Books of Literature by Nobel Prize Winning Authors: 2020 Challenge discussion

10 books in 1 year challenge > Rosemarie Platinum (Final Year)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie (last edited Dec 17, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I plan to read some lighter books this year for a really fun challenge.

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I plan to read some lighter books this year for a really fun challenge."

Sounds a good idea :)

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments In addition, I may choose books that are uplifting or that I really want to share with other readers.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The Silver Chalice is a historical novel that takes place during the early days of Christianity.
I really enjoyed the story, the characters and the uplifting message of this book.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 39 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The Silver Chalice is a historical novel that takes place during the early days of Christianity.
I really enjoyed the story, the characters and the uplifting message of this book."

I saw the movie many years ago and remember it as Paul Newman's first movie.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have never seen the movie, but it must have been made in the 1950's.

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 39 comments The book was 1952 and the movie followed shortly after in 1954.
The movie is not considered to be very good. I don't remember it that well, just a vision of Paul Newman in 1st Century garb. He played Basil.
The book looks pretty long.

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The book is long. I think he was miscast as Basil.
I know the movie Quo Vadis is not that good either, despite the cast.

message 10: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Mutiny on the Bounty by Charles Bernard Nordhoff was a very enjoyable read. The story is told by a fictional narrator, who was a midshipman on the Bounty.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 39 comments Curious, I checked and found that both the 1935 (Gable/Laughton) and 1962 (Brando/Howard) movies called Mutiny on the Bounty were based on this book, co-authored by James Norman Hall.
The 1982 (Gibson/Hopkins) movie is based on a non-fiction history by Richard Hough called Captain Bligh & Mr. Christian. It is considered more accurate, as it should be since the other 2 versions are based on a work of fiction and don't claim to be 100% accurate.
This novel sounds interesting.

message 12: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I really enjoyed it, especially the parts in Tahiti. The narrator is a likeable character.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Postern of Fate is the final book in the Tommy and Tuppence series. They are now ready to enjoy retirement in the country when they get mixed up in a mystery relating to their new house. I enjoyed this one a lot. It was a different kind of mystery, but also very clever.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 39 comments Ms. Christie has many series I wasn't aware of. While you enjoyed the book, I was surprised to see that Postern of Fate had the average rating of 3.23 stars, pretty low, especially for a Christie mystery. Nice cover with the rocking horse.

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments It is a fairly low key mystery and it really helps if you have read the N or M? before reading this one.

message 16: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments His Last Bow is a collection of eight entertaining mysteries, featuring the brilliant Sherlock Holmes and the amiable Doctor Watson.

message 17: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers is the first of the Charlie Chan detective novels, set in Hawaii.
The main character in this book is a young man sent to Hawaii to bring is aunt back to Boston, but finds himself involved in a murder mystery and a charming romance.
It was a really fun read.

message 18: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The First Men in the Moon by H.G. Wells is one of his lighter science fiction novels, for the most part.

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The Heart of the Matter was not a fun read, in fact, it was a sad book. I am using it since it is part of the Penguin Great Books of then20th Century series.
Greene writes well as usual, and succeeds in creating the oppressive atmosphere surrounding Scobie.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Reynolds | 39 comments The Heart of the Matter is the highest ranked Greene on the Modern Library 100 English language novels of the 20th century but there are several other Greene's I prefer.

I hadn't heard of the Penguin book series but, since I'm a sucker for lists, I looked at it and see I've read all the listed books except for Swann's Way,and the other stories besides Metamorphosis. Someday I'll read Swann's Way, but I think I put it off because I feel like I should read the entire series, so I don't start.

message 21: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I actually like some of his other novels better too. This was a pretty grim read overall, but he did create a memorable character in Scobie.

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein is the best science fiction book I have in a long time, other than Dune.

message 23: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Watchmen took me completely out of my comfort zone. It was a dark but fascinating read.

message 24: by Brian (last edited Jun 03, 2019 08:49PM) (new)

Brian Reynolds | 39 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Watchmen took me completely out of my comfort zone. It was a dark but fascinating read."

I read Watchman. I was a comic book fan, as were my brothers, and 2 of my sons enjoy the comics, superhero and graphic novel scene. One of them gave it to me as a present so I read it, and then saw the movie. While they were both OK, I have lost most of my desire for superhero-type/fantasy stories. Hence the 2 star rating. I felt similar about the Hitchhiker Guide books and movie.
I may try the Good Omens TV series, though, as my 2 sons love it and I try to keep up with things to talk about with them.

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Postern of Fate is the final book in the Tommy and Tuppence series. They are now ready to enjoy retirement in the country when they get mixed up in a mystery relating to their new hou..."

I really enjoyed this one too. I read a lot of Christie this year.

message 26: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I borrowed the book from one of my daughters, who is really into graphic novels at the moment.
I loved the DC comics as a kid.

message 27: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 is a wonderful middle grade book that takes place for the most part in Flint, Michigan.

Nostalgia note: they mention the Windsor radio station that I listened to as a teenager because it had the best mix of music CKLW

message 28: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments I have now completed the four year challenge!

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter (slawophilist) Rosemarie wrote: "I have now completed the four year challenge!"

Congratulations, Rosemarie. What an achievement!

message 30: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Thank you, Peter. I can't believe how quickly they have passed.

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) Rosemarie wrote: "I have now completed the four year challenge!"

Congratulations!

message 32: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Thank you, Joseph!

message 33: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 365 comments Great work Rosemarie.

I will be posting all the books that have been read on the bookshelf and will keep the group open for those who want to read comments or do the challenge themselves.

Thank you so much for doing this challenge with me; with your enthusiasm and dedication, it has made this so very worthwhile.

message 34: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 263 comments Thank you! And thank you for creating the challenge, Tracey. It's been a fun and worthwhile experience.