Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #14: A cozy mystery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 430 comments Mod
Use this space to discuss books you're reading or that might fit the 14th Read Harder task.

message 2: by Kaye (new)

Kaye | 3 comments For cozy mystery titles in general, I recommend browsing here: https://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/

I am a cozy mystery fan and was particularly looking for romantic cozy mysteries a few months ago, and I found it a good reference!

Also, in general, you can't go wrong with Agatha Christie.

message 3: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke Indeed. Christie is my first choice for this one with Appointment with Death.
Aunty Lee's Delights is another that I would consider.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (thenoblewoman) | 17 comments I'll probably use one of Ausma Zehanat Khan books - I loved it so far and Toronto may not be "cozy" by everyone's standards but I've just got nothing but happy memories and positive associations with that city (hockey aside).

message 5: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) https://www.cozy-mystery.com/agatha-a...

Here's a link to award winners and finalists, in case you're looking for recognized novels.

message 6: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) Rachel wrote: "I'll probably use one of Ausma Zehanat Khan books - I loved it so far and Toronto may not be "cozy" by everyone's standards but I've just got nothing but happy memories and positiv..."

Rachel, you're hilarious!

message 7: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Dec 18, 2018 04:24AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) I'm a big fan of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series and I highly recommend the audiobooks. I plan to listen to the latest instalment, The Golden Tresses of the Dead, when it comes out in January.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 116 comments Kaye wrote: "For cozy mystery titles in general, I recommend browsing here: https://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/

I am a cozy mystery fan and was particularly looking for romantic cozy mysteries a few months ago..."

Thank you for this blog! I also love cozy mysteries and found a great new series to try that is set in my state of origin: A Gilded Grave. I'll probably have to get it through Interlibrary Loan, but I'm excited about it!

message 9: by Tracy (last edited Dec 18, 2018 05:01PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) This is going to be a sort of new genre for me, I think Ive read one Lilian Jackson Braun and one Diane Mott Davidson in my life and a long time ago. The term Cozy mystery just makes me think food and cats lol.

I picked Catering to Nobody ( I don't think this is the one I read). It should be a quick read anyways .

I noticed on the lists that Janet Evanovich is listed with the cozy mysteries, thoughts on that anyone?? I didn't think she counted. Maybe Im not understanding the definition of the genre. I should probably look it up.

message 10: by Satrina (new)

Satrina T | 39 comments Mercedes wrote: "https://www.cozy-mystery.com/agatha-a...

Here's a link to award winners and finalists, in case you're looking for recognized novels."

Thanks for the link Mercedes!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer R. | 1 comments I highly recommend any of the Agatha Raison mysteries. She is hilarious and the books are always entertaining.

message 12: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 180 comments Would a children's mystery story be considered a "cozy mystery"? I'm considering something from the Hank the Cowdog series by John R. Erickson or one of the Hardy Boys mysteries.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma | 32 comments Would Death by Dumpling work for this category?

message 14: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments Ohhh I can read Cocaine Blues for this task. I love the tv series(what I've seen of it so far) and looks like the first book is available real cheap on Kindle. =D

message 15: by Christina (last edited Dec 19, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Christina (defarge) | 6 comments Based on the description here, some of Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries would qualify:
Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2) by Dorothy L. Sayers The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7) by Dorothy L. Sayers

And I have to recommend the Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane mysteries in particular, though Strong Poison takes place in London, not in a small town.

Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6) by Dorothy L. Sayers Have His Carcase A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery with Harriet Vane (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8) by Dorothy L. Sayers Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12) by Dorothy L. Sayers Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey #13) by Dorothy L. Sayers

message 16: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments Seluxes wrote: "Of all the mystery sub-genres, of course, cozy would be the choice. Kellye Garrett came onto my radar when looking for #ownvoices novels; she has two mysteries out that look adorable and fun, but s..."

I read Hollywood Homicide for last year's challenge and really enjoyed it. I remember it being funny, too!

message 17: by Mandi (last edited Dec 19, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Mandi Thomas (themandithomas) | 23 comments My mom and I are both reading Joanne Fluke's series about Minnesota baker, Hannah Swensen, so I'll just read another one of those.

The first book in the series is Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2) by Joanne Fluke Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3) by Joanne Fluke Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4) by Joanne Fluke Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5) by Joanne Fluke Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7) by Joanne Fluke Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8) by Joanne Fluke Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9) by Joanne Fluke Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5) by Joanne Fluke Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10) by Joanne Fluke Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11) by Joanne Fluke

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 133 comments The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first of the Flavia de Luce mysteries set in the quaint English village of Bishops's Lacey. I'll be reading the latest (10?) when it arrives in 2019 - The Golden Tresses of the Dead.

message 19: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 20, 2018 06:52AM) (new)

Stephanie | 23 comments Would anything by Agatha Christie count in this category? I want to read And Then There Were None.

message 20: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke Not 100% of Agatha Christie's work counts for this category, but the majority of it does. And Then There Were None definitely fits the cozy definition.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan | 131 comments Would Murder at the Vicarage count?

message 22: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke Megan wrote: "Would Murder at the Vicarage count?"

Absolutely!

message 23: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 179 comments I have such a backlog of mysteries, cozy and not, to read that I will probably be very strict with myself for this prompt. No Poirot, as he's a professional detective. No bounty hunters. No hints of noir. I will likely limit myself to niche domestic mysteries for this selection.

message 24: by Denise (new)

Denise (deesbooknook) (deesbooknook) | 1 comments Would any of the Maisie Dobbs books work for this category?

message 25: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 158 comments I love Maisie Dobbs. Not sure if they are considered too serious for a cozy Mystery.

message 26: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 59 comments Brandon wrote: "Not 100% of Agatha Christie's work counts for this category, but the majority of it does. And Then There Were None definitely fits the cozy definition."

Then this is definitely my pick. I already have it on audio and I'm not generally a cozy mystery fan.

message 27: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1369 comments Yes. Maisy Dobbs books are cozies.

message 28: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 158 comments There is a series called Being a Jane Austen Mystery Book by Stephanie Barron. This looks like a cozy mystery series.

message 29: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Strand (kendrastrand) | 8 comments I'm currently reading the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny-- I just finished The Cruelest Month. I'd been thinking of those as cozy mysteries, but now I'm not sure...?

message 30: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 158 comments I love the Inspector Gamache series too. I was also wondering if these counted as cozy mysteries. Would the Sherry Thomas The Lady Sherlock series count as cozy mysteries?

message 31: by Britany (new)

Britany | 122 comments I would count them, I'm thinking of picking up the next book in the series myself. Could use a visit back to Three Pines.

message 32: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1369 comments The Penny books are cozies. When the storu focuses on the quirky characters rather than the murder its commonly considered cozy.

message 33: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 158 comments Thank you for that insight

message 34: by Kendra (new)

Kendra Strand (kendrastrand) | 8 comments Awesome, thank you. That makes sense. Love the quirky residents of Three Pines!

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 9 comments Would Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd or Sayer's Murder Must Advertise count?

message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 357 comments Bonnie wrote: "The Penny books are cozies. When the storu focuses on the quirky characters rather than the murder its commonly considered cozy."

Also, cozies don't have graphic murder or sex scenes.

message 37: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandy1130) | 8 comments Karen wrote: "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first of the Flavia de Luce mysteries set in the quaint English village of Bishops's Lacey. I'll be reading the latest (10?) when it ar..."

Love this series! They're smart and fun and adorable and Flavia is everything you'd want in a girl sleuth.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (lprice2) | 2 comments Amanda Flower’s Magical Bookshop series was great! Highly recommended.

message 39: by Bobby (last edited Dec 28, 2018 09:51PM) (new)

Bobby | 180 comments I would like to read Unpunished: A Mystery, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, but I don’t know enough about the book or the category to know whether it meets the criteria for this challenge.

If it doesn’t, I am also considering Murder in G Major, by Alexia Gordon; Murder at the Vicarage, by Agatha Christie; and The Annotated Innocence of Father Brown, by G.K. Chesterton.

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Samuelson | 21 comments I've been wanting to try Hope Never Dies so that'll probably be my pick.

message 41: by Carolina (new)

Carolina (calaqua) | 67 comments I'm reading the next book in the Oxford Tea Shop series, I read A Scone to Die For A Scone to Die For (Oxford Tearoom Mysteries #1) by H.Y. Hanna by H.Y. Hanna this year for one of the prompts and really enjoyed it.

message 42: by Shay (new)

Shay Vande (goodreadscomshaylogic) As a librarian, I immediately gravitated to the library-themed ones. The Haunted Library series sounds the most interesting to me, since I also love stories with ghosts in them (especially if it's not scary ghosts, but friendly ones). I'm going to read the first in the series:

Death Overdue

message 43: by Deb (new)

Deb | 35 comments I want Hugh Laurie's The GunSeller to fit this category, I guess it depends on how you define cozy.

message 44: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 9 comments I've never read a cozy mystery before, but there seem to be a lot of cats, so I'm intrigued. lol Curiosity Thrilled the Cat has caught my eye, so far.

message 45: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments I might revisit Emily Rodda's Raven Hill Mysteries series. I'm not an expert on the cozy mystery genre, but as a series about a bunch of kids who get roped into various mysteries in a small town surely it counts?

The first one is The Ghost of Raven Hill

message 46: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges in case that's easier for people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 47: by Ann (last edited Jan 02, 2019 04:23PM) (new)

Ann Contella (ahnsolo) | 21 comments I just finished my first book for 2019 - Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile. Very quick read; I started it yesterday.

message 48: by layla (new)

layla (therestricktedsection) | 4 comments The first book in the Daisy Dalrymple series Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn counts for this.

It’s about a journalist in the 1920s who always winds up in the midst of a murder and the first book is less than 300 pages if you’re wanting something shorter. There’s also a romance between the main character and a police officer if you want a bit of romance with your mystery.

message 49: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Burke (dockris) i was thinking the aurora teagarden books would work for this.

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 118 comments I finally read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. It's a fast read, Flavia is a trip! It did lag at times, and there are some missteps, but Flavia is so well done that she redeemed the book for me. I do think I'll eventually check out more from this series.

« previous 1 3 4