Reading 1001 discussion

Past TBR lists > Liz M's 2019 TBR Takedown

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments January is #7: Pricksongs and Descants

message 3: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments I've finished Pricksongs and Descants.

What an unusual collection of stories. While I was fascinated by the style, the retelling of a well known story almost as the literary equivalent of a cubist painting, and for each showing many variations on how it could have happened, overall the collection is overwhelming and an over-amplification of the male gaze.

message 4: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments February is #15: A House in the Uplands

message 5: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Read and reviewed the awful A House in the Uplands here.

message 6: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Read and reviewed The Swimming-Pool Library over here.

message 7: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments It took me all month to read the lyrical and dense Look Homeward, Angel. The story of family dysfunction reminded me a fair amount of The Man Who Loved Children although I don't think these are all that similar. At times the story is well-told and provokes vivid images, but at others my mind would glaze over and I would realize I hadn't actually read the words for several pages. The writing is ornate, verging on florid, so there is a lot more description interfering with the plot than I prefer.

message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Again, I barely managed to finish the month's book in time. Asphodel is an autobiographical novel, written in the 1920s but unpublished until after the author's death. It has a similar plot and style to Pilgrimage, but is more fragmented and less in the narrator's emotions. The writing is lovely, but I never really felt connected to it.

message 9: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Read and reviewed The Midnight Examiner here.

message 10: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Even under the best circumstances, i usually don't get satire. So early 18th Century satire was never going to be an enjoyable read. Not being familiar with the society and ideas being ridiculed, I found Memoirs of Martinus Scriblerus dull. Each chapter was written as either an intellectual exercise or as a stand alone article, so the book is more episodic than plot driven.

message 11: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Although I read Billy Liar in the first week of August, I didn't get around to reviewing it until today.