Play Book Tag discussion

Member ChallengeTracking 2016-20 > Cora's 2019 Challenges and Goals

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (last edited Jan 01, 2020 03:55PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments My Reading Goals and Challenges for 2019:

Challenges:

Trim the TBR 12/12 COMPLETE
Expanding Our PBT Horizons 13/12 COMPLETE
Read At Least 60 Books 86/60 COMPLETE
Read Harder 24/24 COMPLETE
PopSugar 38/40, 5/10 (advanced)

Goals:
Read at Least One Book a Month for PBT Theme 12/12 DONE

message 2: by Cora (last edited Dec 24, 2019 05:34AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments Trim the TBR

1. Flight Behavior - Barbara Kingsolver
2. The Thornbirds - Colleen McCullough
3. The Black Prism - Brent Weeks
4. Watership Down - Richard Adams
5. The Host - Stephenie Myer
6. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
7. Hyperion - Dan Simmons
8. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
9. Echo - Pam Munoz Ryan
10. The City of Brass - S.A. Chakraborty
11. Eligible - Curtis Sittenfeld
12. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
13. Illuminae - Amie Kaufman
14. Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson
15. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
16. NOS4A2 - Joe Hill
17. The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter
18. Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson
19. The Rook - Daniel O'Malley
20. Howard's End - E.M. Forster
21. Sunshine - Robin McKinley
22. The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
23. Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson
24. The Strain - Guillermo del Toro
25. The Fireman - Joe Hill
26. In the Woods - Tana French
27. Renegades - Marissa Meyer
28. Written in Red - Anne Bishop
29. All the King's Men - Robert Penn Warren
30. The Forgotten Garden- Kate Morton
31. The Alice Network - Kate Quinn
32. All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot
33. Mythology - Edith Hamilton
34. The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker
35. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
36. Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman

January: #19: The Rook - Daniel O'Malley, 4 stars, 1/13/19, 496 pages, TAGGED Action Adventure
February: #17: The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter, 4 stars, 2/2/19, 511 pages, NO TAG
March: #34: The Golem and the Jinni, 4 1/2 stars, 3/15/19, 486 pages, TAGGED Debut
April: #12: Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell, 4 stars, 4/24/19, 529 pages, TAGGED History
May: #24 The Strain - Guillermo del Toro, 4 stars, 5/12/19, 403 pages, NO TAG
June: #30 The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton, 4 1/2 stars, 6/19/19, 552 page, NO TAG
JULY: #23 Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson, 4 stars, 7/13/19, 592 pages, NO TAG
AUGUST: #16 NOS4A2 - Joe Hill, 4 stars, 8/8/19, 692 pages, TAGGED 21st Century
SEPTEMBER: #3 The Black Prism - Brent Weeks, 3 1/2 stars, 9/21/19, 629 pages, NO TAG
OCTOBER: #32 All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot, 3 1/2 stars, 10/29/19, 442 pages, NO TAG
NOVEMBER: #28 Written in Red - Anne Bishop, 4 stars, 11/1/19, 433 pages, NO TAG
DECEMBER: #2 The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCullough, 3 1/2 stars, 12/23/19, 533 pages, NO TAG

message 3: by Cora (last edited Nov 23, 2019 06:49PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments Expanding Our PBT Horizons

January: Iraq
February: Portugal
March: South Korea
April: Italy
May: Brazil
June: Greece
July: Syria
August: Australia
September: Egypt
October: Spain
November: Native American
DECEMBER: Dominican Republic

1. Naphtalene: A Novel of Baghdad - Alia Mamdouh, 2 1/2 stars, 1/23/19, dtb from library, IRAQ

Naphtalene is the story of a young girl (at the beginning she is 9 years old, at the end she is about 12) growing up in Baghdad in the 1950s. It is very descriptive and atmospheric. The author does a good job bringing to life the everyday life of women in Iraq during this time period. Unfortunately for me, it was very hard to read. It is written in a stream of consciousness style. The author switches from first person to second person and back to first often, even in the middle of paragraphs. There are flashbacks that you don't realize are flashbacks until it mentions a character who has already gone. The writing style really made it hard for me to follow what was going on in the story. The parts I was able to look past the style and absorb the story were wonderfully evocative of the place and time.

2. The Color of Earth - Kim Dong Hwa, 4 stars, 3/27/19, dtb from library, South Korea

The Color of Earth is a graphic novel written by Korean author Kim Dong Hwa. The book is the first in a series of three based on his mother's life growing up in Korea. This book starts when she, Ehwa, is seven years old and ends when she is a teen. The book focuses on her discovering what it means to be a woman and how she grows and blooms into a young lady. It was an interesting story to read, especially since you realize that no matter what part of the world you are from, young girls are essentially the same. I liked the relationship that Ehwa has with her mother, a widow that runs a tavern. There is a lot of symbolism in the book, both through the text and the pictures. The artwork was lovely, just simple enough yet detailed to convey the emotions the characters are experiencing. I would read the next volume if the opportunity presents itself.

3. I'm Not Scared - Niccolò Ammaniti, 4 1/2 stars, 4/25/19, dtb from library, ITALY

This short book (200 pages) is about Michele, 9 year old boy who lives in a small village in Italy. One day he is playing with his friends when he loses a race and as a result has to do a dare. His friends dare him to go through an abandoned house. While doing so, Michele discovers a disturbing secret that changes everything.

This book really held my interests, I found myself on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. In fact, I finished the book in one setting. I am not usually a big fan of suspense thrillers, but there was something about Michele that made me care about him and what he was going through. It was different than anything else I have read and I am glad the expanding horizons challenge pushed me to discover it.

4. The House by the River - Lena Manta, 3 1/2 stars, 6/28/19, kindle, GREECE

The House by the River is about a Greek woman who lives in a small village at the foot of Mt. Olympus. She has five daughters who each eventually leave to follow their dreams. The book tells the story of each daughter and how they find their way back home.

This book kept my attention. I liked how each of the sisters' stories were told and they were all different and interesting. I am not sure I appreciated the amount of hardships all of the sisters suffered. I was really hoping that someone would have had a somewhat happy story. In the end it was a bit much for my tastes. I also felt like the author was trying to make a point about following your dreams ending in disaster and I am not sure that the message sits right with me. Despite these complaints, I was drawn into each story and the book was an engaging read.

5. Death Is Hard Work - Khaled Khalifa, 4 stars, 7/10/19, kindle from library, SYRIA

This book is about three siblings in modern day Syria trying to fulfill their father's dying wish to be buried in the town he grew up with, where is sister is buried. The trip, which would take only a few hours in peace-time, is a multi-day journey through dangerous, war-torn Syria. While the horrors of war is the back drop of this story, it is primarily a story about ordinary people trying to live their lives amidst the war. The trio have to maneuver through areas controlled by both sides of the war, and they all present a danger to them in their own ways. The book didn't really take sides in the conflict, although you do know where the characters' (and perhaps the author's) sympathies lie, rather it presents a country torn up and devastated by the violence of war and how that takes a toll on the people who live there. A simple trip to bury a father becomes a dangerous ordeal. The characters aren't exactly likable, but I found myself hoping that they find what they needed none the less. Despite their character flaws, they take a dangerous journey to do what they felt they needed to do for a father that they were not particularly close to. I do feel like I was left with a more complete understanding of what ordinary people are going through in Syria and other areas of the world that are suffering from wars. If I have one criticism it was that the story of the the sister was not as developed as the two brothers. I would have liked to understand her motivations and backstory more - but perhaps that says something about modern day Syria as well. However, other female characters are more complete characters (mostly seen through the eyes of a male character).

6. The Dry - Jane Harper, 4 stars, 8/3/19, AUSTRALIA

The Dry is a mystery novel set in a small farming community near Melbourne, Australia. The town is in an economic downturn due to a two year drought that is hurting the farming community. Aaron Falks is a federal police detective who is returning to the town for his childhood friend's funeral. His friend appears to have killed his wife and son before shooting himself. His friend's parents appeal to him to stay and investigate because they don't want to believe their son could have killed his family.

This was a great mystery. I liked the characters and the atmosphere of the setting. The mystery was good - I did not guess the culprit until I was supposed to, yet after the reveal I can see the clues were there. Will definitely put the next one in the series on my TBR.

7. The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf - Ambelin Kwaymullina, 4 stars, 8/18/19, kindle, AUSTRALIA

4 stars

The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf is a young adult dystopian novel that is inspired by its author's aboriginal ancestry. After humans have caused a world wide apocalypse survivors have rebuilt society on the idea that there must be a balance with nature and the world in order to avoid a repeat. When people begin to manifest abilities, the authorities declare that the abilities will upset the balance and those people must be separated from society and controlled. Ashala Wolf has a sleepwalking ability that allows her supernatural powers while she is sleeping. To avoid being taken by the government she runs away to the forest and starts a tribe of other runaways. But government officials are going to allow them to remain free and they work to capture Ashala and destroy the tribe.

This was an a great story with good world building. I liked the characters, although I did not feel like they were as fleshed out as they could have been. The plot was entertaining with enough twists that surprised me to keep me reading. The romance in the novel was the love at first sight type that is common in young adult novels, but once you get beyond the speed, it was not too heavy handed.

8. Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring - Bassem Youssef, 4 1/2 stars, 9/7/19, kindle, EGYPT

9. All This I Will Give to You - Dolores Redondo, 4 stars, 10/24/19, kindle, SPAIN

Best selling author, Manuel Ortigosa awakes one day to police knocking on his door. They inform him that his husband has died in a traffic accident. Thus opening a pandora's box where Manuel discovers that his husband was living a double life that he kept secret from him. Manuel tries to find the answers to his husband's death and the secrets that were kept from him.

This book started out slow for me but as I read, the story and characters really began to grow on me. By the end, I found my self attached to several of the characters, even those I initially disliked, and absorbed by the mystery. I also felt like I learned about another part of the world. Life in the Spanish country side was bound by tradition and social contracts. I found the contrast between Galicia and Madrid especially interesting. I really enjoyed the scenes involving the wineries and the traditional vineyards. It brought the community to life.

10. Dawn: Stories - Selahattin Demirtaş, 4 1/2 stars, 10/30/19, library book, TURKEY

This is a collection of short stories written by Selahattin Demirtas, a Kurdish politician in Turkey who has been imprisoned for his political stances. In fact the book was written while the author was in prison. The stories tell about the everyday of normal people in Turkey. The everyday can be brutal, but the author does leave the reader with a glimmer of hope at the end. I found the stories interesting and the characters compelling. I feel like I got an excellent feeling of what life in Turkey under the current regime is like

12. New Poets of Native Nations - Heid E. Erdrich, 4 stars, 11/12/19, library

13. Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices - Lisa Charleyboy & Mary Beth Leatherdale (eds.), 5 stars, 11/23/19, from library

This book is a collection of art from different artists indigenous to North America. It has wide variety of native nations represented from all over the continent. It also has a wide variety of art represented from dancers and singers to poets and chefs. It was a great way to familiarize myself with contemporary native culture. The book is geared towards a middle grade or young adult audience, but it did not seem "dumbed" down for that age group. It does not shy away from the hard parts such as residential schools and addiction but it also represents the beauty of the culture and how culture and art can save people.

message 4: by Cora (last edited Jan 01, 2020 03:52PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments Read 60 Books

1. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett, 4 stars, 1/1/19, audio
2. The Drowned Cities - Paolo Bacigalupi, 4 1/2 stars, 1/11/19, audio
3. The Rook - Daniel O'Malley, 4 stars, 1/13/19, kindle
4. Divergent - Veronica Roth, 3 1/2 stars, 1/20/19, audio and kindle
5. Naphtalene: A Novel of Baghdad - Alia Mamdouh, 2 1/2 stars, 1/23/19, dtb from library
6. Warcross - Marie Lu, 4 stars, 1/27/19, audio and kindle
7. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin, 3 1/2 stars, 1/28/19, audio from library
8. The Bone Mother - David Demchuk, 4 stars, 1/30/19, kindle
9. Power Moves: Lessons from Davos - Adam M. Grant, 4 stars, 2/1/19, audio
10. The Good Daughter - Karin Slaughter, 4 stars, 2/2/19, kindle
11. A Carnival of Losses: Notes Nearing Ninety - Donald Hall, 4 stars, 2/13/19, kindle
12. Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions - Brian Christian & Tom Griffith, 4 stars, 2/22/19, audio
13. Artificial Condition - Martha Wells, 4 1/2 stars, 2/23/19, audio
14. Clean Sweep - Ilona Andrews, 3 1/2 stars, 3/2/19, audio
15. The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker, 4 1/2 stars, 3/15/19, audio and kindle
16. Sleeping Giants Sylvain Neuvel, 4 stars, 3/19/19, kindle
17. Trail of Lightning - Rebecca Roanhorse, 4 stars 3/24/19, kindle
18. Blanche on the Lam - Barbara Neely, 4 stars, 3/25/19, kindle
19. The Color of Earth - Kim Dong Hwa, 4 stars, 3/27/19, dtb from library
20. The Oracle Year - Charles Soule, 3 1/2 stars, 3/29/19, kindle
21. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton, 4 stars, 4/4/19, kindle from library
22. March: Book One - John Lewis, 4 stars, 4/6/19, paperback
23. March: Book Two - John Lewis, 4 stars, 4/6/19, paperback
24. Wade in the Water: Poems - Tracy K. Smith, 4 stars, 4/18/19, library book
25. American Sonnets for My Past and Future Assassin - Terrance Hayes, 4 1/2 stars, 4/18/19, library book
26. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell, 4 stars, 4/24/19, kindle and audio (audio from library)
27. I'm Not Scared - Niccolò Ammaniti, 4 1/2 stars, 4/25/19, library book
28. A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab, 3 1/2 stars, 5/2/19, audio
29. Bluebird, Bluebird - Attica Locke, 4 stars, 5/6/19, audio
30. The Strain - Guillermo del Toro, 4 stars, 5/12/19, kindle
31. Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury, 3 1/2 stars, 5/17/19, audio
32. Beneath the Sugar Sky - Seanan McGuire, 4 stars, 5/19/19, kindle
33. Rogue Protocol - Martha Wells, 4 stars, 5/19/19, audio
34. Exit Strategy - Martha Wells, 5 stars, 5/31/19, audio
35. Deathless - Catherynne M. Valente, 3 1/2 stars, 6/17/19, kindle
36. The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton, 4 1/2 stars, 6/19/19, audio
37. The House by the River - Lena Manta, 3 1/2 stars, 6/28/19, kindle
38. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett, 4 stars, 6/29/19, audio from library
39. London Falling - Paul Cornell, 4 stars, 7/5/19, kindle
40. Death Is Hard Work - Khaled Khalifa, 4 stars, 7/10/19, kindle from library
41. Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson, 4 stars, 7/13/19, audio
42. The Sorcerer's House - Gene Wolfe, 3 1/2 stars, 7/17/19, kindle
43. Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World - Scott McCormick, 4 stars, 7/19/19, audio
44. A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs - Ben Garrod, 4 stars, 7/19/19, audio
45. The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett, 4 stars, 7/19/19, audio
46. An Extraordinary Union - Alyssa Cole, 3 1/2 stars, 7/27/19, kindle from library
47. The Magicians - Lev Grossman, 3 stars, 7/29/19, audible from library
48. An Unkindness of Ghosts - Rivers Solomon, 5 stars, 8/2/19, kindle
49. Witches of Lychford - Paul Cornell, 4 stars, 8/2/19, kindle
50. The Dry - Jane Harper, 4 stars, 8/3/19, kindle
51. NOS4A2 - Joe Hill, 4 stars, 8/8/19, kindle
52. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford, 4 stars, 8/10/19, audio
53. Thanks, Obama: My Hopey, Changey White House Years - David Litt, 4 stars, 8/14/19, kindle
54. The Poet X - Elizabeth Acevedo, 4 1/2 stars, 8/15/19, kindle
55. Buffalo Soldier - Maurice Broaddus, 4 stars, 8/16/19, kindle
56. Hi Bob! - Bob Newhart, 4 stars, 8/16/19, audio
57. The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf - Ambelin Kwaymullina, 4 stars, 8/18/19
58. This House is Haunted - John Boyne, 3 1/2 stars, 8/23/19, kindle
59. How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice From White People - D.L. Hughley, 4 stars, 8/24/19, audio from library
60. All the Birds in the Sky - Charlie Jane Anders, 3 1/2 stars, 9/2/19, kindle
---------------------------------------------------------------------
61. Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker - Kevin D. Mitnick, 3 stars, 9/3/19, audio
62. Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring - Bassem Youssef, 4 1/2 stars, 9/7/19, kindle
63. American Like Me: Reflections on Life Between Cultures - America Ferrera, 4 1/2 stars, 9/14/19, audio from library
64. The Black Prism - Brent Weeks, 3 1/2 stars, 9/21/19, kindle
65. Blood on Snow - Jo Nesbø, 2 1/2 stars, 9/23/19, audio from library
66. Today Will Be Different - Maria Semple, 3 1/2 stars, 9/28/19, audio from library
67. Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove - Ahmir Questlove Thompson, 3 1/2 stars, 10/10/19, kindle
68. Gods of Jade and Shadow - Silvia Moreno-Garcia, 4 stars, 10/16/19, kindle from library
69. All This I Will Give to You - Dolores Redondo, 4 stars, 10/24/19, kindle
70. Buso Renkin, Vol. 1 - Nobuhiro Watsuki, 3 stars, 10/26/19, dtb from library
71. House of Danger - R.A. Montgomery, 3 stars, 10/26/19, kindle
72. Nimona - Noelle Stevenson, 5 stars, 10/26/19, kindle
73. The Murders of Molly Southbourne - Tade Thompson, 4 stars, 10/26/19, kindle
74. All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot, 3 1/2 stars, 10/29/19, kindle
75. City of Ghosts - Victoria Schwab, 3 1/2 stars, 10/30/19, kindle
76. Dawn: Stories - Selahattin Demirtaş, 4 1/2 stars, 10/30/19, print library book
77. How Long 'til Black Future Month? - N.K. Jemisin, 4 stars, 10/31/19, kindle
78. Written in Red - Anne Bishop, 4 stars, 11/1/19, kindle
79. In an Absent Dream - Seanan McGuire, 4 1/2 stars, 11/5/19, audio from library
80. America's First Daughter - Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie, 3 1/2 stars, 11/10/19, kindle
81. New Poets of Native Nations - Heid E. Erdrich, 4 stars, 11/12/19, from library
82. The Scorpio Races-Maggie Stiefvater, 4 1/2 stars, 11/22/19, audio from library
83. Charlotte's Web - E.B. White, 5 stars, 11/22/19, audio book from library
84. Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices - Lisa Charleyboy, 5 stars, 11/23/2019, from library
85. Burr - Gore Vidal, 4 stars, 12/6/19, kindle
86. Challenger Deep - Neal Shusterman, 5 stars, 12/10/19, audio from library
87. Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman, 4 stars, 12/17/19, audible
88. All Systems Red - Martha Wells, 5 stars, 12/18/19, audible
89. The Lost Child of Lychford - Paul Cornell, 3.5 stars, 12/19/19, kindle
90. The Thorn Birds - Colleen McCullough, 3.5 stars, 12/23/19, kindle from library
91. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare, 3.5 stars, 12/30/19, kindle
92. Nothing to See Here - Kevin Wilson, 4 stars, 12/31/19, kindle and audio from library

message 5: by Cora (last edited Dec 11, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments Read Harder COMPLETED 12/10/19!!!!!!!!

1. A epistolary novel or a collection of letters: The Sorcerer's House - Gene Wolfe, 3 1/2 stars, 7/17/19
2. An alternate history novel: Buffalo Soldier - Maurice Broaddus, 4 stars, 8/16/19
3. A book by a woman and/or AOC (Author of Color) that won a literary award in 2018: Bluebird, Bluebird - Attica Locke, 4 stars, 5/6/19
4. A humor book: Hi Bob! - Bob Newhart, 4 stars, 8/16/19
5. A book by a journalist or about journalism: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton, 4 stars, 4/4/19
6. A book by an AOC set in or about space: An Unkindness of Ghosts - Rivers Solomon, 5 stars, 8/2/19
7. An #ownvoices book set in Mexico or Central America: Gods of Jade and Shadow - Silvia Moreno-Garcia, 4 stars, 10/16/19
8. An #ownvoices book set in Oceania: The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf - Ambelin Kwaymullina, 4 stars, 8/18/19
9. A book published prior to January 1, 2019, with fewer than 100 reviews on Goodreads: Naphtalene: A Novel of Baghdad - Alia Mamdouh, 2 1/2 stars, 1/23/19
10. A translated book written by and/or translated by a woman:The House by the River - Lena Manta, 3 1/2 stars, 6/28/19
11. A book of manga: : Buso Renkin, Vol. 1 - Nobuhiro Watsuki, 3 stars, 10/26/19
12. A book in which an animal or inanimate object is a point-of-view character: The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett, 4 stars, 6/29/19
13. A book by or about someone that identifies as neurodiverse: Challenger Deep - Neal Shusterman, 5 stars, 12/10/19
14. A cozy mystery: Blanche on the Lam - Barbara Neely, 4 stars, 3/25/19
15. A book of mythology or folklore: The Bone Mother - David Demchuk, 4 stars, 1/30/19
16. An historical romance by an AOC: An Extraordinary Union - Alyssa Cole, 3 1/2 stars, 7/27/19
17. A business book: Power Moves: Lessons from Davos - Adam M. Grant, 4 stars, 2/1/19
18. A novel by a trans or nonbinary author: All the Birds in the Sky - Charlie Jane Anders, 3 1/2 stars, 9/2/19
19. A book of nonviolent true crime: Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker - Kevin D. Mitnick, 3 stars, 9/3/19
20. A book written in prison: Dawn: Stories - Selahattin Demirtaş, 4 1/2 stars, 10/30/19
21. A comic by an LGBTQIA creator: Nimona - Noelle Stevenson, 5 stars, 10/26/19
22. A children’s or middle grade book (not YA) that has won a diversity award since 2009: Dreaming in Indian: Contemporary Native American Voices - Lisa Charleyboy, 5 stars, 11/23/2019
23. A self-published book: Clean Sweep - Ilona Andrews, 3 1/2 stars, 3/2/19
24. A collection of poetry published since 2014: Wade in the Water: Poems - Tracy K. Smith, 4 stars, 4/18/19

message 6: by Cora (last edited Jan 01, 2020 03:54PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments PopSugar

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019: The Dry - Jane Harper, 4 stars, 8/3/19
2. A book that makes you nostalgic: Thanks, Obama: My Hopey, Changey White House Years - David Litt, 4 stars, 8/14/19
3. A book written by a musician (fiction or non-fiction): Mo' Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove - Ahmir Questlove Thompson, 3 1/2 stars, 10/10/19
4. A book you think should be turned into a movie: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton, 4 stars, 4/4/19
5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads: Divergent - Veronica Roth, 3 1/2 stars, 1/20/19
6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover: Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury, 3 1/2 stars, 5/17/19
7. A reread of a favorite book: All Systems Red - Martha Wells, 5 stars, 12/18/19
8. A book about a hobby
9. A book you meant to read in 2018: The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett, 4 stars, 1/1/19
10. A book with "pop," "sugar," or "challenge" in the title: Beneath the Sugar Sky - Seanan McGuire, 4 stars, 5/19/19
11. A book with a item of clothing or accessory on the cover: Revolution for Dummies: Laughing through the Arab Spring - Bassem Youssef, 4 1/2 stars, 9/7/19
12. A book inspired by mythology, legend or folklore: The Bone Mother - David Demchuk, 4 stars, 1/30/19
13. A book published posthumously: A Carnival of Losses: Notes Nearing Ninety - Donald Hall, 4 stars, 2/13/19
14. A book set in space: Artificial Condition - Martha Wells, 4 1/2 stars, 2/23/19
15. A book by two female authors: America's First Daughter - Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie, 3 1/2 stars, 11/10/19
16. A book with a title that contains "salty," "sweet," "bitter," or "spicy": Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford, 4 stars, 8/10/19
17. A book set in Scandinavia: Blood on Snow - Jo Nesbø, 2 1/2 stars, 9/23/19
18. A book that takes place in a single day: Today Will Be Different - Maria Semple, 3 1/2 stars, 9/28/19
19. A debut novel: The Rook - Daniel O'Malley, 4 stars, 1/13/19
20. A book that's published in 2019: Power Moves: Lessons from Davos - Adam M. Grant, 4 stars, 2/1/19
21. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature: The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker, 4 1/2 stars, 3/15/19
22. A book recommended by a celebrity that you admire: The Sorcerer's House - Gene Wolfe, 3 1/2 stars, 7/17/19
23. A book with "love" in the title
24. A book featuring an amateur detective: Blanche on the Lam - Barbara Neely, 4 stars, 3/27/19
25. A book about a family: The House by the River - Lena Manta, 3 1/2 stars, 6/28/19
26. A book written by an author from Asia, Africa, or South America: The Color of Earth - Kim Dong Hwa, 4 stars, 3/27/19
27. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in the title: The Scorpio Races - Maggie Stiefvater, 4 1/2 stars, 11/22/19
28. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie: Charlotte's Web - E.B. White, 5 stars, 11/22/19
29. A retelling of a classic: Deathless - Catherynne M. Valente, 3 1/2 stars, 6/17/19
30. A book with a question in the title: How Long 'til Black Future Month? - N.K. Jemisin, 4 stars, 10/31/19
31. A book set on a college or university campus: The Magicians - Lev Grossman, 5 stars, 8/2/19
32. A book about someone with a super power: The Interrogation of Ashala Wolf - Ambelin Kwaymullina, 4 stars, 8/18/19
33. A book told from multiple character POVs: The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton, 4 1/2 stars, 6/19/19
34. A book that includes a wedding: Naphtalene: A Novel of Baghdad - Alia Mamdouh, 2 1/2 stars, 1/23/19
35. A book by an author whose first and last names begin with the same letter: Trail of Lightning - Rebecca Roanhorse, 4 stars, 3/24/19
36. A ghost story: This House is Haunted - John Boyne, 3 1/2 stars, 8/23/19
37. A book with a two word title: Clean Sweep - Ilona Andrews, 3 1/2 stars, 3/2/19
38. A novel based on a true story: Burr - Gore Vidal, 4 stars, 12/6/19
39. A book revolving around a puzzle or a game: The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin, 3 1/2 stars, 1/28/19
40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading Challenge

ADVANCED
1. A "cli-fi" (climate fiction) book: The Drowned Cities - Paolo Bacigalupi, 4 1/2 stars, 1/11/19
2. A chose your own adventure book: House of Danger - R.A. Montgomery, 3 stars, 10/26/19
3. An "own-voices" book: An Unkindness of Ghosts - Rivers Solomon, 5 stars, 8/2/19
4. Read a book during the season it is set in: The Lost Child of Lychford - Paul Cornell, 3 1/2 stars, 12/19/19
5. A litRPG book: Warcross - Marie Lu, 4 stars, 1/27/19
6. A book with no chapters, unusual chapter headings, or unconventionally numbered chapters
7. Two books that share the same title (1): City of Bones - Cassandra Clare, 3 1/2 stars, 12/30/19
8. Two books that share the same title (2)
9. A book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom (e.g. Big Brother from 1984)
10. A book set in an abbey, cloister, monastery, vicarage, or convent

message 7: by Cora (last edited Dec 19, 2019 07:01PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments Read One Book for Each PBT Theme

January: Action-Adventure: The Drowned Cities - Paolo Bacigalupi, 4 1/2 stars, 1/11/19
February: Life: A Carnival of Losses: Notes Nearing Ninety - Donald Hall, 4 stars, 2/13/19
March: Debut: The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker, 4 1/2 stars, 3/15/19
April: History: March: Book One - John Lewis, 4 stars, 4/6/19
May: Beautiful: A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab 3 1/2 stars, 5/2/19
June: Retellings: Deathless - Catherynne M. Valente, 3 1/2 stars, 6/17/19
July: London: London Falling - Paul Cornell, 4 stars, 7/5/19
August 21st century: An Unkindness of Ghosts - Rivers Solomon, 5 stars, 8/2/19
September Cultural:American Like Me: Reflections on Life Between Cultures - America Ferrera, 4 1/2 stars, 9/14/19
October Crime Fiction: All This I Will Give to You - Dolores Redondo, 4 stars, 10/24/19
November American History: America's First Daughter - Stephanie Dray & Laura Kamoie, 3 1/2 stars, 11/10/19
December 2005: Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman, 4 stars, 12/17/19

message 8: by Joanne (last edited Dec 19, 2018 02:37PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7509 comments Cora wrote: "Trim the TBR

Hi Cora I have Black Prism on my list too-I moved it to match your #(3) with hopes we could do a buddy read if the number comes up-just a thought

message 9: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments Joanne wrote: "Cora wrote: "Trim the TBR

Hi Cora I have Black Prism on my list too-I moved it to m..."

Sounds good.

message 10: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5241 comments Hi Cora, we have a lot of people interested in Golem&Jinni, and we're trying to set it for 31 or 34.

message 11: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3256 comments I loved The Strain trilogy and NOS4A2, I hope you enjoy them if picked as well!

message 12: by Cora (last edited Jan 01, 2020 04:10PM) (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1363 comments End of Year Statistics:

Trim the TBR 12/12 COMPLETE
Expanding Our PBT Horizons 13/12 COMPLETE
Read At Least 60 Books 92/60 COMPLETE
Read Harder 24/24 COMPLETE
PopSugar 38/40, 5/10 (advanced)

Goals:
Read at Least One Book a Month for PBT Theme 12/12 DONE

92 total books

50 male authors (54%)
40 female authors (43%)
2 non-binary authors (3%)