Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #21: A comic by an LGBTQIA creator

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 430 comments Mod
Use this space to discuss books you're reading or that might fit the 21st Read Harder task.

message 3: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley (kimirons) | 30 comments Thanks! I have lumberjanes already so will defo be reading that.

message 5: by Ava (last edited Dec 19, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Ava | 29 comments Any of Alison Bechdel’s books will work for this task. I think I’m finally going to cross Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic off my list for this one; I even own a copy already!

message 6: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke Kieron Gillen has written some excellent Marvel and Star Wars comics. I would have picked one of them, but I've read pretty much everything he's written in those areas.

message 7: by Eujean2 (last edited Dec 18, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

message 8: by Christina (last edited Dec 19, 2018 10:03AM) (new)

Christina (defarge) | 6 comments Nimona has my highest recommendation. What a funny, warm, deeply tender book. I also enjoyed As the Crow Flies a great deal.

I loved Strong Female Protagonist. Book One, so I think I'll pick up The Witch Boy, also by Molly Ostertag.

message 9: by Allie (new)

Allie (allieeveryday) If you like superheroes, Roxane Gay's Black Panther: World of Wakanda will work.

message 10: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments I strongly recommend Nimona and Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy! I read both this year and they're wonderful. I could gush forever about Nimona especially. I'm doing Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max for this task since I enjoyed the first one and it's free to read with Kindle Unlimited.

message 11: by Mandi (new)

Mandi Thomas (themandithomas) | 23 comments Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me works for this prompt and also deals with a lot of mental health stuff.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Donahue | 2 comments Nimona is on sale today for e-readers.

message 14: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 177 comments I'm not into comics, but maybe I'll give Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy a shot.

message 15: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Stina wrote: "I'm not into comics, but maybe I'll give Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy a shot."

You and me both, but this is free so I can work with that. Thank you.

message 16: by Hope (new)

Hope Ava wrote: "Any of Alison Bechdel’s books will work for this task. I think I’m finally going to cross Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic off my list for this one; I even own a copy already!"

I am reading this too!

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana | 1 comments Great ideas so far -- I'll add My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

Both are also manga, so you can use them for task 11 too.

message 18: by Cristy (new)

Cristy (cristy_n) | 30 comments I have Julia Kaye's Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition in my home library waiting to be read.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie_newsome) | 2 comments Any suggestions for a comic in this category for elementary and middle school readers?

message 20: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 21 comments I'm part way through a couple of graphic novels by Lucy Knisley (Relish and Something New) and discovered that she identifies as bisexual. Her work tends to be autobiographical and she's got several titles to choose from.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Brady (twbird18) | 11 comments Therese wrote: "Stina wrote: "I'm not into comics, but maybe I'll give Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy a shot."

You and me both, but this is free so I can work with that. Thank you."

Lumberjanes is so fun! I'm looking forward to reading Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass this year.

message 22: by Dana (new)

Dana (stenella) | 96 comments I have read The Tea Dragon Society for this challenge. It was beautiful and has a great lesson.

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 129 comments Does anyone know if Jen Wang, the author of The Prince and the Dressmaker, is LGBTQ+? I've read a couple interviews with her & I think she is, but I haven't seen it explicitly stated.

message 24: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) Hi Theresa! Ive been trying to find this out myself . Finally, looking on yapride.org, it appears she is.

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 129 comments Candace wrote: "Hi Theresa! Ive been trying to find this out myself . Finally, looking on yapride.org, it appears she is."

Thank you!

message 26: by Yuna (new)

Yuna | 4 comments Happy to see so much Nimona love, which I read this year. It's cute and fun.

This year I'm planning to read Bingo Love for this part of the challenge.

message 27: by Mandie (new)

Mandie (mystickah) | 141 comments Yuna wrote: "Happy to see so much Nimona love, which I read this year. It's cute and fun.

This year I'm planning to read Bingo Love for this part of the challenge."

I read it as part of my challenge last year. It's fantastic!

message 28: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments I would highly recommendRock and Riot by Chelsey Furendi - cute 1950's gang v gang chock full of LGBT characters - and Sharp Zero: Phase 1 by robotsharks - superhero/fantasy/religion with gay protagonist, and many other lgbt characters, author is non-binary

message 29: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges in case that's easier for people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 30: by Mandie (new)

Mandie (mystickah) | 141 comments You can't go wrong with anything from Mariko Tamaki.

message 31: by Anneka (new)

Anneka (krazyizkool) | 5 comments Lucia wrote: "Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges in case that's easier for people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1......"

Thank you!

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (whymermaids) (whymermaids) | 2 comments For Fans of V.E. Schwab and her series A Darker Shade of Magic, she has a comic series and identifies as bi: Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince

message 33: by layla (last edited Jan 03, 2019 12:02PM) (new)

layla (therestricktedsection) | 4 comments Angie wrote: "Any suggestions for a comic in this category for elementary and middle school readers?"

Lumberjanes, The Tea Dragon Society, and Aquicorn Cove are all elementary/middle grade friendly.

Princess Princess Ever After, which is by the same author as The Tea Dragon Society and Aquicorn Cove, is as well.

I haven’t read Witch Boy or Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion but I’ve heard those are both appropriate for all ages.

message 34: by Margie (new)

Margie | 5 comments Taproot: A Story About A Gardiner and a Ghost by Keezy Young is a charming and quirky paranormal love story.

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 23 comments Rebecca wrote: "For Fans of V.E. Schwab and her series A Darker Shade of Magic, she has a comic series and identifies as bi: Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince"

This looks good, I've been wanting to read this author, thanks for the suggestion!

message 36: by ProfBen10 (last edited Jan 06, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

ProfBen10 | 50 comments When I saw Black Panther: World of Wakanda, I have decided to jump on the chance to read it!

Wakanda was always one of my favorite fictional countries, even years before the movie existed.

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen | 31 comments Does anyone know if Roz Chast who wrote Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? is LGBTQIA? I want to read this and it could fit here or in humor book.

message 38: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1353 comments Roz Chast is married to a man and has children.

message 39: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 42 comments Karen wrote: "Does anyone know if Roz Chast who wrote Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? is LGBTQIA? I want to read this and it could fit here or in humor book."

Honestly, I'm not sure it could count as humor, either. But I suppose technically it is.

message 40: by layla (new)

layla (therestricktedsection) | 4 comments A woman who is married to a man/has children with a man does not necessarily mean they aren’t LGBTQIA. Many bisexual/pansexual/trans/queer/intersex/asexual women are married to men and have children with men.

But specifically, in this case, I would say no, Roz Chast doesn’t fall under the LGBTQIA umbrella as there’s no information anywhere explicitly saying that she identifies as such.

message 41: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 30 comments I just finished reading M.F.K.: Book One; Magruder is ace, the oft-forgotten A of LGBTQIA. It's an enjoyable middle-grade secondary world fantasy story. I liked it, but it feels almost like a prologue, and I don't know that a second volume is forthcoming anytime soon.

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily Yelencich (em_yel) | 7 comments Dana wrote: "Great ideas so far -- I'll add My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

Both are also manga, so you can use them for task 11 too."

Was just coming to see what people thought about My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness qualifying! Will give it a shot!

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bloghappy) | 2 comments Angie wrote: "Any suggestions for a comic in this category for elementary and middle school readers?"

The Phoebe and Her Unicorn series by Dana Simpson should qualify.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to bend this category a little and instead of a single creator, am going for an anthology - "No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics". Another one that's long been on my list but never got to read until now.

message 45: by Margaret (last edited Jan 10, 2019 06:20PM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) | 17 comments Just bought and finished a standalone (I'm not big on comics except during this challenge, but when I do read them I prefer single issues to compilations and graphic novels).

X-Men Origins: Iceman by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Phil Noto. Loved it!

message 46: by April (new)

April | 4 comments I saw someone list Strong Female Protagonist but can’t find any information to confirm whether the author and/or artist identify with the LGBTQ community. Does anyone know?

message 47: by April (new)

April | 4 comments Never mind! Strong Female Protagonist’s artist (Molly) is engaged to Noelle Stevenson of Nimona fame! What a talented couple!

message 48: by Maureen (last edited Jan 10, 2019 11:15PM) (new)

Maureen Sklaroff (maureensk) | 4 comments layla wrote: "Angie wrote: "Any suggestions for a comic in this category for elementary and middle school readers?"

My daughter is aged 10 and we have read and enjoyed The Tea Dragon Society, Aquicorn Cove, Princess Princess Ever After, Witch Boy, and The Hidden Witch (Witch Boy sequel). We didn't even read them for a challenge or anything, she just likes graphic novels!

One caveat, Witch Boy and the Hidden Witch do have some people changing into a demon type thing that is somewhat scary.

message 49: by Jovana (new)

Jovana Ciric (kidkafka9) | 1 comments Nimona and Lumberjanes #1 by Noelle Stevenson

message 50: by LeAnna (new)

LeAnna (leanna_nash) | 8 comments I'm reading Bingo Love Vol. 1: Jackpot Edition by Tee Franklin.

« previous 1