Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > Amy's AtY 2019 is Complete!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by °~Amy~° (last edited Aug 25, 2019 04:59PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments > - Books on deck to read
- Completed

✔1. A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy  Binti Hugo and Nebula Winner
✔2. A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why) The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Young Readers Edition
✔3. A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y  Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
✔4. A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc) Red Seas Under Red Skies
✔5. A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare Hag-Seed The Tempest
✔6. A book with a dual timeline  The Name of the Wind
✔7. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #1 EMP
✔8. 2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme: Book #2 EMP: Heading Home
✔9. A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)  Beacon 23 sci-fi
✔10. A book featuring an historical figure - Number the Stars (Christian X)
✔11. A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)  Animal Farm
✔12. A book about reading, books or an author/writer - Haunted
✔13. A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list - The Wind in the Willows (December 19, 2017)
✔14. A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term  The Martian Chronicles
✔15. A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country  The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel
✔16. A book told from multiple perspectives  - War Dragons
✔17. A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia) - Old Man's War
✔18. A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements  Thunderhead (Character named after Marie Curie)
✔19. A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR The Ghost Brigades
✔20. A book featuring indigenous people of a country Sirena: A Mermaid Legend from Guam
✔21. A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes  Mono No Awareless than 200 pages
✔/B>22. A book with a number in the title or on the cover Jonathan Livingston Seagull
✔23. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old - The Red Pony
✔24. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New Doctor Who: Now We Are Six Hundred: A Collection of Time Lord Verse
✔25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed - Down Among the Sticks and Bones (borrowed characters)
✔26. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue - The Slow Regard of Silent Things
✔27. A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list The Great Gatsby
✔28. A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.) The Con Before Christmas
✔29. A book published before 1950 - The Last Drop (originally published stories from the 1940's)
✔30. A book featuring an elderly character  -Nightflyers: The Illustrated Edition
✔31. A children’s classic you’ve never read  The Little Prince Deluxe Pop-Up Book
✔32. A book with more than 500 pages  Prelude to Foundation
✔33. A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon
✔34. A book with a person's name in the title  - The Invention of Hugo Cabret
✔35. A psychological thriller - The Grown Up

✔36. A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list - Boxers
✔37. A book set in a school or university - The Wise Man's Fear
✔38. A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc) - The Encyclopedia of Early Earth
✔39. A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life Annihilation
✔40. A book you stumbled upon  - Dujonian's Hoard

✔41. A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards Hey, Kiddo (graphic novel)
✔42. A book with a monster or "monstrous" character - Eliza and Her Monsters
✔43. A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) [fiction or nonfiction] Everything I Never Told You
✔44. A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.) The Perks of Being a Wallflower (a movie and a coming of age theme ie Breakfast Club, etc.)

✔45. A multi-generational saga  The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
✓46. A book with a (mostly) black cover - Epileptic
✓47. A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.) - Seconds
✔48. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year  American Born Chinese

✔49. A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country  - The Strange Library : Haruki Murakami
✔50. A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual)  - Home
✔51. A book published in 2019 - A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
✔52. A book with a weird or intriguing title - The Wind Whales of Ishmael

message 2: by °~Amy~° (last edited Aug 25, 2019 05:01PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments 2019 Popsugar Reading Challenge (Completed 26/50)

1. A book becoming a movie in 2019 - The Hidden Staircase
✓2. A book that makes you nostalgic - His Day Is Done: A Nelson Mandela Tribute
✓3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction) - Amy the Dancing Bear : Carly Simon
✓4. A book you think should be turned into a movie - Morning ChildMorning Child
5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads
✔6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover - River Road
✓7. A reread of a favorite book - Head Games
8. A book about a hobby
✓9. A book you meant to read in 2018 - Crown of Shadows
10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title
✓11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover - The Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen
12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore -
13. A book published posthumously
✔14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie- WILDCARD - Garbage Night
✔15. A retelling of a classic - The Shadow Out of Time (HP Lovecraft adaptation)
16. A book with a question in the title
17. A book set on college or university campus
✓18. A book about someone with a superpower - Keys to the Kingdom
19. A book told from multiple POVs
✓20. A book set in space - Legends of Zita the Spacegirl
21. A book by two female authors
22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title
23. A book set in Scandinavia
✓24. A book that takes place in a single day - Doctor Who: Dr. Thirteenth
25. A debut novel
✓26. A book that's published in 2019 - Memento
✓27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature - Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire
✓28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire - In The City of Martyrs
✓29. A book with LOVE in the title -Welcome to Lovecraft
✓30. A book featuring an amateur detective - Earthquake in the Early Morning
✔31. A book about a family - A Christmas Memory
32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America
✔33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title - Locke & Key: Heaven and Earth
34. A book that includes a wedding
35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter
✓36. A ghost story -Clockworks
37. A book with a two-word title -
38. A novel based on a true story -
39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game
✔40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challenge (2017 A book with a cat on the cover) - Blueprint for Disaster: A Get Fuzzy Collection

Advanced:
✔41. A "cli-fi" (climate fiction) book - The New Atlantis
42. A "choose-your-own-adventure" book
43. An "own voices" book
✔44. Read a book during the season it is set in - Alpha & Omega
45. A LitRPG book
46. A book with no chapters / unusual chapter headings / unconventionally numbered chapters -
47. Two books that share the same title
48. Two books that share the same title
49. A book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom
50. A book set in an abbey, cloister, monastery, vicarage, or convent

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 982 comments Lots of Dr. Who! I'm going to keep track and see how you like them. I might use one for the favourite series prompt. Are you going to watch the New Year's Special tonight? :)

message 4: by °~Amy~° (last edited Aug 28, 2019 09:28AM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments 2019 Rejects challenge (Work In Progress)

--- Inside (location, characters, time period) ---

Completed Tasks:
3 * A book with a story trope you love or hate A Christmas Memory
5 * A book set after a time of war The Last Colony
6 * A book featuring an ancient civilization The New Atlantis
7 * A book about a dog Blueprint for Disaster: A Get Fuzzy Collection
9 * A book dealing with memory (amnesia, eidetic memory, PTSD etc.) The Shadow Out of Time
11 * A book with an abduction or a kidnapping Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time
12 * A book with a non traditional family River Road
13 * A book that's sad, depressing, devastating or dark Crown of Shadows
14 * A book based on a "classic" monster (eg. vampire, mummy, zombie) Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire
18 * A book with a rare kind of hero Alpha & Omega
19 * A book where the main character is a psychic, medium, clairvoyant or empath The Memory Game
21 * A book in which faith/religion plays an integral role in the plot or the life of a main character. Night
23 * A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity Clockworks
25 * A book where the protagonist enters another world Locke & Key: Small World
30 * A portal fiction (i.e. a book that has a magical/technological doorway or portal) Locke & Key: Heaven and Earth
31 * A book by or about a real hero/heroine of yours His Day Is Done: A Nelson Mandela Tribute
32 * A book about someone with your dream job (realistic or fantastical) Doctor Who: Dr. Thirteenth
36 * A book about royalty (fiction or non-fiction) In The City of Martyrs
38 * A book that spans a week or less Morning Child
39 * A book written by a man with a female main character or written by a woman with a male main character Legends of Zita the Spacegirl
40 * A book featuring a character with a mental, physical or learning disability Head Games
48 * A book connected to a dwelling (i.e. a palace/castle, hut, cardboard box, etc.)  Welcome to Lovecraft
49 * A book about a disaster Earthquake in the Early Morning
50 * A fiction or nonfiction book where music plays a part in the story Amy the Dancing Bear
52 * A book involving a lie The Adventures of Baron Münchausen
53 * A book with an ensemble cast Keys to the Kingdom
55 * A book with an unusual narrator, or told from an unusual point of view (i.e. a child, an animal, an inanimate object, etc.)  Garbage Night

Still to do:
1 * A book with an occupation in the title or a book in which a person's occupation is central to the plot A funny thing happened on the way to the Future
2 * A book about the arts 20th Century Ghosts
4 * A book related to your zodiac sign
8 * A book about a serial killer
10 * A book you'd recommend to a fictional character you like Frankenstein
15 * A book about the expatriate experience (characters living abroad and away from their home countries) To be taught, if fortunate
16 * A book that takes place (mainly) on a mode of transport
17 * A book about someone that you'd like to have dinner with
20 * A book inspired by a fairy tale or a book told from the perspective of a villain from a fairy tale
22 * A book related to Arthurian legend
24 * A book with an LGBTQ+ character or author
26 * A book with an epigraph 
27 * A book set in the city, state or area where you grew up
28 * A book in translation originally written in a language you haven't read a translation from before
29 * A book with a character who has the same personality type as you
33 * A book featuring a Disney character
34 * A book with a circus/carnival/amusement park setting
35 * A book set in extreme weather (cold, heat, rain, drought, etc.)
37 * A book about a person who travels to another country as a vacationer, an expatriate, an immigrant, or a refugee
41 * A book about a cult or a group of people (Fiction or Non-fiction) A War of Gifts
42 * A book featuring a character with a job or profession you aspired to when you were a child
43 * A book about or related to a conspiracy theory
44 * A book that involves another world or planet or realm Another Life
45 * A book about an unlikely friendship The Silent Boy
46 * A book not originally written in your mother tongue
47 * A book with a race in it, for example: (i.e. car race, horse race, foot race, boot race, even an electoral race)
51 * A book set in a small town or village
54 * A book set in or about a country or place that no longer exists

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments January Wrap-up:

I made HUGE changes to my plan over the course of the month. First, instead of pre-planning everything, knowing it was going to change as the year goes on anyway, I decided to make a TBR jar to help pick my reads. I will plug books into the challenges as I pull them out of the jar. I am hoping that this will help me to read more of my back log of books that I own and make choosing my next read less stressful. I've picked two books randomly from the TBR jar so far and was very excited by both choices so it's going well so far.

Another change to my plan is that graphic novels and short stories (under 100 pages) are going to count toward Popsugar, everything else will count for the AtY challenge. Anything that doesn't fit in either challenge will be used for a rejects challenge that I have not created yet. And now for my real wrap-up:

In January I read six books, 4 for AtY and 2 for Popsugar

5 stars:
Binti

4 stars:
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Beacon 23
Morning Child
Doctor Who: Dr. Thirteenth

3 stars:
none

2 stars:
Annihilation (HUGE disappointement!)

1 stars:
none

Currently Reading:
Prelude to Foundation (AtY)
Earthquake in the Early Morning (PS)

message 6: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments I am also tracking my AtY reading challenge over on Instagram if anyone is interested. My user name is Amybooksit.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna | 982 comments Great month, Amy. All those 4-5 star reads! :)

message 8: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Anna wrote: "Great month, Amy. All those 4-5 star reads! :)"

It started off slow and nearly ended on a sour note (Annihilation) but I snuck in one more 5 star read at the last moment. Overall, I am very pleased. :-)

message 9: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Very poor reading month. I didn't get a lot read. What's to blame?Weather? Family commitments? Family drama? Just plain lazy? All of the above? Oh well, on to a brighter March (Hopefully!)

In February I read 5 books, 3 for AtY and 2 for Popsugar

5 stars:
Prelude to Foundation

4 stars:
Home
Earthquake in the Early Morning

3 stars:
Blueprint for Disaster: A Get Fuzzy Collection
Haunted

2 stars:
none

1 stars:
none

Currently Reading:
Head On
A Christmas Memory
River Road

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments How was Hey, Kiddo? I've been debating adding it to my TBR.

message 12: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Rachel wrote: "How was Hey, Kiddo? I've been debating adding it to my TBR."

I loved it. Highly recommended!

message 13: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments April Wrap-up:

Ok, I only read one book in April. To be fair, it was a doorstop, The Name of the Wind with 722 pages AND it was a 5 star read. I also read quite a bit of the second book in the series, The Wise Man's Fear which is a WHOPPING 1107 pages. I didn't finish it until May though so we'll talk about that in a couple of weeks. Now, back to reading before my lunch break is over. :)

Happy Spring everyone!

message 14: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments May Wrap-up:

There is another day and a half left of May but I wanted to get a tiny jump on the May wrap-up before I forget (again!) I am currently reading a very short novella that I will most likely finish tonight. I will start another short book afterwards to read during my travels tomorrow. On Saturday June 1st I hope to start reading for the AtY Summer reading challenge. We will see how well I keep up with that! So, on with the May stats:

14 books, 11 for AtY and 3 for Popsugar

5 Stars:
None

4 Stars:
The Wise Man's Fear
Everything I Never Told You
The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Amy the Dancing Bear
The Strange Library
Down Among the Sticks and Bones
Seconds
Boxers
The Last Drop

3 stars:
The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
EMP: Heading Home
EMP

2 Stars:
A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World

1 Star:
None

Currently Reading:
The New Atlantis - I will probably finish this one tonight

message 15: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Annnnnd, I forgot to do my end of month wrap-up again lol

It felt like I made a lot of headway on the AtY and the Popsugar challenge this month. I still won't be done AtY by the end of July as I am most years but I am fine with that. By now I usually only have 2 or 3 books done for Popsugar and I am far beyond that at the moment. I am pretty please with my progress overall. So here is the breakdown:

Read:
16 books, 7 for AtY and 9 for Popsugar

5 Star
The Little Prince Deluxe Pop-Up Book
Alpha & Omega
Clockworks
The Red Pony
Welcome to Lovecraft
Head Games

4 Star:
Eliza and Her Monsters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Locke & Key: Heaven and Earth
Keys to the Kingdom
Crown of Shadows

3 Star:
War Dragons
Epileptic
Nightflyers
Garbage Night
The New Atlantis

And NO 1 or 2 star books this month! Woohoo!

I have already read two books for July but most currently I am reading The Wind in the Willows. There is a 24b4Monday challenge happening in the AtY group this weekend so I am hopeful that I can get a LOT of reading done over the next two days. Unfortunately, I am leaving for work in a few minutes so that restricts me just a bit. That's alright, I'll just stay up all night reading again, just like I did last night. Sleep is highly overrated :)

message 16: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments 17 days late but here we go.....

In July I read 10 books, all for the AtY Challenge, 7 of which counted toward the AtY Summer Challenge as well

5 star reads:
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Young Readers Edition
Number the Stars
Old Man's War

4 star reads:
The Ghost Brigades
The Wind in the Willows
Hag-Seed

3 star reads:
Strange the Dreamer
The Wind Whales of Ishmael
Dujonian's Hoard
Doctor Who: Now We Are Six Hundred: A Collection of Time Lord Verse

And no 2 or 1 star reads! Woot!

So far in August I have read 1 book. Not a great start but here's to hoping the rest of the month gets better (and maybe to completing AtY for 2019!)

message 17: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments So this was a great month for tying up loose ends! I was able to complete the second round of the AtY Summer Challenge AND drumroll please, I completed the 2019 AtY challenge!!!! So excited. Honestly I was getting a little frustrated with seeing these same prompts over and over and not feeling like I was gaining on them. Usually I am done in July. I felt (irrationally) so far behind. But it's over now so woohoo!

I've also done some soul searching this month and decided that my heart was really NOT into the 2019 Popsugar challenge this year. This will be the first time not participating in PS in......well, a very long time. I've decided instead to do a bit larger rejects challenge to finish out the year. It's been quite freeing making that decision and I am starting to feel excited about my reading again, which I had not in a few weeks.

Now, on to my August wrap-up:

In August I read 10 books

5 stars:
Doctor Who Archives: Prisoners of Time Omnibus
Thunderhead

4 stars:
Locke & Key: Small World
Night
The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel
The Great Gatsby
American Born Chinese
Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon

3 stars:
The Memory Game
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (reread)

And no 2 or 1 star books, which is always a relief!

September is looking like it will be a great reading month with the rejects challenge ahead of me. I will also be participating in the SFF180 Space Opera readathon and the Aty Fall/Autumn challenge. It should be a busy month, but also a fun one!

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2219 comments Congrats on finishing, Amy!

message 19: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Kathy wrote: "Congrats on finishing, Amy!"

Thank you Kathy!

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna | 982 comments Congratulations, Amy!

message 21: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Anna wrote: "Congratulations, Amy!"

Thank you Anna!