Safety in numbers, never go into a book alone. #Group Reads discussion

Extra Conversations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Hollie (last edited Dec 20, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Hollie Law | 249 comments Mod
This thread is for anything that anybody wants to talk about really, any ideas or suggestions that you might like to put forward for example, or if you see that another member has read a book that you have also read you can discus it here. (Please do not forget the rules.)

message 2: by Hollie (new)

Sara I see that you have read the “a court of thorns and roses series” I loved the 1st book but wasn’t so keen on the rest.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments I haven't read the rest if the series yet, but they're good books. I would reread then again just to get the idea of the plot one more time.

message 4: by Hollie (new)

And Shawnda, I have very nearly finished “The death of Mrs Westaway, I noticed that you have read this one. I have REALLY enjoyed it so far! Has kept me guessing all the way through. I can’t stand it when a book is predictable, I love a big twist! Has anyone read “Shutter Island” by Dennis Lehane? I can recommend it!! So good! Especially if you love an ending with a twist!

message 5: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Hollie wrote: "And Shawnda, I have very nearly finished “The death of Mrs Westaway, I noticed that you have read this one. I have REALLY enjoyed it so far! Has kept me guessing all the way through. I can’t stand ..."
I did enjoy The Death of Mrs. Westaway I spent the majority trying to figure out what was going on and was glad I couldn't figure it out :D I have read Shutter Island many years ago and it was one of those that leave me going what the heck lol.

message 6: by Hollie (new)

If there was ever a book that made my jaw hit the floor at the end, it’s Shutter Island! Lol x

message 7: by Hollie (new)

Sara as you have made such a good effort in getting involved in the January group read, even though it was not your prefered genre, would you like to choose the group read book for February? How about a Fantasy title this time as I remember you saying that this is one of the genres that you enjoy reading, Let me know the Title and the author of your chosen book should you wish to do this, and I will add it to the monthly book schedule. If possible your chosen book will not be part of a series.

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments oh my god i feel so honored! thank you so much! i was actually looking through some books that i would think would fit and found The Beast Player. one of my friends recommended the book and i heard it's a good book. it's a young adult fantasy story, so i hope that's okay. again, thank you so much for allowing me to choose!

message 9: by Hollie (new)

No probs! The beast player it is! X

message 10: by Hollie (new)

Jose, since you said that you like reading books of the romance genre that also include a bit of drama and action, I have been rumaging through my brain trying to remember the name of the book that you saying this reminded me of! Then it finally came to me: Until we meet again by Renee Collins. Going by the type of books that you have said that you like to read, I think that you would really enjoy this book. If you get chance to read this one, let me know what you think.

message 11: by Jose (new)

Jose Larios (thelegendofjose) Thanks for the recommendation Hollie! The book looks interesting and i will definitely give it a read. Also, although I said my go to genre is romance, if you(or anyone else) has a book they'd like to recommend me go for it!

message 12: by Hollie (new)

HAPPY WORLD BOOK DAY EVERYONE!!!! 📚🤗

message 13: by Hollie (new)

Did you ask your daughter if she would like to choose the book for April Shawnda? How are you both getting on with Misery? X

message 14: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Yes I actually meant to message you last night but we had bad storms where I live and got sidetracked. She suggested “The girl with all the gifts” M.R. CArey or “I hunt killers” Barry Lyga so you can pick one of those titles or choose something else we will find something to read together we always do lol. Thanks for letting us be involved though so kind.

message 15: by Hollie (new)

Thankfully we never have really bad storms here in England, I hope all is ok now. And no problem, this group is not only about all of you being introduced to new books but me also! And it’s so nice to see young people who appreciate books! I hadn’t heard of either of those titles. How about we go with “The girl with all the gifts.” Tell your daughter that it looks like a great choice and Thank you both for getting so involved in this group! X

message 16: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Yes we are fine it’s Tornado season aka “Spring” here in the Midwest. I love spending time with her and being able to do something we both love together is even better. I love encouraging her to read it is one of my biggest pleasures as her mother :) Excited to finish Misery with her though she is really enjoying it so far

message 17: by Hollie (new)

Dana I have just had a nosey through your “read book shelf” I see that you have read a lot of V.C Andrews, I absolutely LOVED the Dollanganger series!! But soon after I read “My sweet Audrina” which I have to say I thought was a huge disappointment compared to the Dollanganger Series!

It’s lovely to see children’s books on your list such as Roald Dahl’s BFG! For years I have been meaning to read the Narnia Chronicles, maybe we will have a month where a couple of children’s books are chosen (I say a couple because most of the time they are a lot shorter than adult books).

I also saw that you have read S.J Watson’s Before I Go To Sleep, I really enjoyed this one! But I noticed that you have only given it 2 stars so maybe it wasn’t your cup of tea.

You have some really great books in your list!

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments I do really like VC Andrews, I have most of the books. Some are a hit and others are a miss for me though so I totally understand where you’re coming from. I think it would be fun to do some of the children’s books it’s always nice to go back and read the books that got us started in loving to read in the first place. Honestly with Before I go to Sleep it just was too slow for me, I felt it dragged on and then after the first couple chapters it felt repetitive and it just didn’t do it for me. I know others who loved it though. I love going through others read and to be read list! I get a lot of new books to add to my own lists that way!

message 19: by Hollie (new)

Hi everyone, just a quick question: Do we have any Harry Potter fans here? I’m really hoping so because last week I was lucky enough to visit “The Making Of Harry Potter Warner Brothers Studio” in London and ever since then I have wanted to re-experience the magic of the book series which I read years ago. This will obviously be spread over quite a few months here at “Safety in numbers” So I just would like to hear your thoughts on the idea of plunging into a saga together rather than just a book. Also if any of you know of any younger readers who would like to get involved in this specific adventure as we share our thoughts and feelings along the way. Please feel free. Or maybe you know of someone who has not yet discovered the Magic of reading and you can transform them into bookworms! I have heard about so many non-readers have grown to love reading and it all started with this series!

message 20: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments I loooove Harry Potter and actually recently had the thought that I should re-read them again soon, as it's been several years for me now. So, this is a perfect suggestion from my end!

message 21: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments I LOVE Harry Potter! I usually re-read them every couple years and it’s been probably 3-4 since I last did that so this would be fun to do as a group read!

message 22: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Hi all! I am planning to read Lincoln in the Bardo in November. I just ordered it yesterday so it should be here next week. Is anyone interested in joining me in that? And if so, Hollie would you set it up as a group ready for November? I also plan to read the first Harry Potter book if you are planning that for November as well. ... is it ok to have more than one group read in a month?

message 23: by Hollie (new)

Of course Dana, I shall create a discussion thread for that book right now, as always please feel free to invite anyone into the group who you think may enjoy it. If anyone else has a book that they would like to read as a group rather than on their own please let me know and I will add it to the book schedule and create a discussion thread for it. There is no limit to the amount of books per month.

message 24: by Hollie (new)

I just want to say that yes we are reading the Harry Potter series at the month but I understand that Harry Potter is not for everyone and that this is going to take a few months for us to get through. So if anyone has any other books of any genres they would like to read as a group rather than alone please let me know and I will make monthly discussion threads for these books.

message 25: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments Sorry I've been unable to participate in any of the recent reads! I was especially excited about Harry Potter...but unfortunately, work has been far too busy for me since November to do any new reading besides a super short story last week. I'll be back on top of my reading game and ready to catch up with you guys in the new year! Just wanted to quickly update in case anyone was wondering why I'd dropped off the face of the planet, haha. :)

message 26: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Kendra I was just thinking if you today! The group is quiet without you! But I’m excited to get back to reading together next year. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

message 27: by Hollie (new)

There you are Kendra! Don’t work too hard, remember how important it is to make time for yourself (not always easy I know). Have a lovely Christmas and will look forward to reading with you in the new year x

message 28: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments Thanks so much you guys! :) I hope you have the most wonderful holidays too!

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Hi all! I hope everyone's holidays have been lovely. I am looking forward to starting the 3rd Harry Potter book next week, but I'm also looking for something else to read to start the new year off. Does anyone else have anything they would like to read as a group? Did you all gets books for holiday gifts? I got 4 new books, and I am so excited for them. I got Surviving the Angel of Death The True Story of a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz by Eva Mozes Kor , The American Heiress & The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin , Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield and Auschwitz Lullaby by Mario Escobar

message 30: by Hollie (new)

Hi! I hope you had a lovely Christmas everyone! I did! Yes I got 3 books as gifts Dana, and also bought a few books for people as gifts. Unfortunately I only have time to read one book per month at the moment. Which books did you get? And more Kate Morton? X

message 31: by Hollie (new)

I got bought a Kate Morton book!: The forgotten garden. It looks so good x

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments I did have a great Christmas, thank you! I didn't get any Kate Morton books, however I do have The Forgotten Garden and I'd love to read it this year! Maybe we can set it up as a monthly group read after we finish the Harry Potter Series. The books that I got are Auschwitz Lullaby by Mario Escobar, The American Heiress & The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin, Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield and Surviving the Angel of Death by Eva Mozes Kor.

message 33: by Hollie (new)

We will definitely set “The Forgotten Garden” as a group read after the Harry Potter series! I will save it especially to read with you Dana! : ) x

message 34: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments That sounds great! I would love to read it together, her books are so good and it's so fun to hear others theories throughout her books. I also got another one of her books a few months ago called The Clockmaker's Daughter that I plan to read this year sometime as well.

message 35: by Dana (last edited Feb 02, 2020 03:02PM) (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments I just finished Once Upon a River by Dianne Setterfield and I really enjoyed it. It's one of the books I got for Christmas and it was truly a good read. It pulled me in, and it had me constantly questioning and guessing things. Of all the different theories and questions I had throughout the book, there was only 1 I got right and I am happy about that. It follows the lives of a few different people / families and they are all intertwined, it magical and I highly recommend it to you ladies. I think you would like it, especially if you liked the Kate Morton book we read last year, you will like this one.

message 36: by Hollie (new)

Hi Dana, as I read your post it made me think of the Kaye Morton book we read, will definitely keep this book in mind for the future. Thanks for recommending.

message 37: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments I just added it to my "want to read"--thanks for the recommendation! It sounds really good.

message 38: by Hollie (new)

Hi! Soo... for those of you that know ... for a while now I have been in the process of writing a children’s book dedicated to my little boy Alfie...... well it is now published and is available to buy on amazon. (See Link) If any of you would like to help with advertising by forwarding this link on your social media. I would be forever grateful. Also to my goodreads friends in America, I would really like to get my book into your book stores and libraries. I am in the process of researching how I go about making this happen. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it! Thankyou. Hollie xxx
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dream-Mrs-Ho...

message 39: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments That's wonderful, Holly! Congratulations on getting published!! The book looks beautiful, super cute, and helpful. :) I am in America and unfortunately don't know enough about publishing here to be much help--but if I find anything I'll for sure let you know. And will definitely spread the word about it to my other UK friends/friends here when it gets to the states!

message 40: by Hollie (new)

Thankyou! X

message 41: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Hey All!! It's been super quiet in here and so I just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing? I hope all is well, and if not this is a safe space to talk if you need to, I am here to listen if anyone needs to talk. Also, for those who aren't participating in the Harry Potter monthly reading group, is there anyone who would like to do a group read on another book? I'm generally read 3-4 books a month so I can definitely read something different if anyone wants to read with a buddy.

message 42: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments Thanks Dana! I'm doing great but very busy with work (though still managed to finish the Goblet of Fire well before the end of the month, haha. I forget how quickly I can consume even the longest Harry Potters with just my lunchtime and bedtime reading...)

I'd love to do group reads on other books! I usually have several books going at once too. : ) The two I have planned so far for March are Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose by Rebekah Lyons and The Castle Mystery by Joyce Cato and Faith Martin. Both I got for free on Kindle, which I only use when traveling, so I'm planning to start them the second week of March when I'm on a family vacation.

I could do either or both as a group read, plus anything someone else has in mind too!

message 43: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Busy with work is a good thing! I've been meaning to text you because I am thinking about having a sign made for our house with our last name and then maybe some wildlife in the background like trees and flowers and animals. I'm thinking it would be really cool to have it made and then attach it to the house inside the porch. But I'd love it if you could custom make it for us once I get the measurements and everything! I want to surprise Chris with it.

I just looked into those books and I can't get either right now because 1 is just out of my book budget and the other isn't on thriftbooks. Plus I don't have a library card right now because with changing my address to Vermont but still primarily living in Massachusetts the local library wanted me to pay $100 to keep my card when I had to renew it and I just couldn't do it knowing I won't be there for a full year.

I have some books planned but don't know if I will get to all of them, and would definitely prioritize them if someone else wanted to read with me, but the books I'm planning on for March are:
Outlander by Diana Gabalon
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Asylum by Patrick McGrath
Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northup
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs

message 44: by Hollie (new)

Hi! What a lovely message Dana!! And I am sorry i have been quiet in here recently, I have just been so busy with home life and also going through the process of trying to get my book marketed at as many places as possible. I hope everything is going well with you. I am on page 199 of goblet of fire, so again you will all have to start next months book without me until I catch up. Am currently in the chapter of “The forbidden Curses” (a very very dark business) but deliciously dark for a reader like myself who likes a bit of doom and gloom in fiction lol. I have not yet read your most recent post on the “Goblet of fire” thread Dana as I will read it when I have finished the book and of course will reply to it then with my own thoughts and feelings. Kendra and Dana if you decide on a book/books you would both like to read, for March, let me know and I will create discussion threads for them. Xx

message 45: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments I can't wait to hear your thoughts about Goblet of Fire, Holly! I also enjoy the darkness of that one. :) I have to get around to sharing my thoughts about it on the thread too.

Dana, I'd be so excited to make a sign for you! The idea sounds so cute, and I know I'd love doing it. Text me any time! :)

I saw Memoirs of a Geisha on your list and would definitely be up for a group read of that one. I read it many years ago and remember really liking it (enough to buy it, although now my sister in TX is borrowing it indefinitely, haha). It's definitely due for a re-read and I'm sure I can get it at the library!

No worries at all on not being able to get the books I mentioned--the only reason I have them is they were free. Probably for the best too, as I don't know much about either of them..I'll let you know if they're any good!

message 46: by Hollie (new)

I have seen the film of memoirs of a geisha. Enjoy! Let me know if you would like to group read this one with Kendra Dana and if yes I will create a discussion thread x

message 47: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Ok sounds good! Memoirs of a Geisha looked really good, I feel like I started it years ago but just don't remember enough and then my mom recently helped my nana clean out her room and so I got all my nana's books and it was in there so I felt like it was sign I needed to read it. Just let me know when you are starting it and I'll start at the same time!

message 48: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Yes Hollie if you can create a discussion thread that would be wonderful! Thank you so much!

message 49: by Hollie (new)

Great!! I shall create you both a thread starting 1st March. X

message 50: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments Thanks Hollie!! Dana, I'll let you know when I start it. My guess is the 16th of March, when I get back from my trip.

« previous 1 3