The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and Suggestions 2019 > February 2019 Nomination for the Author Theme Read- Other books by GAR authors

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Please nominate a book that is written by a Great American author (other than the book on the GAR list). This book should be relatively short (def. under 800 pages).

The Great American Read list with authors:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

See the discussion thread for ideas, and add other ideas, comments and recommendations to that thread.

You can list up to 5 books, but only list books that you are definitely interested in reading in February. We are looking for the books that are mentioned by the most people. Indicate your #1 choice (which may get an extra point if needed to identify the top choices). If there is a very clear winner with a good size group, we may skip a poll, otherwise, the top 3-5 will go into a poll.

We have two open nominations right now for February. If participation is much lower on one nomination thread compared to the other, we may delay one of the reads to ensure a robust discussion.

I'll leave this thread open for at least 10 days (possibly as late as January 2 depending on activity).

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments So if we've already commented on the other thread, we should still comment here? I'm confused...

message 3: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 17, 2018 08:39PM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "So if we've already commented on the other thread, we should still comment here? I'm confused..."

Good question. Let's keep all the discussions on the other thread. Once you decide which books you really prefer to read, list them here. Up to 5.

This thread is only for nominations.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:29PM) (new)

My Nominations for the Author Theme read

1. Jane Austen - Persuasion , 249 pages

2. Jame Baldwin - If Beale Street Could Talk, 197 pages. Or one of his others if this one will be hard for people to get from the library. (My library does have it now.)

3. Ernest Hemingway -A Moveable Feast, 192 pages

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments 1. Anything by Hemingway
2. I'll be brave and say I'll try another Steinbeck work, I just don't think I could re-do Grapes of Wrath. 40 years is still too soon....
3. Anything else by DuMaurier
4. Anything else by Dumas
5. I'd re-read Garcia Marquez's Strange Pilgrims. I really liked those short stories. Or Of Love and Other Demons. Probably my two favorite Gabo books.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2018 01:57AM) (new)

It looks like there is a lot more interest in the other thread, so we might consider delaying this theme until later. There are still so many great books on the original list, we don't need to consider others just yet. We can decide next week. I think Amanda and others posted on the discussion thread, so I'll check that after Christmas.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "1. Anything by Hemingway
2. I'll be brave and say I'll try another Steinbeck work, I just don't think I could re-do Grapes of Wrath. 40 years is still too soon....
3. Anything else by DuMaurier
4. ..."

I know, Grapes of Wrath is good, but it's so sad.

I put Of Love and Other Demons on my TBR list. It looks good!

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "1. Anything by Hemingway
2. I'll be brave and say I'll try another Steinbeck work, I just don't think I could re-do Grapes of Wrath. 40 years is still too soo..."

It is........there is so much there that brings the Caribbean to mind for me, and on top of that, a certain eery quality.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

OK I'm going to put a hold on non-GAR books for awhile. I'm really happy to see all the nominations for the books on the list!

I'll count all the February nominations for GAR books tomorrow, Dec 28, and I'll set up a poll.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...