THE GOOD LUCK YEAR END READING CHALLENGE OF 2018 discussion

Dystopian December

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
Post here when you finish a book that makes you glad to be alive in 2018 (wow!)

Mauricio Maluff Masi (mmaluff) | 3 comments I finished Manna, a sci fi dystopia/utopia with two visions of an automated future, one basically fascist and the other basically communist. The politics were naive in a classically techy way, and the writing was terrible, so I would not recommend.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
I read Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel and I really loved it. 99.9% of the population is dead but all of the characters find a weird connection with each other despite the epidemic wiping out almost everyone’s previous communities. I am really glad it’s 2018, electricity died in this version of societal collapse and that would suck. Happy Dystopian December!

message 4: by Ava (new)

Ava | 7 comments I read The Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates. The synopsis seemed like just my type of dystopia. The main character gets sent back to the 1950s as a punishment for free speech. The current day is ~2050. Unfortunately, the story got weaker as it went on. Adriane is questioning her world and that leads to her punishment. I feel like more and more the story was happening to her instead of her actions creating the story.

I wasn't a fan of her falling in love with the 'only person who can understand me' man in the book. He is almost 30 and her professor. She is 17.

I don't like YA very much and this book is an example of why. Strong concept and characters that devolve into a predatory romance. I really wanted more out of it. 2.5/5 stars

message 5: by Cristalyne (new)

Cristalyne | 3 comments Scribe by Alyson Hagy: I felt like I was dropped into the middle of a story with no beginning, but I think it has the bones of what could have been an addicting trilogy or at least a much longer story. I was very interested in the world the author created, but she didn’t seem all that interested in sharing it with me. I don’t clearly understand how the world works or the mysterious letter writing magic. The structure also made it hard to care about the characters until the end. I liked the character reveal at the end, but the bad guy who apparently controls the area should have come much sooner. Doing a slow unravel is risky and I nearly gave up on the book because of it. I think this could have been a great book if it didn’t have so many holes and was written in present with more action.