Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Marilyn's 2019 Level One Bingo Nonfiction Five

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (last edited Jun 26, 2019 10:06PM) (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments In an attempt to read some of the nonfiction books lingering on my bookshelves I decided to do make them into a challenge. Hopefully this will give me the push to read them.

✔︎B5: 20th Century Classic: Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin - 4 stars

✔︎I4: Literary Prize of Your Country: Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley - Lillian Smith Book Award (1977) - 3 stars

✔︎N3: FREE SPACE: Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou - 4.5 stars

G2: Classic By a Female Author: Thomas Jefferson: An Intimate History by Fawn M. Brodie

O1: 19th Century Classic: Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant, Complete by Ulysses S. Grant

✔︎ as completed

message 2: by Marilyn (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:58AM) (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments Black Like Me: I remember this book being in the house when I was a kid. I think I tried to read it but probably didn't finish.

What Hath God Wrought: In school we went from one war to the next in history class. From the War of 1812 we jumped to the pre-Civil War era. The years from 1815 to 1848 are a gaping hole in my knowledge of U.S. history.

Hillbilly Elegy: Got it for 50 cents at a library sale.

Thomas Jefferson: I need a different perspective on Jefferson than Lin Manuel Miranda's Hamilton.

Memoirs of U.S. Grant: I have wanted to read this for a long time.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 17, 2018 12:41PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9270 comments Mod
Great idea for a challenge. Awesome to see you working this into a Bingo challenge.

I loved What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1594 comments A great idea for this challenge. I read Black Like Me a few years ago. Even though it was long ago, I think the eye-opening experience Griffin had is still extremely relevant.

Good luck and have fun with your challenge.

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina Good for you, Marilyn :-)

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments Katy wrote: "Great idea for a challenge. Awesome to see you working this into a Bingo challenge.

I loved What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by [author:Daniel Walker ..."

It's a chunkster so I'm glad to hear that.

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments Laurie wrote: "A great idea for this challenge. I read Black Like Me a few years ago. Even though it was long ago, I think the eye-opening experience Griffin had is still extremely relevant.

Good luck and have f..."

Thanks, Laurie!

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments Brina wrote: "Good for you, Marilyn :-)"

Well-written history is good storytelling. I plan to work more nonfiction into my reading.

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments B5: Black Like Me - 4 stars

This was a learning experience. Not much surprised me, but a few things stunned me.

message 10: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Marilyn wrote: "B5: Black Like Me - 4 stars

This was a learning experience. Not much surprised me, but a few things stunned me."

That's a great sentence :)

message 11: by Richp (new)

Richp | 27 comments Black Like Me made a big impression on me when one of my high school teachers suggested I read it, sometime around 1970.

Other outstanding books suggested at the time were The Double Helix and All The King's Men.

A few years later I learned Massachusetts had a reputation among the right wing political persuasion as being Taxachusetts. What was going on was that the biggest state/local taxes were property taxes, and they almost all went to the town or city. It was baby boomer time to fill the schools to over capacity, and voters decided quality public education was a high priority. In a high school of about a thousand students in four grades, we had 5 Harvard and 1 MIT in faculty. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and it helps a lot to be in the right place and time (post Sputnik).

message 12: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments Richp wrote: "Black Like Me made a big impression on me when one of my high school teachers suggested I read it, sometime around 1970.

Other outstanding books suggested at the time were The Double Helix and Al..."

The author's experiences do make a big impression. This book will stick with me for a while.

The author mentions Strange Fruit by Lillian E. Smith. It was already on my TBR sometime list but I think I will move it up and read it this year.

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments N3: Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. Everyone around me is getting tired of my going on and on about this book. It's that good.

This story is also available as a podcast called The Dropout. Because I am obsessed, I am listening to this next.

message 14: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Enjoy! :)

message 15: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments I4: Roots: The Saga of an American Family

This book is historical fiction based on the author's oral family history. But, if the library system classifies it as nonfiction, then it's nonfiction. The author could have avoided the controversies over the facts surrounding individuals in his family if he had just gone with fiction.

Roots was a groundbreaking book about American slavery written by one of their descendents. I appreciate its significance, but I found it to be overly detailed. Maybe this was necessary in the 1970s when it was the first one. I chose the audio version to listen on a car trip. I listened with half of an ear to follow the story but not get bogged down in the details. If I had tried reading the book I'm not sure I would have finished.

message 16: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments I have started The Complete Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant. My plan is to read one or two chapters a day and hopefully finish by the end of September.

message 17: by Ila (new)

Ila | 336 comments That's one huge work Marilyn. All the best.

message 18: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 699 comments Ila wrote: "That's one huge work Marilyn. All the best."

Thanks, Ila!