Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > Group Read Nominations for January 2019!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 14232 comments Mod
It's time to nominate books for our January 2019 Group Reads!

I'm up this month to host, and I'm choosing to do a themed read this time around. The theme is: WINTER

Any horror books set during the winter months will qualify, (excepting any that have been read or listened to by this group in the last year. If you're not sure whether it has been read or not, just click on the Previous Group Reads thread to find out.)

Post your nominations below! Don't worry if someone else already nominated it because the more nominations a book gets, the more apt it is to make it to our final poll. (Just say I second, (or third or fourth) the nomination of____.)

This nomination thread will be open until 12.20.18. On 12.21.18 the final polls will go up.

message 2: by David (new)

David Pollison | 21 comments Lot Lizards by Ray Garton

message 3: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Bennett | 3 comments The Shuddering

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I'd like to nominate Catriona Ward's modern gothic novel, Rawblood

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Dec 17, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments actually 1 more i'd like to nominate too: Subhuman by Michael McBride

Subhuman (Unit 51 #1) by Michael McBride

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy  (exercisethatbrain) The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kirstenfoxmccully) | 5 comments I would like to nominate Chris Priestley’s Dead of Winter. Although he writes for young adults, all of his books are creepy and dark! Love his writing.

message 10: by Bri (new)

Bri (spookyreadsbybri) | 17 comments Rachel wrote: "I'd like to nominate: I Remember You: A Ghost Story by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir

I Remember You A Ghost Story by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir"

I second this!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Foster I'll nominate A Winter Sleep from Greg Gifune.

message 12: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 704 comments Rachel wrote: "actually 1 more i'd like to nominate too: Subhuman by Michael McBride

Subhuman (Unit 51 #1) by Michael McBride"

I second this one :)

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 10 comments I'll nominate The Trickster by the criminally under rated Muriel Gray

message 14: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments Ararat by Christopher Golden I've been wanting to read this one for a while. I've heard great things.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Kirsten wrote: "I would like to nominate Chris Priestley’s Dead of Winter. Although he writes for young adults, all of his books are creepy and dark! Love his writing."

+1

message 17: by Jamie (last edited Dec 17, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 158 comments Kirsten wrote: "I would like to nominate Chris Priestley’s Dead of Winter. Although he writes for young adults, all of his books are creepy and dark! Love his writing."

I will second/third The Dead of Winter by Chris Priestley

message 18: by Bri (new)

Bri (spookyreadsbybri) | 17 comments Leah wrote: "The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon"

I second this also. I've wanted to read it for a while now.

message 19: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Flores (jesusflores) | 1 comments Snowblind by Christopher Golden

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Well there are 3 I want to read but they all have been seconded and third so I will second

The Trickster by Muriel Gray The Trickster

message 21: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3126 comments Mod
Dark Matter by Michelle Paver Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

message 22: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 514 comments Dead of Winter by Kealan Patrick Burke

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Moore (kamoorephoto) | 4 comments I've already read ’Dark Matter’ but it's a pretty good one!!! (quite an easy read)

message 24: by Judy Cadena (new)

Judy Cadena | 83 comments The Dark by David Cassidy

The Dark by David C. Cassidy

message 25: by Parisa (new)

Parisa Bookworm (parisa_bookworm) | 6 comments Amy wrote: "The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco."

I second this

message 26: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 582 comments The Shining was already read, but in 2013. So i nominate it.

message 27: by Char (last edited Dec 17, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

David wrote: "Lot Lizards by Ray Garton"

I love me some Ray Garton, but is this a winter read?
(I haven't read this one yet.)

message 28: by Char (new)

I am LOVING the variety of nominations so far!
Keep em coming!

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Rafael wrote: "The Shining was already read, but in 2013. So i nominate it."

i plan on reading that this winter anyway so i will second this!

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Rybasack Chills by Mary Sangiovanni, been on my to read list for a while now

message 31: by Sonja (new)

Sonja | 211 comments 'Thin Air' by Michelle Paver Thin Air

message 32: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 31 comments Dustin wrote: "The Terror"

This was already a group read this year (in February) see https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 33: by Joe (new)

Joe Piccoli | 176 comments I always wanted to read a Greg Gifune book so I will second A Winter Sleep by Greg Gifune.

message 34: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 737 comments Lance wrote: "Ararat by Christopher Golden I've been wanting to read this one for a while. I've heard great things."

I second it!

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6082 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "Chills by Mary Sangiovanni, been on my to read list for a while now"

Chills (Kathy Ryan, #1) by Mary SanGiovanni was a group read in July, so it is not eligible for this month. Here is the link to the books read/listened to in the group for the past year: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 36: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments Sonja wrote: "'Thin Air' by Michelle Paver Thin Air"

I'll second Thin Air. Dark Matter by her is pretty great, but I just read that one;-).

message 37: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments Parisa wrote: "Amy wrote: "The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco."

I second this"

That's a great book, but I don't remember it being in the horror genre, or having much to do with winter?? Granted, it's been years and years since I've read it.....

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Sonja wrote: "'Thin Air' by Michelle Paver Thin Air"

I'll go threesies on Thin Air I've read dark Matter and it was utterly terrifying.

message 39: by M.E. (new)

M.E. | 409 comments +1 for Subhuman
also
+1 for A Winter Sleep

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (amandanator) I fourth the nomination of Thin Air by Michelle Paver.

message 41: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5086 comments Mod
Wow! nice to see for a change the suggestions aren't inundated with famous/popular selections like they've been lately.

Some interesting stuff suggested already, but never one to miss a chance to recommend Ronald Malfi, I nominate Snow.
Snow by Ronald Malfi

I also second The Winter People.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I third The Shining by Stephen King.

message 43: by Tom (last edited Dec 17, 2018 07:32PM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 129 comments Based on Char's review of a book that has long been on my TBR list, I would like to recommend The Ballad of Black Tom. Here is Char's review:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I reread the theme and I don't know if this has anything to do with winter. I'll let Char judge whether or not it is appropriate.

message 44: by AP (new)

AP Vrdoljak The Shining. All that snow with nowhere else to go.

message 45: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 31 comments Alan wrote: "Some interesting stuff suggested already, but never one to miss a chance to recommend Ronald Malfi, I nominate Snow."

I almost nominated Snow, but I don't own a copy, so I went with the book I own for my nom. :)

Tom wrote: "Based on Char's review of a book that has long been on my TBR list, I would like to recommend The Ballad of Black Tom. Here is Char's review:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/268..."

The Ballad of Black Tom is an excellent novella (as is his novel The Changeling), but sadly, The Ballad of Black Tom is not set in winter. In fact, I recall having a "hot" feeling whilst reading it, which makes me think it was set during summer months. Char will set the record straight, I'm sure.

message 46: by laqueus (new)

laqueus | 3 comments The Hunger - Alma Katsu
Hell House - Richard Matheson
The Thing - Alan Dean Foster

message 47: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Dees | 122 comments the black tattoo by Sam Enthoven

message 48: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 158 comments Lance wrote: "Ararat by Christopher Golden I've been wanting to read this one for a while. I've heard great things."

I just finished and it was really good so I'll +1 it for others to experience

message 49: by Char (last edited Dec 18, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Head's up!

The Terror is out as we read it as a group earlier this year.
Chills is also out as we read that as a group as well within the last year.

Lastly, thanks so much Tom, for linking my review, (and believe me, I would love to draw more attention to this awesome novella), but
THE BALLAD OF BLACK TOM is also out, since it's not a winter tale.

I'm still trying to figure out if Lot Lizards is set during the winter months.

Anyone who nominated the books above, please feel free to nominate others instead!

message 50: by Char (new)

laqueus wrote: "The Hunger - Alma Katsu
Hell House - Richard Matheson
The Thing - Alan Dean Foster"

I'm knocking HELL HOUSE out of contention because I don't believe it was set in the winter? If I'm wrong about that, let me know and I'll add it back in.

Feel free to nominate one more, Iaqueus!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.