and recite it from memory, as well as write poems fairly regularly. As I grew into an adult, I still read poetry almost every day, I write a lot of really bad poetry - no less than one a day for several years, and I feel it to be an important part of life and that a lot of culture is being lost and cast aside without it. The rappers are the new poets. One lives downstairs and I hear his recitation over and over until he can patter out great swaths of verse by memory. Rap isn't my thing, but poetry is, so i can appreciate that.

message 9: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 17, 2019 03:19PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Last chance to nominate for February Group Reads!!!

We will read ONE poetry book, and ONE book with flowers/colors in the title/theme:

See the top message in this thread for a summary of nominations so far, and post below to add a nomination or second any of these!

message 10: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments I'd love to second Dandelion Wine, as I intend to pick it up on my next visit to library anyway, and Candy is Dandy because frankly, it sounds like something everyone should read! Hopefully I can find myself a copy too.

message 11: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Also, Dandelion Wine counts as classic maybe?

message 12: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Mion wrote: "Also, Dandelion Wine counts as classic maybe?"

yes