Safety in numbers, never go into a book alone. #Group Reads discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hollie (new)

Hollie Law | 249 comments Mod
Welcome to Safety In Numbers! My name is Hollie, I live in England. I absolutely LOVE reading, especially when I have someone to share the experience of a book with. (This is the reason I created this group!) I hop from genre to genre depending on what mood I am in, not too keen on Horrors though as when it comes to turning out the lights at night my imagination seems to go into overdrive. LOL!

I hope that you enjoy being part of this group.

Lovely to meet you all!

message 2: by Hollie (new)

Hi Hitesh!

Welcome to Safety in numbers! I am thrilled that we have someone in the group all the way from India! And good for you to want to educate yourself further. I hope you enjoy being part of this book club! : )

message 3: by Hollie (new)

Do you have access to a library?

message 4: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Hi I live in the USA and I love, love, love to read! This year I exceeded my goal to read 40 books and hit the 50+ mark which means on average I have read a book per week. I love all genres and love to mix it up and read all types of different stories. I work in a library so so many books that catch my attention come across my desk each week so my list grows every day. I'm looking forward to getting to discuss the books we read. I love when I finish a good book and getting to talk about it with others, or a really bad one and I get to gripe about it :D

message 5: by Hollie (new)

Hi Shawnda! Welcome to “Safety In Numbers.” I would Love to work in a library one day! Where abouts in the USA are you from? Well done on reaching your book target that is an incredible amount of books! I read as much as I can around looking after my wonderful 9 month old baby boy. I hope you enjoy this group. The group read of “The Liars Wife” by Samantha Hayes will start on January 1st 2019! X

message 6: by Hollie (new)

I couldn’t have said it better myself Hitesh!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments hello. my name is sara and i like to read books. i live in the west coast of the united states and i only wish to broaden my reading horizons to various different books. so hopefully i'll get to have that experience with this book club.

message 8: by Hollie (new)

Welcome to safety in numbers Sara! Everyone say hi! I’m sure you will enjoy and benefit from being in this book club, thanks for joining! What genres do you enjoy reading or are looking to get into? I will do as much of a variety of genres as possible in this group. As you have probably seen we are starting with a thriller on 1st January. I hope you will come along on the adventure with us.

message 9: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments It’s so nice to meet everyone!! Welcome Hitesh and Sara. I live in the Midwest of the US so we get all 4 seasons here and right now it’s freezing! Working in a library is my dream job. I get paid to read and to pass on my love of reading with the kids that come in.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments hello to all! I'm actually more into the science fiction, fantasy, and young adult stories, so I plan to broaden my genres a little more. I've read thriller before and although it's not usually my taste, I will give this book a chance because it does seem interesting.

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hi there :-). Books are my friends and the idea of 1 book to focus on each month with others really pleases me. I will read any genre. I live in N East England. Looking forward to first book. Cheerio for now. Catherine

message 12: by Hollie (new)

Hi Catherine! Welcome to Safety in numbers! Right now we are reading “The Liar’s Wife” by Samantha Hayes (Easiest way to find a copy is e-book) if you want to catch up? If not will be starting our next group read on 1st February.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Remfry | 1 comments Hi, My name is Chris and I have been interested in joining a book club for some time but am a bit worried that I won't be able to keep up with the rest of the group as I don't have a great deal of time to read. I really liked the sound of The Liar's Wife so ordered it from my local library and it arrived yesterday. I have read 2 chapters so far and they have certainly been action packed! I am guessing the book has a domestic violence theme but as a good book can be unpredictable and have lots of twists I am looking forward to see how things progress.

message 14: by Hollie (new)

Hello Chris (This is my Mum everyone lol). You have got some catching up to do. But you have till the end of February before we all discuss the book properly so you have a while yet. x

message 15: by old acc (new)

old acc (andinnn) | 2 comments Hi! I'm Irem/Andi. I live in Turkey and am getting back into reading after a year long slump. I read more YA than I thought I did.

message 16: by Hollie (new)

Hi Andi, welcome to Safety in numbers! And I think everyone goes through phases of not reading for ages, then when they start again they tend to realise how much they missed it! So you just read ‘young adult’? Is that your favourite genre?

message 17: by old acc (new)

old acc (andinnn) | 2 comments I don't really have a fave, I read a lot of different stuff but there's a lot of YA fantasy on my shelves bc that's where the mythological/magic-y stuff I like is nowadays

message 18: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Hello nice to meet you Chris, Catherine and Andi! Welcome to the group

message 19: by Jose (new)

Jose Larios (thelegendofjose) Hey everyone, my names Jose and I'm from California. Readings always been a hobby of mine but I stopped reading books in 2012(read manga but that doesn't really count.) Romance is my go to genre as I'm a hopeless romantic. Love it when romance is mixed in with a good amount of action/drama, even some comedy. Hope to make friends with all of you and discuss books.

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments hello and welcome! it's nice to meet you, jose.

message 21: by Hollie (new)

Hi Jose, Welcome to Safety in numbers! I am so pleased that we are getting more and more readers in this group from all over the world! And I LOVE how books can bring people together like this! In this group we hop from genre to genre each month, this way I like to think that not only is there something for everyone, but it also encourages readers to give different genres a try and maybe even surprise theirselves by how much they enjoy a book that they would not necessarily have picked themselves had it not been for this group. As you may have noticed this months book is called “The Beast Player” which is of the fantasy genre, chosen by Sara (Thank you again Sara, I am really enjoying this book so far). The genre of March is Horror and the book will be “Misery” by Stephen King. But in the months following I can assure you that there will definitely be a romance and a comedy genre month. So keep an eye out for those in the “Book Schedule”. Once again welcome, and I really hope you enjoy the many adventures that lie ahead with us!

message 22: by Jose (new)

Jose Larios (thelegendofjose) Thanks for the welcome Sara and Hollie. Romance is just my go to genre but im
open to anything! Is it too late to join in on this months book?

message 23: by Hollie (new)

No never too late! Even if you are interested in books that we have read in previous months, each book discussion will always stay there and you can add your thoughts to them at any time!

message 24: by Kori (new)

Kori Good  | 1 comments Hello! I’m sorry I’m late to the game! My name is Kori and I’m from the United States! I came across this group on an iInstagram thread and I’ve been looking for a book club. I’ve had a goodreads account for awhile, but haven’t really used it much so I’m just turning over a whole new leaf here. 😂

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments hello and welcome! there's no such thing as being late and i think you're right on time. browse around the discussions and i hope some of the books we're reading tickle your fancy.

message 26: by Hollie (new)

Hi Kori! Welcome to “Safety in Numbers”!!! Thanks for joining! Please tell your book friends about this group, the more the merrier! Where abouts in the States do you live? As you can see from previous comments, we have people from all over, which I love! So interesting! So what genres do you like to read? I like to think that there is something here for everyone as each month we hop from genre to genre. We start a new book on the 1st of each month, and you can find out what book we are reading next in the “Book Schedule 2019” thread. I try to give a couple of weeks notice to give you all chance to get hold of a copy of the chosen book. As I said on the Instagram thread, the adventure we have just plunged into for March is “Misery” by Stephen King if you want to come along? As Sara said, there is no such thing as being too late in this group. Any questions? Or have I covered everything?

message 27: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Hi all! I’m Dana and I live in the USA with my husband and our 2 cats. I love reading, it’s my release away from “the real world” it helps me forget about work stress and I just love how many adventures I get to go on through books. I’m really excited to join this group and I hope to start participating in the monthly group reads.

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara (literary-cat) | 26 comments hello and welcome! i hope you like it here and enjoy the books we read!

message 29: by Hollie (new)

Hi Dana! Welcome to “Safety in numbers”! I completely agree about reading making life a lot more fun! What genres do you like to read? Where about in the U.S.A are you from? I live in England and Summer has just begun here. (I am not much of a Summer person as I don’t like the heat.) I don’t know if you are aware that the book we are reading at the moment is “A game of thrones”, have you watched the T.V series? This is such a big book that we have extended it over 2 months, please feel free to catch up if this book interests you, and join in the discussion thread to share your thoughts and feelings during the adventure. Sara and I are both enjoying it so far. We will be starting a new book on August 1st. X

message 30: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments I like to read historical fiction, young adult, romance and gothic horror. I’m currently from a small town in western Massachusetts, but last year my husband and I bought a house in Vermont, it’s actually the house my grampa built and it’s near all my family so I’m a few years we plan to move up there permanently. I did see that you are reading Game of Thrones. I definitely watched the series and was so unhappy with the last couple seasons that I have been wanting to read the books to make up for it. I am going to join your read, I broke it down and think as long as I can read like 35-50 pages each day I should finish it by the last day of the month.

message 31: by Hollie (new)

I love historical fiction too! I have just Googled Vermont, it looks absolutely beautiful!! I have heard a lot of people say that the A.G.O.T television series was very disappointing. But the books are meant to be very different and much better. If I don't already have a book lined up for the next month, I usually pick a member of the group at random to choose one, it often sways me if someone has showed interest in the group and really made an effort to get involved. As a welcome to "Safety in Numbers" gift would you like to choose the group read for August Dana? : )

message 32: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Yea Vermont is really small, and quiet. The town our house is in is called Topsham (pronounced tops-sum) and I’d love to pick the book!! Thanks! I’ve really gotten into Kate Morton books this year, it’s funny because I’ve had like 3 of her books and have put them off for several years but after reading The Secret Keeper earlier this year I’ve decided I NEED to read the others this year as well.

Honestly I’m not sure which one to pick, the options are:

The Distant Hours —
The summary is : “It starts with a letter, lost for half a century and unexpectedly delivered to Edie’s mother on a Sunday afternoon. The letter leads Edie to Milderhurst Castle, where the eccentric Blythe spinsters live and where, she discovers, her mother was billeted during World War II. The elder Blythe sisters are twins and have spent most of their lives caring for their younger sister, Juniper, who hasn’t been the same since her fiancé jilted in 1941.
Inside the decaying castle, Edie searches for her mother’s past but soon learns there are other secrets hidden in its walls. The truth of what happened in “the Distant Hours” has been waiting a long time for someone to find it. In this enthralling romantic thriller, Morton pays homage to the classic gothic fiction, spinning a rich and intricate web of mystery, suspense, and lost love.”

OR

The Forgotten Garden —
The summary is : “A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book—a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by a dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday, they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and very little to go on, “Nell” sets out to trace her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell’s death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. A spellbinding tale of mystery and self-discovery, The Forgotten Garden will take hold of your imagination and never let go.”

So if anyone else who plans to join nexts months group read has a preference between these books I’d love to know. I’m happy to read either one of them.

message 33: by Hollie (new)

I vote for “the distant hours!!” X

message 34: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Sounds good to me!

message 35: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Hi Dana and welcome to the group. I think both of the books you suggested sound great! I also love to read to escape the stress of real life and I love that I can live adventures through the author’s words without even leaving my couch.

message 36: by Hollie (new)

I will put “The distant hours” by Kate Morton on the schedule thread. Please feel free to invite all your book friends and family into this group Dana, the more adventurers the merrier! X

message 37: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Awesome!! Thanks!

message 38: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments Hello! My name is Kendra and I live in Rhode Island, USA with my husband (who is an avid reader like myself). Dana and I have been friends since college, and she invited me to this lovely group. :)

I've always loved reading and usually have about three books in my "currently reading" stack...I enjoy just about every genre and think it's fun to skip around!

I'm excited to join this group, read lots more, and get to know all of you. Thanks for "The Distant Hours" suggestion, Dana--I can't wait to read it!

message 39: by Hollie (new)

Hi Kendra! Welcome to “Safety In Numbers”, it’s so nice to have you join the group!! As I said to Dana please feel free to invite your friends and family to join the group, I don’t know if Dana told you but the group read for this month is “A Game Of Thrones” (Book 1) If you would like to catch up? Have you watched the T.V series? If yes, what did you think? It is 10:50pm here in England, so my copy of A.G.O.T and I are off to bed, will chat more tomorrow. Goodnight everyone!

message 40: by Dana (new)

Dana (danaelaine) | 178 comments Yay Kendra!! I am so glad you joined!! I can’t wait to hear some of your book suggestions as well! And to read and discuss books together monthly. :)

message 41: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 89 comments Thanks guys! I actually read GOT quite a while back (I think in 2009 or 2010)...never watched the show but my best friend updates me on it all the time, haha. Anyway, I'll be ready to add my comments to that thread as people finish it up! :)

message 42: by Shawnda (new)

Shawnda M. | 32 comments Welcome to the group Kendra. I read like you do seems like a little bit of everything or else I get bored. I have a stack of about 7-10 books in my to read pile at any time terrified I will end up fishing and have nothing on hand to read next :)

message 43: by Clarice (new)

Clarice Peach (brokensafety) | 5 comments Hello! I'm a married mom of three and own a retirement planning business. I recently finished East of Eden and was quite bummed that I was unable to share the experience with anyone. I decided to join a book club to prevent the same problem from happening in the future. Looking forward to reading with you all.

message 44: by Hollie (new)

Hi Clarice! Welcome to “Safety in numbers”! Where abouts in America are you from? We are from all over in this group, I live in a town called Essex in England. And you own a retirement home? That must be a busy job especially with 3 children! How do you find time to read?? Lol. I completely agree that it’s so much nicer to be able to discuss a book during or after reading it rather than going on the adventure alone. What genres do you like to read, we have a nice mix here with different genres each month. I don’t know if you have noticed in the book schedule but for the September read we have just started a book of the young adult genre, Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson if you would like to join in? If not just hop on for the ride when a chosen read of the month takes your fancy! : )

message 45: by Clarice (new)

Clarice Peach (brokensafety) | 5 comments Hello, Hollie. Thank you for the warm welcome. I live in Austin, Texas. I am a Financial Advisor. There's a lot of flexibility in my schedule. I travel a few times a month to meet with clients, but I work from home when there are no scheduled meetings. I am interested in reading across many genres, but I feel that classics seem to stick with me the longest. Toads and Diamonds has been requested from my local library, and I just received an email that it's ready for pickup. I will likely start reading it this weekend.

message 46: by Hollie (new)

Great! I love how in this group we have people from all over! Yet thanks to goodreads despite the distance between us, we are still able to enjoy adventures together to the same places in our heads. If you read messages from the previous members who have joined in the introduction thread, you will see where everyone is from. : )

message 47: by Hollie (new)

Also Clarice, please feel free to invite your friend and family bookworms into this group who also might enjoy coming along on our adventures.

Safety in numbers, never go into a book alone....

unread topics | mark unread