Something Old

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
Post here about your old books!

message 2: by Dayna (new)

Dayna | 2 comments Mod
I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for something old, mostly by accident. I wanted something to read at my Grandma's and didn't feel like taking Revolting Prostitutes, which I'm currently reading.

But now I'm kind of into it and might read the series...except there is no Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in this house. :(

message 3: by Ava (new)

Ava | 7 comments I'm listening to The Odyssey for something old. I heard about this new translation from the Nerdette podcast earlier this year. So far I really like the fast pace of the translation and the meter. It just sounds good to my ears. The note before the text was quite long, but I really enjoyed hearing some insight from the translator, Emily Wilson.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 18 comments Mod
Ava wrote: "I'm listening to The Odyssey for something old. I heard about this new translation from the Nerdette podcast earlier this year. So far I really like the fast pace of the translation and the meter. ..."

Ava, let us know what you think! I read an interview somewhere with the translator for this, and it made me excited to read The Odyssey again (never thought I would say that lol)

message 5: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Speight Emily wrote: "Ava wrote: "I'm listening to The Odyssey for something old. I heard about this new translation from the Nerdette podcast earlier this year. So far I really like the fast pace of the translation and..."

Yes!! I've been loosely following this translation too and am excited to hear what you think. The audio concept makes tackling The Odyssey again actually sound.... fun? Like that long yarn is MEANT to be read aloud, I feel

message 6: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Speight Dayna wrote: "I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for something old, mostly by accident. I wanted something to read at my Grandma's and didn't feel like taking Revolting Prostitutes, which I'm currently..."

oh no what a tragic state of affairs :(

message 7: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Speight I'm using this challenge to power through the Little Women series as it's sat on my unread shelf foreeeeever and I've only ever read the first 2 (and possibly only an abridged version, I don't remember) sooooo I'm counting the 2nd book "Good Wives" (yuck) as my Something Old. Especially since I read it online via gutenberg free books because I don't own a copy and it is SO old that it's public domain #bless

message 8: by Ava (new)

Ava | 7 comments Amelia wrote: "Emily wrote: "Ava wrote: "I'm listening to The Odyssey for something old. I heard about this new translation from the Nerdette podcast earlier this year. So far I really like the fast pace of the t..."

I finished it this morning and I really enjoyed it. The audio format made it so easy to get through and was fun.

I highly recommend reading the entire translator note in the beginning, though it is long. I listen on 1.5x speed, and it was still around 2 hours! I enjoyed hearing some thought behind her choices. For example, she covered why she kept the translation the same exact length of the original, why she wrote in iambic pentameter, and explained some of the repetitive language she used. I think that this insight really added to my reread.